Where's the Andy C. loves his FTR/BARB dwarf smoking gun?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Where's the Andy C. loves his FTR/BARB dwarf smoking gun?

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I need to find this again because certain people won't believe me.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm bumping this again on the off-chance someone remembers.

C'mon, there's gotta be a smoking gun somewhere.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

This is the closest I could find on the subject.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030715x
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20031102a
dragon_child: Why the power up for shapechange? It was already one of the most powerful 9th-level spells, and allowing it access to Supernatural abilities gave it many abilities that were far too powerful. For example, the barghest's feed ability, the phoenix's immolation, and powerful dragon breath weapons (which are also stronger then spell guidelines for 9th-level spells). What was the reasoning behind giving out these abilities in shapechange?

Andy: We felt it was important to add supernatural powers to the top-level spells. We are looking at some of the corner-case effects of that now to see if they need addressing.
Hey, look, it's Dragon Child! Hi, Dragon Child!

dragon_traner_2000: Don't you think the fighters should have gotten more of a boost like the new barbarian and ranger?

Andy: I guess the obvious answer is "no," otherwise we would have changed them. But seriously, we're pretty happy with the fighter. The class gained a few more bonus feat options, but in general we didn't think the class needed any help.

Rich Redman: In my opinion, the fighter is one of those classes that's right the way it is. Other classes needed a boost to catch up!

Ed: Fighters have so many feats that they can build themselves into just about anything they want.

Dave: One of the things we've found in testing is that the fighter stacks up well against his +1 base attack bonus counterparts -- and multiclass guys -- when it comes to smacking down appropriate bad guys.
Hnh. So much for my awesome theory.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Epic Fail is Epic.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

john_sugden: Reports indicate that the new polymorph grants extraordinary attacks, but not other extraordinary qualities. If this is so, do druids gain no plant extraordinary abilities (beyond attacks) when they gain the ability to take plant form?

WotC_Andy: That's correct. There are simply too many game-breaking special qualities held by even simple monsters (plants and animals) to give those out to any druid with wild shape. That tells me that some great feats are waiting to be written, granting one or more special qualities to characters who wild shape or polymorph into the appropriate forms.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The fail *pant* is too much *gasp* to handle.

They're called types, Andy. You should look into them.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yes, spellcasting is an untagged special attack. That makes it a "natural ability special attack" which as we know is not broken at all. On the other hand, low light vision is a special quality that is held by many animals, and that shit be broken as hell!

-Username17
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

FrankTrollman wrote:Yes, spellcasting is an untagged special attack. That makes it a "natural ability special attack" which as we know is not broken at all. On the other hand, low light vision is a special quality that is held by many animals, and that shit be broken as hell!

-Username17
:rofl:

Edit: Epic use of post 666.
Last edited by Roy on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Dave Noonan in the link wrote:Dave: One of the things we've found in testing is that the fighter stacks up well against his +1 base attack bonus counterparts -- and multiclass guys -- when it comes to smacking down appropriate bad guys.
Wow. And here's proof that they only playtested classes against similar classes (e.g. fighter types vs. fighter types, divine caster vs. divine casters).
SunTzuWarmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by SunTzuWarmaster »

LOL.

Yea, Shapechange should give you MORE and BETTER level 9 spells, that was our intent.

No, turning into a plant shouldn't make you immune to lightning, that was our intent.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

More importantly, why are so many plants immune to lightning? I can accept the Shambling Mound being a special creature with that booster effect, but there are several plants with lightning immunity/resistance. Last I checked, lightning made trees explode.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

False. Lightning causes nitrogen fixation, which is a necessary for plant survival. Ergo, being struck by lightning is beneficial for trees.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

Is that serious? The amount of energy delivered can cause many forms of plant life to simply explode or become reduced to ash in the intense heat. A single lightning bolt can reduce a tree into millions of pieces. Variantly, it can do no serious damage at all... it's almost random.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

To answer your question: no.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Sorry PR, you don't pull internet sarcasm quite like Frank can. :tongue:
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

It was obviously sarcasm.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

It was a failure.
Last edited by TavishArtair on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

TavishArtair wrote:It was a failure.
Cry more. Christ.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant wrote:
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Be magnanimous when your intent was not discerned, please.

However, plant death upon applying of voltage is not actually random. However, since the actual voltage, amperage, and location of lightning strikes, and form of plants vary wildly, it may seem random.

-Crissa
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

So you're saying lightning follows the D&D damage system? Could roll all 6's, could roll all 1's? ^^
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

imagicka: So, Mary-Elizabeth, tell us about your playtesting character.
Mary Elizabeth: Well, she's a drow cleric of Eilistraee, epic-level, and she wields a mean silver bastard sword. And I'm finished so that Ed and Andy can have their meaty question! ;-)
I think the quotation speaks for itself on the WotC crew's playtesting methodology.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

D&D lightning is nothing like real-world lightning. In D&D, instead of the electricity going through negatively charged objects easily - valence 1 materials - instead the magic makes the electrons forcibly dance out of their material, a cascade failure of basic electronics as things which normally absorb and conduct instead burst into radiant horrible fury of energy.

Hence wearing conductors vs magic lightning is bad, but wearing wood is good, but the opposite is true iRL.

-Crissa
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

I was making a joke, and you bludgeoned me with science! XD
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

<sings>She bludgeoned me - with science!</sings>
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Crissa wrote: Hence wearing conductors vs magic lightning is bad, but wearing wood is good, but the opposite is true iRL.

-Crissa
Are sure about this? It sounds like you are saying I want to be wearing metal boots in a high voltage area, not rubber ones. It is my understanding the opposite is true.