[Tome] Psionics!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

[Tome] Psionics!

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The following are intended to be simple, highly modular classes to represent certain psionic superheroic archetypes. They are not caster classes. The abilities are designed to play well with others, and eventual multiclassing with other martial classes is expected.

The Shaper
The shaper has meditated for long hours to become intimately acquainted with her own body. As a result, she displays a remarkable degree of self control.
Hit Die: d12
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Good Saves: Fortitude
Skills Points per Level: 4
Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Heal, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Spot, Swim, Tumble.

Abilities by Level
1: Body Weaponry, Thicken Skin
2: A Thousand Faces, Heightened Senses
3: Compression, Expansion
4: Body Equilibrium, Graft Armaments
5: Extend Reach, Fast Healing
6: Chameleon, Sustenance
7: Adaptation, Regeneration
8: Extra Arms, Fewer Arms
9: Assimilate

All of the following are class features of the Shaper:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shapers are proficient with light armor and simple weapons.

Body Weaponry (Su): You can form one or both hands into great bone spikes, clubs, or claws (dealing piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing damage respectively). All body weapons deal 1d6 damage for every three levels you possess (round up, modify by size), and can be used as either natural or manufactured weapons. Body weaponry can be formed, reformed, or unformed as easily as drawing a weapon.

Thicken Skin (Su): You may grant yourself a natural armor bonus equal to your class level. The thickening of your skin is quite obvious, although you can hide it with a disguise check. Thickening your skin (or returning it to normal) is a swift action.

A Thousand Faces (Su): You can change your appearance at will, as if using the disguise self spell. This affects your body but not your possessions. It is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration of your appearance, within the limits described for the spell.

Heightened Senses (Ex): You gain low-light vision, darkvision 60', blindsense 10', and the scent special quality. If you have one of these abilities from another source, its range doubles.

Compression (Su): You can reduce your size by one step, gaining all the normal bonuses and penalties.

Expansion (Su): You can increase your size by one step, gaining all of the normal bonuses and penalties.

Body Equilibrium (Su): You can adjust your body’s equilibrium to correspond with any solid or liquid that you stand on. Thus, you can walk on water, quicksand, or even a spider’s web without sinking or breaking through (this effect does not confer any resistance to particularly sticky webs). You also gain a competence bonus to Move Silently equal to your level. If you fall from any height while using this power, damage from the impact is halved.

Graft Armaments (Su): You can absorb any wielded or worn items into or out of your body as a move action. You can add the magical and material benefits of grafted weapons to body weaponry and of grafted armor to thickened skin. You can have no more than a heavy load grafted into your body.

Extend Reach (Su): Your natural reach increases by 5’.

Fast Healing (Su): You now have fast healing equal to your class level.

Chameleon (Su): You gain a competence bonus to Hide checks equal to your level, and can hide without using a distraction or cover without penalty.

Sustenance (Ex): You may meditate for four hours to gain the benefits of a full night's rest and three meals.

Adaptation (Su): As a move action, you can adapt yourself to suffer no physical harm from any environmental conditions affecting you. This means that you can take a swim in lava, but you have to survive jumping in first.

Extra Arms (Su): You can form extra limbs. If arms, you can wield two additional weapons (including body weaponry); if wings, you gain a fly speed of double your base land speed (Good); if fins, you gain a swim speed of double your base land speed; if legs, double your base land speed (as well as gaining all the other benefits of multiple motive limbs). You can only form one extra set of ‘useful’ limbs at a time, although you can form as many as you like of nonfunctional tails, wings, tentacles, mandibles, creepy baby arms, and so forth.

Less Arms (Su): You can unform existing limbs. You no longer take a penalty when disguising yourself as a member of another race, so long as you are of an appropriate size and weight.

Regeneration (Su): You gain regeneration 1.

Assimilate (Su): Make a touch attack as a full-round action. If you succeed, you reach out and engulf your enemy, who must make a fortitude save (the DC is Con based). If the save is successful, your enemy takes level*d6 damage. Otherwise, you completely assimilate your foe. All of the equipment of the assimilated creatures is automatically absorbed with graft armament, and you gain a +10 circumstance bonus to disguise checks made to impersonate the assimilated victim. An assimilated creature cannot be reincarnated or resurrected, as it is not truly dead. A wish targeting the shaper (or similar magic) allows the victim a second saving throw to escape; if the shaper so wishes this will automatically succeed.

