"Conanesque" RPG

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

"Conanesque" RPG

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Recently, there was a thread on "Conanesque" RPGs. A dice pool system was suggested. I'm still learning Cthulhutech, and I'll have a decent chunk of free time when I head to another city for a few days to attend a relative's funeral. I could also use something to jolly me up, preferably an extended dose of my own sense of humor. Thus, I have concluded that I will attempt to put together an RPG framework using the Framewerk system for a combination of amusement, self-education, and possible utility to others.

Poker dice do seem vaguely Conanesque, after all. Real men care not for incoherent iterative probability. In any case, I'm probably heading out in a few hours. If I catch any of your suggestions, I'll try and add something to the first draft. If not, I'll ideally be back where I have reasonably constant access to wireless Internet by Monday, and I'll post what I have on either Monday or Tuesday. Here's my outline so far.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

RPG Based on Cthulhutech's Framewerk system, for vaguely Conan-like adventures
Name Pending

Races:

Dude
A tough, cunning race known for their beefy adventures and incredible endurance

Bear
Feared for their fell magical powers and deadly warriors

Dorf
Short and hairy fellows whose competency is usually inversely proportional to how drunk they are.

Orc
A race of pig-men, enthusiastic but incompetent warriors. Good at digging and cooking.

Ork
A race of green-skinned artisans fond of creating elaborate cities.

Orx
A race closely related to the orks. They can be distinguished by their glowing, brightly colored visors, and their tendency toward learning how to hack into and reprogram objects like oxcarts and crates.

Classes (archetypes (packages of skills and traits for standard point buy)):

Manly Guy who Fights Stuff with GAR

Swordy Guy who Fights Stuff with Swording

Pretty Guy who Fights Stuff with Skill and Treachery

Magicky Guy who is usually an NPC

OGAR who Crushes Stuff with SQUISHING

Bear, Who is a Bear, and Later a Different Color Bear with Thumbs, and Spider Powers, and Lasers.

Skills:

Athletic Endeavors
Chicanery (Possible Specialization: Mendacity)
Erudition
Hacking
Mountebank
Pillaging
Pugilism
Pugilism WITH SWORDS (Specialization by weapon)
Skullduggery
Thaumaturgy
Transaction

Traits:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Disclaimer: Sexism is lame. As such, I would like to state that there shall be no gender-based restrictions on race, class, or ability selection. A female Dude Manly Guy who Fights Stuff with GAR is just just as viable as a male one in this RPG.

Disclaimer 2: Some content will need to be removed or renamed if this is to be used as a serious RPG.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Just thought I'd point out that there's an actual Conan RPG by TSR. It is somewhat sexist and looks just a tiny bit like this. You much want to check it out, if only for laughs.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Does it have bears as a player race and a character archetype who builds up power by posing and flexing his/her muscles?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

It's still Tuesday where I am.

Dude

+2 Tenacity
+1 Presence
+1 Strength

Bear

+2 Strength
+2 Tenacity
-2 Intellect

Thumbless: Bears lack thumbs and substantial fingers. You can't pick up objects, wield weapons, or use most devices that require fine manipulation.

Voiceless: Bears cannot speak intelligible words. They must learn to write to communicate.

Natural Armor: Bears have tough hide and a layer of thick fur. Their armor increases by 1/1/1 and they are resistant to cold.

Natural Weapons: Claws and Teeth. (Damage +1 for both)

Bears may take some exclusive racial traits.

Dorf

-1 Perception
-2 Presence
+1 Intellect

Dorfs may take up to 30 points of flaws, rather than the standard 10.

Dorfs may take some exclusive racial traits.

Dorfs follow a different drunkenness progression than the other races.