Newest 4E Update

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Break
NPC

Newest 4E Update

Post by Break »

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdateJuly2009.pdf

Takes care of some of the biggest issues - Rain of Blows is now three attacks and got a damage nerf, Tempest Fighters lose some of their striker-like ability, Battlerager temp HP no longer stacks, Guileful Switch can no longer grant an extra turn, and RRoT only grants crit damage and nothing else. In other news, horse archers, Demigods, and Orbizards still win D&D, and are untouched in this update.

And this was after months and months of these issues being pointed out.

Also, hi. Long time lurker, first time poster.
Last edited by Break on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

*watches all the people with nerfed FotMs go to the boards and /sub*

Guess they farmed out the endgame instances by now.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

So they still haven't addressed orbizards.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Just when I think we're out of the days of padded sumo, they pull me back in!

Looks like my fighter is now going to become a ranger. Dumb shits.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Just when I think we're out of the days of padded sumo, they pull me back in!

Looks like my fighter is now going to become a ranger. Dumb shits.
I honestly did not expect this image search to yield results.

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Psychic Robot wrote:So they still haven't addressed orbizards.
Yeah, which is fucking sad.

At least they nerfed the battlerager. Now he has to hit an enemy (as opposed to being hit by an enemy) to get his temp HP, which is a big nerf.

Why they refuse to fix the orbizard is beyond me though... I mean wtf. I hate WotC's policy towards just ignoring broken stuff instead of fixing it.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yes! Now I know what the "optimal" 4E party will be for the game, Lord Marshall and 4 Orbizards.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

And after they get through nerfing Orbizards, we'll... uh...

Wait, what happens then?

But anyway, this is the kind of bullshit change that makes me mad.

Now instead of seeing a good melee party being a tactical warlord, a melee ranger, a tempest fighter, a battlerager fighter, and a polearm fighter... a good melee party will be a tactical warlord and four melee rangers.

They haven't actually made things more balanced or reduced the power level of the game, they just reduced the number of viable builds.

This would be, like in 3.5E, celebrating if only the wizard and sorcerer got blammed while the divine classes were left as-is. It's a change that only stratifies play and doesn't make things more balanced.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:And after they get through nerfing Orbizards, we'll... uh...

Wait, what happens then?
You wait until Divine Power or Divine Power 2 when they finally release enough Avenger powers that you can do decent damage and still ht a ridiculous amount of the time. Possibly by stapling Ranger attacks onto it.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

They apparently aren't ever going to nerf Orbizards.

Literally people were complaining about Orbizards before the books were even released. It was shown that they could sleep rape people.

What was WotC's response? To release the adventurers vault with Phrenic Crown, Cunning Sword, and Orbs that make you roll twice for each save and take the low.

The response to "lol Orbizard wins once per encounter" was "lol, now he wins on every save ends spell."
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It's not even a hard fix for the Orbizards. Someone on the WotC just has a gigantic hard-on for wizards, since they're the biggest SADsacks in the game (at least until Arcane Power, but even that's trivial) and they got the most powers printed for them out of any class in the core book.

Unlike the battlerager fighter and tempest fighter gutting, I do approve of doing something to the orbizard since 'I win, biatch' when everyone else has to slug through fights just makes people angry. But even so, that's because wizards in general have the best toys--maybe this will change when Divine Power comes out, but I really doubt it, since Visions of Avarice is so good that 3rd Edition Wizards would be tripping over themselves trying to get that spell. And the game is rife with that kind of nonsense.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Interesting note: did you know that there are only 3 core gaming products for 4th edition? It's true. While there are many "core books" for 4e, indeed practically all supplemental material has the word "core book" on it, only the first three books are considered Core Gaming Products. What the hell the PHB2 is a core book of is left to your imagination.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Presumably it's like an apple core: you're meant to throw it in the bin.

And maybe they'll next fix the CR 3 monster with hundreds of hit points.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I still can't get over it. They completely eliminated the purpose of the tempest fighter and pretty much killed off a reason to be a battlerager fighter.

Dual Strike was the Tempest Fighters' sole reason for existing. If they don't have Dual Strike then the class is completely pointless, since they now dish out single-target damage comparable to a friggin' Warden and perform the 'role' just as well--and now they even get laughably outdamaged by Polearm fighters.

There is also no point to the Battlerager fighter now. That variant now has a time limit associated with it, which now happens at around level 11 or so. I have Martial Power in it, aside from Crushing Surge, an At-Will, the 'invigorating' powers suck. So they won't be using nor selecting them. Which means that at that point, for the first five rounds or so of combat they will be getting no use out of their class ability.

And guess what? STR/CON characters suck. Hammer Rhythm is horrible now since they're +2 proficiency weapons and we have the Weapon Expertise feats. There is no reason in the fucking universe anymore to grab any kind of axe with fullblades and talenta sharrashes around the corner. This is in addition to the inherent weakness of having a bad NAD.

How could they screw this up so bad? Fuck, I hate this edition!

Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

It really looks like an MMOG now. Patches after patches to rebalance the system.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

So basically melee classes got nice things (at least relative to the system's standards) and WotC decided to restore the wizard supremacy that is assumed to be the core of D&D. So I wonder if the 4e fanbase is complaining about this return to 3.5 dynamics or falling over themselves to justify it.
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

The latter I think.

But then, would anyone expect anything else than Wizard supremacy from a company named Wizards of the Coast? /wink
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Fuchs wrote:It really looks like an MMOG now. Patches after patches to rebalance the system.
Patches are a good thing. We have the internet, might as well use it. That still doesn't excuse shipping a shitty product to begin with, but generally I approve of patches.
Murtak
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Unless the patches simply start a cycle of balance adjustments, responding to the latest class/power/tactic combo from the optimizer forums.
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

This is hardly MMO-style patching. Useless powers like Careful Strike aren't even being touched, and lots of the overpowered stuff is still untouched.
Lago PARANOIA wrote:They completely eliminated the purpose of the tempest fighter....
Well, I thought that the purpose of the tempest fighter was supposed to be a Defender that could dual-wield. The fact they outdamaged everyone else wasn't the intended purpose.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

We're talking about a system where using an axe instead of a sword, or being tied to different but otherwise identical stats is a new class. So it's only natural that sort of Fail happens.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

MartinHarper wrote:This is hardly MMO-style patching. Useless powers like Careful Strike aren't even being touched, and lots of the overpowered stuff is still untouched.
That sounds exactly like typical MMOG patching to me...
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Lago PARANOIA wrote: There is also no point to the Battlerager fighter now.
Honestly, I don't see how the battlerager is killed off now. The original one was ridiculously powerful and he got nerfed heavily (for good reason). But you still have to remember that you're getting that battlerager power instead of a +1 to attack.

So you hit with one attack, and you gain like 4-5 temp HP. If you use invigorating powers, you miss and still gain that.

That's honestly not bad, because those temp HP add up so you can take 2-3 more hits in a combat.

The battlerager is still better than taking a +1 to hit, but he's no longer the unkillable god of padded sumo that he was.
sake
Knight

Post by sake »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:It's not even a hard fix for the Orbizards.

So what is your perfered fix for Orbizards then? The most common houserule one I've seen is 'it only applies to the first save' but that's so laughingly weak that it makes the staff power seem good by comparison.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

sake wrote: So what is your perfered fix for Orbizards then? The most common houserule one I've seen is 'it only applies to the first save' but that's so laughingly weak that it makes the staff power seem good by comparison.
How is that weak?

You're getting a virtually guaranteed knock out for a monster for 2 rounds. Wand and staff don't even come close to that.