The Kineticist
The kineticist is good at moving things, eventually gaining the ability to fold space (travel to anywhere in the universe without 'moving').
Hit Die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: Good
Good Saves: Willpower
Skill Points per Level: 4
Skills: Concentration, Craft, Intimidate, Perform, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Spot.
1: Constrict, Far Hand, Telekinetic Attack
2: Blast, Telekinetic Shield
3: Levitate, Inertial Armor
4: Telekinetic Flight, Third Hand
5: Teleport
6: Stolen Breath, Swift Shift
7: Control Winds

All of the following are class features of the Kineticist:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Kineticists are proficient with light armor and simple weapons.

Constrict (Su): You gain a constrict attack, which deals 1d8 damage plus an additional d8 for every three class levels.

Far Hand (Su): You can manipulate an object at close range as though you were actually touching it.

Telekinetic Attack (Su): You can use special attack options at close range. Using this ability requires a free hand; using more than one hand adds a +4 bonus to attack rolls for each additional hand.

Blast (Su): You can end your telekinetic shield (see below) to deal 1d6 piercing and bludgeoning damage per level in a 10' burst, 15' cone, or 30' line with an origin of your square. You never take damage from your own blast. Use of this power is a standard action.

Telekinetic Shield (Su): A cloud of debris floats around you, blocking incoming attacks. Treat a telekinetic shield as a normal spiked shield, except for the following. The shield has no armor check penalty, an armor stealth penalty of -4, and grants a shield bonus of half your character level. Forming a telekinetic shield takes as much time as drawing a weapon, and you can drop it as a free action.

Levitate (Su): You gain a fly speed of 20' (good).

Inertial Armor (Su): You gain a deflection bonus of 1/3 your character level.

Telekinetic Flight (Su): You use your telekinetic talents to boost your flying abilities. Increase your flight speed by 10', and your maneuverability by one class.

Third Hand (Su): Your telekinetic abilities have become second nature to you, and you can act as though you have an additional hand. You can use this hand in conjunction with far hand and telekinetic shield as normal.

Teleport (Sp): You can use greater teleport at will (self plus 50 lbs of objects only).

Stolen Breath: You gain the Stolen Breath fiend feat, even if you don’t meet the prerequisites. This allows you to keep any creature you have pinned in a grapple from breathing.

Swift Shift (Su): You can teleport 30’ as a swift action. You must have line of sight to your destination.

Control Winds (Sp): You can use control winds at will.

Perfected Storm: You can concentrate on control winds as a swift action.

Slow Shift: When using swift shift, you can delay your materialization and choice of destination as long as you like. You can use your senses as normal at both the origin and destination of your shift, but otherwise do not exist and cannot take actions beyond choosing a destination and materializing. Dimensional anchor and similar effects cause you to immediately reappear at your choice of the destination or origin of the shift.
Characters should be able to take exactly as many levels are are needed to get the powers they desire, and then switch to something else.

It is intended that the kineticist's abilities should work with such feats as Insightful Strike and Weapon Finesse. If this is not the case, please explain why it doesn't work and I'll try to fix it.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

CGF, you forgot this one.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

I like the Psychometabolist decently well. The polymorph ability is a bit odd to give out, which version do you mean. Theres two Tome ones plus the WotC mess. I'd probably prefer granting abilities that come from shape changes (like the claws or say wings) rather than either of the Tome polys. Those are more for replacing your whole body,
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

I'd recommend reading Lycanthromancer's .doc for ideas. For example his Metamorphosis is Tome Polymorph fix #2 condensed into a single power with a list of options 6 pages long. Not like I'd use this shit as written, but there's a lot of stuff you can salvage from it.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

[Edit] See the first post. [/Edit]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

[Edit] See the first post. [/Edit]
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Hmm, a per-round amount of PP. Sorta like Incarnum, where essentia can be allocated per round?
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Meikle641 wrote:Hmm, a per-round amount of PP. Sorta like Incarnum, where essentia can be allocated per round?
Yeah, sort of like Incarnum. You'd have, say, 5 power points. Most abilities would have a cost to use or maintain; on a few key levels you'd reduce the cost of all abilities by one (not to less than zero). You'd have a 'psionic focus' which could be expended to raise your point total for a round.

