Cool Ring of Counterspells Trick

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Cool Ring of Counterspells Trick

Post by Lago_AM3P »

The way magical items work, if you have several on the same location only one of them work.

The thing you do is load up on like 5 of these, put them on each finger. Put dispel magic/greater dispel magic in each of them.

When the ring saves you(r cleric) from a round of debuffs, drop the ring as a free action and move on to the next one. Pick up your rings after the fight, reload, do it again. Smile as the only thing that you even remotely fear is mordenkainen's disjunction, and there's an item in Arms and Equipment that will take care of /that/, too.

Rock, rock on.
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Re: Cool Ring of Counterspells Trick

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Similarly, you can get a glove of item storing for each hand, and with the rapid reload feat and the two-weapon fightin' chain your cleric can have dual crossbows.

Normally, bows are way better, especially in this edition, but you can enhance (abuse) this by loading up on that one spell in Savage Species that adds elemental damage to your weapons and with spell-storing arrows.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

That does work, sort of. But here's the big question:

Why the hell do you care if people go out of their way to debuff you?

Seriously. If they have the same caster level as you did when you activated your Karma Beads and cast all your buffs - then maybe as many as half your buffs will go down, and you won't die. I mean, they could be hitting you with Disintegrate or Implosion or something instead.

Debuffing is one of the crappiest tactics ever, and anything you can do to encourage foolios to partake of it is gravy. I think you should write "I am the recipient of many mighty buff spells" on your shield in Draconic. It will encourage people to cast greater dispelling instead of something which has any chance whatsoever of taking you out of the combat.

-Username17
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Why would any of the rings work if you wore mutliples?

I have always read that rule as "put on two or more rings, and none of them work."

Also, debuff Dispels target the the spell on you, and not you. Since your saves/SR don't ever come into whether a spell on you is dispelled or not, then you are obviously not the target of the spell.

Good try.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Oh heck no, otherwise you could stop a cursed ring just by putting on a Ring of Featherfall, and Gygax would never have that!

The way it works is that if you are wearing a ring on one hand, if you put on a second ring on that hand, the second one doesn't work. Which means that if you have a fire and forget ring, then yes you could stack up several of them and drop them sequentially as their power went off and you'd be good to go.

Which doesn't answer the larger question of why you'd care.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Tag teams?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Tag teams?

Even better. Debuffs are single target, Implosion is not.

-Username17
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Why? Frank, I'm surprised that you have to ask this question.

I need to continually dominate the party fighter-types and monks and make them feel worthless. Any threat to my continual powergaming will not be tolerated, even if it is really of no threat to my party and is only cosmetic.

Now watch me brutally crush the fighter/3.5E Knight Protector's will with my 500 foot spiked cleric penis of door. Tee hee.

</sarcasm>
</maybe>