D&D Online becomes free to play

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

D&D Online becomes free to play

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Maximum PC article

So, I'm not sure what to make of the fact that a 3.5-based MMO is going to free play. Is this WotC saying, "It's the previous edition; why try to make money on it"? Or is this WotC saying, "The best way to pump up the brand is to maximize exposure to things based on the previous edition?" Or does this even mean anything?
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I don't even think WotC has any say in it being free to play, they licensed the name and some FR stuff, that's really it. The rest is made up crap.

EDIT: And apparently Eberron crap for the expansion.

Also, WTF, she plays a Monk. I can't imagine that's any more excusable in DD Online then it is 3.5.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

It means that all of Turbine's efforts in gaming are made of fail. I can't believe Asheron's Call is still going, to be honest.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Kaelik wrote:I don't even think WotC has any say in it being free to play, they licensed the name and some FR stuff, that's really it. The rest is made up crap.

Also, WTF, she plays a Monk. I can't imagine that's any more excusable in DD Online then it is 3.5.
Well... it's probably a different game. I very much doubt that an MMO wouldn't start buffing or nerfing classes almost as soon as gameplay began.

Looking at monks... their abilities are different.

Even the feats are different, and Toughness is an actually reccomended skill. It's like Imp Toughness, +1 hp per level, but also +3 HP at first.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Kaelik wrote:I don't even think WotC has any say in it being free to play, they licensed the name and some FR stuff, that's really it. The rest is made up crap.

No, it's only ever been Eberron. There's never been any Forgotten Realms stuff.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

DDO is based on 3.5 but it is not 3.5
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
erik
King

Post by erik »

Is DDO fun? Anyone from here actually play on it/review it?

I'm dying from roleplaying withdrawl and am considering alternative venues. I don't want to play any grinding MMOs, or really any massively multiplayer venue at all. I'd prefer something more limited like a dungeon crawl with a few friends. Sounds like this may be more to my liking... assuming it is fun.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

hogarth wrote:

No, it's only ever been Eberron. There's never been any Forgotten Realms stuff.
They have some FR PrCs I saw, at one point, but whatever. It's still not like WotC can tell Turbine what they have to charge.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Try buying Civilization IV: Complete and Download the Fall From Heaven 2 mod. There's a community who play every weekend and emphasize roleplaying.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

...Their game is shit and it's going to be closed soon?

What really worries me is the possibility of WoW becoming free. The private server where I play would go down the drain.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I tried it at the beginning (one free month).
It had only 10 Levels, but 2 or 4 steps between the levels, where you got Epic Level Feats (they called it something other, but +1 to an Stat is an Epic Level Feat, even if its crap for an Epic Level Feat)
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

WoW is free for the first ten to twenty levels.

...However, they're the only game that's able to live on a sub system in Asia and still compete with other games on persistent players and beat the other games in gross income.

DDO doesn't even have enough content in it to play it through.

-Crissa
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Y'know, I've wondered how free MMOs pay for themselves. Do they have inset ads? Or would we maybe start seeing Pepsiforged in DDO?
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

Usually by offering paid content - new classes, new items, new expansions that you purchase.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

TOZ wrote:Or would we maybe start seeing Pepsiforged in DDO?
That would be kinda awesome.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
TOZ wrote:Or would we maybe start seeing Pepsiforged in DDO?
That would be kinda awesome.
Oh dear.
Actually, I'm a little surprised to find that this game actually interests me. I got a trial disk for DDO with something else a few years ago. As usual, I laughed at the idea of trying an MMO and mostly forgot about it. However, the Eberron setting did have some level of appeal. Perhaps I'll try the game if I find myself overwhelmed with free time and have access to a gaming PC.