slaves, servants and apprentices

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

slaves, servants and apprentices

Post by Prak »

So, short of taking Leadership, how would I go about getting my character in D&D 3.5 slaves, servants, apprentices, etc? I'm thinking, since none but maybe the apprentices will have any affect on combat, that I may just see if my DM would be okay with me obtaining them through roleplay and payment...

any ideas?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

There's hireling rules for low-level types.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

are they in Arms and Equipment or what? I seem to recall DMG having something... what's the best version of them in?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Because I am a lazy bum who is too tired to go looking around through books, here is the relevent bit from the SRD.
Coach cab - 3 cp per mile
Hireling, trained - 3 sp per day
Hireling, untrained - 1 sp per day
Messenger - 2 cp per mile
Road or gate toll - 1 cp
Ship’s passage - 1 sp per mile
Coach Cab: The price given is for a ride in a coach that transports people (and light cargo) between towns. For a ride in a cab that transports passengers within a city, 1 copper piece usually takes you anywhere you need to go.

Hireling, Trained: The amount given is the typical daily wage for mercenary warriors, masons, craftsmen, scribes, teamsters, and other trained hirelings. This value represents a minimum wage; many such hirelings require significantly higher pay.

Hireling, Untrained: The amount shown is the typical daily wage for laborers, porters, cooks, maids, and other menial workers.

Messenger: This entry includes horse-riding messengers and runners. Those willing to carry a message to a place they were going anyway may ask for only half the indicated amount.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

cool, thanks Grek.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There's the Mentor feat from DMG2.

-Username17
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

We roleplay that stuff, though slaves/appretices/hirelings have usually no combat applications. Sometimes their spot and listen checks come in hadny though.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, assuming I was allowed to, I could conceivably take an apprentice now and level him up as I do, since I'm currently 2nd level (and gestalt, but let's not worry about that...)

I may have to talk to my dm about that... it is pretty much a solo character...

though the thought of a second level character having an apprentice is just... odd...

The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

Prak_Anima wrote:gestalt
Off-topic, I know, but I really need to know - I've seen this term pop up a few times already on these boards. Is this http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/class ... acters.htm what you're talking about ?
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Yes.

As for the apprentice bit, eh. It's what NPCs do.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

(Thread-) Necromancy, if you are Evil there is the mother cyst feat. Permanent Domination without XP cost...
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I think that AEG has better rules than the ones in the DMG. Just have your DM tweak the mercenary rules and you have a mechanic for buying higher level servants. Lords of Madness has a pricing guideline for slaves in the Neogi section.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Animate Dead is Instantaneous and gives you ongoing control over the creations. So if you Grab a scroll of animate dead or cast animate dead out of a ring of spell storing you get a pile of controlled undead that you keep until they are destroyed. Even if you aren't even a caster.

-Username17