Ultimately I don't want to play 'Accountants & Ledgers', so I might end up just making all the powers 'at will', working within the constraints that imposes.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

For what it's worth, I like that idea. Makes Psions different without making them stupid.
Wulf
Apprentice

Post by Wulf »

I kinda like this as well. Instead of using pionic spells (or powers), they have the powers ingrained into themselves. A wizard need to prepare using formulas, psions simply do stuff ..they might use their mind for it, but they are not thinking about it (like with spell formulae), they just let it happen with will. Hmm...through will, all psychics should use wisdom then instead of intelligence :wink:

As for resource allocation. Perhaps use both at-will which are usefull, but not overpowering and have a stronger version based on points invested or releasing your psionic focus for a big bang of that power.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I like psions better than I like wizards. The whole I'm psychic bit has always been a draw for me. I support the power points Idea. Reads sort of like the maneuvers from ToB. I'd like to see something done for each psychic discipline which I am assuming might be what you're going for. I don't have any ideas right now to replace your current thoughts on at will powers and point powers (since I'm using that kind of system with my samurai) For the sake of offering an alternative that borrows from the original class how about At-Will powers that can be augmented through power points?

IE the telekinetic in flight can pop a point and go supersonic. shortening his movement time to a swift maybe even a move action. Put some sonic boom behind it for flavor and damage.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

That sounds like it could work, Wulf. The 4e psion works kinda like that, or so I hear.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Akula wrote:For what it's worth, I like that idea. Makes Psions different without making them stupid.
Wulf wrote:As for resource allocation. Perhaps use both at-will which are usefull, but not overpowering and have a stronger version based on points invested or releasing your psionic focus for a big bang of that power.
MGuy wrote:I support the power points Idea.
Alright, with that kind endorsement it looks like I'll have to try it. :)
Wulf wrote:Hmm...through will, all psychics should use wisdom then instead of intelligence :wink:
For everything that involves willpower except "will saves", D&D uses charisma. wisdom first represents perceptiveness (except the search skill) and second some kind of 'insightfulness'.
MGuy wrote:I'd like to see something done for each psychic discipline which I am assuming might be what you're going for.
Actually, I think the D&D disciplines are bullshit. I really could care less about the XPHB "shaper" and "kineticist" throwing down fields of fire and ice. I see psionics as being thematically divided into psychometabolism (messing with your own body and to a lesser extent those you touch), telepathy (messing with peoples' minds), telekinesis (moving stuff with your mind), and clairsentience ('seeing' distant locations, both in time and space). Those are the basics, and anything outside (like astral constructs) I'm not interested in. It should be possible for multiclass characters to combine their disciplines. For example, a telekinetic clairsentient should be skilled at teleporting and time hopping. That makes for some decent prestige classes.

If you assume that crossovers make sense for every discipline, we could be looking at 4 base classes (shaper, seer, TK, telepath) plus 6 prestige classes (shaper/seer, shaper/TK, shaper/telepath, seer/TK, seer/telepath, TK/telepath). The shaper/TK probably gets a bunch of lightning powers. The seer/TK I already mentioned. The shaper/telepath probably gets life-type effects (heal and harm).
However, I don't really see what the shaper/seer is doing. Together they might already make for a badass melee character. The telepath/seer is probably expanding consciousness like crazy, but I can think of a special schtick. The telepath/TK I'm not sure either.

So really it's like 4 classes (of which I will for sure write 3) and three prestige classes.
MGuy wrote:For the sake of offering an alternative that borrows from the original class how about At-Will powers that can be augmented through power points? IE the telekinetic in flight can pop a point and go supersonic. shortening his movement time to a swift maybe even a move action. Put some sonic boom behind it for flavor and damage.
Making powers that augment well is a pain in the ass. On the other hand, the augmented flight with a sonic boom sounds cool. If I can come up with augmentations as good as that for everything, I'll do it.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I dunno if someone has suggested it already, CGF, but what about an Incarnum-esque system, where you 'invest' points into powers (or maybe even class features) for benefits that scale to the investment?
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Awesome. Well I'll probably try and tackle the astral constructs at some point if you don't. I like the idea of molding a kind of pet into existence and being able to create stuff at will (though I don't know how either really constitutes a psychic power because I never really heard any tells of people doing such a thing psychically).

