questions about balance of certain feat ideas

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

questions about balance of certain feat ideas

Post by Prak »

ok, so I'm thinking about putting together a feat that allows Dragons to modify their breath weapon so that they can use it as an actual attack(normally a disadvantage, except when you think of things such as sneak attack), and either making a one-trick feat, or stacking in some of the meta-breath stuff from draconomicon for a RoW style scaling feat. My question is, would that be balanced?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Re: questions about balance of certain feat ideas

Post by RandomCasualty »

How does it work as an attack exactly?

Is it still an area effect, and it just takes an attack action, meaning they can put it in their full attack routine?

Or is this more like "as a standard action, make a ranged touch attack. If you succeed, deal damage equal to your breath weapon damage."

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was thinking more like they make a ranged touch attack and deal a portion of their normal breath weapon damage, maybe like an attack roll with damage equal to 3/4 breath weapon damage, this is counted as a use of the dragon's breath weapon and can be used with such things as sneak attack, sudden strike, skirmish, death strike, etc.

think of it as the dragon just hocking an energy loogie, for lack of a better term, rather than using a sustained blast.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I was thinking of doing same with either Reserve Feats or spells that heal or deal damage, or maybe all of it.
Don't know where to start either.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well mine is pretty is pretty easy, I'm just curious as to whether it's balanced at all...

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

It's a ranged touch attack with targets restricted to those that they could affect with their breath weapon normally.

So Line-using dragons could get say 4 attacks, but only in a line.

Cone-using dragons could attack anyone within their normal Cone area of effect.

Recharge time is reduced by one round (1d4-1).

That's not shabby actually.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

so should that be it, or should it be a RoW style feat with some standard meta-breath feats stacked in?