Fearful censorship or publicity stunt?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Fearful censorship or publicity stunt?

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7679151.stm
BBC NEWS: Game delayed over Koran phrases wrote: Sony has postponed the global release of a much-anticipated video game due to concerns that it may offend Muslims.

Copies of LittleBigPlanet are being recalled from shops worldwide after it emerged that a background music track contained two phrases from the Koran.

Sony issued an apology for any offence that its use of the backing track might have caused.

The changed version of LittleBigPlanet will now go on sale on 5 November in the UK and 29 October in the US.

Trial judge

A statement on the LittleBigPlanet website said: "We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Koran.

"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence this may have caused."

Speaking to the BBC LittleBigPlanet creators Media Molecule said it was alerted to the problem by a Muslim gamer who had been playing a beta, or trial, version of the game.

The music in question comes from a Grammy award winning Somalian artist and is known to have been available through online music stores for months.

In an e-mail the gamer who spotted the Koranic phrases warned that mixing music and words from Islam's most holy text could be considered deeply offensive by Muslims. He suggested producing a software patch to remove the music.

Media Molecule said it did produce a patch but, following consultation with Sony, decided to go further.

"We decided to do a global recall to ensure that there was no possible way anyone may be offended by the music in the game," said a Sony spokesman.

"A new version of the game without the music has been produced and will be released shortly so that anyone anywhere in the world can enjoy LittleBigPlanet," he added.

In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.

LittleBigPlanet has been described as a game about making games.

It lets gamers build their own playground levels and then swap them with other players over the PlayStation Network.

Everything that can be seen in LittleBigPlanet can also be created by gamers - from textures, characters, to objects and levels.

Manzoor Moghal, of the Muslim Forum think-tank, explained that words from the Koran should not be set to music because the words are seen to have come directly from God.

He added: "We must compliment Sony for taking decisive action by withdrawing these games immediately, and releasing a version that is not offensive to Muslims."
Some points:
1*) The double standard.
-A game which "...shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of enemies are killed." is deemed acceptable by Sony when it is set in a christian church.
-A game aimed at children which has two phrases from the Koran** in a song which has been on itunes for months, which hasn't stirred controversy.
2) This religious sensitivity is possibly motivated by fear.
3) This religious sensitivity is possibly motivated by the desire to create a publicity stunt to hype the game (possibly before or after the "offensive material" was known).
3b) The "original" is now a collectible. http://cgi.ebay.com/Recalled-LittleBigP ... 286.c0.m14

*Cathedral row over video war game: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 736809.stm

**From an unconfirmed source, the phrase is apparently: "1- "?? ??? ????? ?????" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- "?? ?? ????? ???" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish')."
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

So what's the song?!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Well I hope it's a publicity stunt, because otherwise this sorta thing just sickens me.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The funny thing is the guy who sent the email didn't want this to happen. He just said that they should offer a downloadable patch.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Umm, killing things in churches isn't a major tenet of Christianity.

Repeating phrases from the Koran is.

It's not really a double standard.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I find it odd that, in a game about slaughtering people, many found the inclusion of a Catholic church to be offensive. I'm sure I can twist this to mean "Christianity is more offensive than regular non-religious violence".

Anyway, presumably they didn't think the church thing would be a problem, but people got butthurt about it and they said "Well, we're not changing a whole level. So, um, suck it." They didn't notice the Koran phrases, someone pointed it out, so they said "We can easily change a music track".

And they could just be trying to avoid getting into any more trouble - given what happens every time they make an ad.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Look, this is no different than not including nipples because it'd upset Christians.

C'mon, really.

*sigh*

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Damn it.
Muslims, just don't buy it if it offends you.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

And why can't we have games with boobies?

Or games with overt racism?

Or... I'm sure eventually I'd find one taboo that bugs you.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

see, I challenge you to find a taboo that bugs me enough that I'd raise a fuss over it. I think about the worst thing a game could contain that'd bug would be requiring coprophilia to reach a further point and I'd do one of several things:
1) not buy it, if something bugs me enough that I don't want to play it, I don't, and I recognize the right of coprophiles to enjoy the same game, just away from me.
2) if it were an other wise interesting game, cheat code the "coprophilia level" so I don't have to deal with it
3) if the game were otherwise interesting, but I couldn't cheat code the squickymaterial away, suck it up, get it over with, and move on.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Crissa wrote:Umm, killing things in churches isn't a major tenet of Christianity.

Repeating phrases from the Koran is.

It's not really a double standard.

-Crissa
So someone's religion should infringe free speech?

No, religions should not be allowed to determine how the public uses their words, imagery or anything else.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

I think the point isn't that we should go around censoring stuff because some oddballs somewhere might nit pick it out and moan about it.

I think the point is that we already do that, a lot, it isn't news.

I mean we've bent over backwards and let the anti nipple lobby win the entire war on basically all of hollywood back as far as the 1980s, an exceptionally minor accommodation for some other group absolutely pales in comparison.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PL gets it in one.

-Crissa
RiotGearEpsilon
Knight

Post by RiotGearEpsilon »

Seriously, they aren't doing this because they're afraid Muslims will get mad, they're doing this because they want Muslims to BUY THE GAME. This is just free-market capitalism.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Eh, I wasn't intending on buying the game anyway, this doesn't bother me.

Although I remember the fire temple in Zelda 64 had Arabic in the background. It really added to the atmosphere. Except I don't think they were quoting the qu'ran.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

PhoneLobster wrote:I mean we've bent over backwards and let the anti nipple lobby win the entire war on basically all of hollywood back as far as the 1980s, an exceptionally minor accommodation for some other group absolutely pales in comparison.
We really need to stop doing that too. The nipples are evil crew is insane, the public needs to be taught that fact.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Of course they are insane. I mean how incredibly twisted do you have to be to hate nipples? Female ones no less!

But for some reason when someone trundles out their nipples are evil lobby spokes clown or whatever instead of everyone in the media and politics pointing and laughing or kicking them in the nuts until they give back our nipples they get treated seriously and with courtesy.

There is some stuff and there are certain people who should never be lent even the barest modicum of credibility.

When someone gets up and starts carping on about whatsherfaces famous wardrobe malfunction being a moral outrage and corrupting influence or indeed important at all then nothing they say should be taken seriously.
SphereOfFeetMan
Knight-Baron

Post by SphereOfFeetMan »

Maj wrote:So what's the song?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlebigplanet#Release
Wikipedia wrote:The song in question was entitled "Tapha Niang" by Malian singer, Toumani Diabaté, himself a devout Muslim.[45][46]
Here is a link to the song in question on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMO9YVVfHQ
Draco_Argentum wrote:No, religions should not be allowed to determine how the public uses their words, imagery or anything else.
Agreed.
PhoneLobster wrote:Of course they are insane.
Yeah.

Back when I found out what the MPAA was, I couldn't believe that it existed. I couldn't understand how people could let it continue to exist. Then I realized it was just a confluence of corporate monopoly and crazy people.

So, at what time in the future do people think that the MPAA will die?

A relevant link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Film_Is_Not_Yet_Rated
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Oh, an Wal-Mart decided that they didn't give a rat's ass about the recall, they had the discs already and sold them. A friend of mine has the un-edited game.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Thank you Sphere!

:)
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

They're not actually recalling the game Count, they're issuing an online patch to remove/block the 'offending content'. So everyone in the first batch will have it, they just won't really be able to enjoy it if they also want to enjoy the online portions of the game (whcih are fvcking huge).
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."