For some reason I keep thinking jedi while I'm reading this page.

I'd be happy to help, though I don't know if any of my other ideas will be half as good as the sonic boom one.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

I'm thirding the Incarnum-like idea.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

If we are to consider this Incarnum-esque solution, what kind of 'growth' metric are we going to use for the investment of points? Essentially, how much better does a given spell or ability become when points get dumped into it?

My belief is that the growth should be entirely horizontal (i.e. nothing even remotely resembling energy ball augmentation), and that every point should add roughly the versatility (NOT power) of another spell level.

To give a more concrete example, let's take the psionic power Mental Turmoil, which normally deals 1d8 damage per caster level, with a Will save to negate. If you add 1 point into it, you can also have it work as a detect thoughts effect for 1 round per point added. If you add two points or more, it's now Will half, not Will negates. If you add four points or more, it also becomes a save or daze effect.

Something like that, maybe?
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

MGuy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectoplasm_(paranormal)

Not a greta article, but it works. In fiction, the best analogue of it that I know of is the Eldar's Wraithbone.

Incidentally, Ghostwalk had a feat that lets you make a shitload of ectoplasm per day. It was part of a feat chain that would let you make items and shit out of it, but they'd vanish after x time. Had a powder additive to make it last super long (like, 150 days or so).

Perhaps a talent of scaling feat on making things out of Ectoplasm?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I think I've already said this, but the number of points I'm talking about is on the order of 3 to 9, and they'll be per round. Expending your focus will add another 1 to 3 points for one round.

So take the example of mind blast. For simplicity, we'll use the lower bound on power points. When you get it, it's a very good power. It's an area effect that stuns for a significant amount of time (2+ rounds), and has a DC of 10 + level/2 + Mod. If you're spamming this every round, you'll be tearing things up, so we want it to be more like dragon breath. So it's costed at 4, which means that not only can you not use it with any long-term abilities running (say, dominate), but you also need to expend focus. If you want to keep your enemies completely locked down, you'll do something like 'mind blast (standard action), focus (full-round), mind blast, focus, ...'.

When you first get dominate, it really can dominate things, so it's costed at 3. You can maintain it every round, but you can only use 1-point abilities with it (and then only every other round). Similarly, a shaper can be running around with only a limited number of crazy augmentations.

Really, though, it might be better to just have 'focus' abilities and normal abilities. So initiating a mind blast or dominate requires that you expend your focus, while ego whip and id insinuation don't.
I'm also open to suggestions about power levels. Right now the telepath looks a bit overpowered: what amounts to blindsight to 100' (although with the feat in Lords of Madness that's inevitable), plus suggestion once per round. Sure, you won't be dealing a lot of damage, but saying 'run away' and 'go after your friend' can end a combat pretty fast.

The TK might be a but underpowered. Sure, lifting somebody 30' away off the ground, and then breaking their neck the next round looks good on paper, but I'm not sure how easy it is to pull off. Dropping them only deals around 3d6 damage at first level unless you have a cliff handy.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

In the case of point/round being from 3 to 9 how about you scale the cost of the powers on a 1 (the cost of the power) to 1 (the level of the power) ratio? Then just give a tax equal to half of the original cost (rounded up or down whichever you prefer) to maintain it every round after the first (if its an ongoing type of ability). Like for the Seer's Moment of Insight power. its a 2nd level power so it would cost you 2 points to manifest in a given round and 1 point to maintain every round after that. I don't know exactly how you're doing the power points but may I suggest a total of 1/2level+relevant modifier/round. With the limit for point usage/round being their character level (that way you don't have 1st level characters over charging their powers and it scales nicely). I don't know have an idea off the top of my head for incorporating psionic focus though.

3d6 (average 10) damage seems like reasonable damage a 1st level but if you want a bit more oomph out of it how about you add your relevant modifier to damage? I mean is not as though you're dropping them regularly (otherwise there's feather fall and other shenanigans they could pull to mitigate the damage) you're slamming them. Though there should be a way for the enemy to at least attempt to soften that blow. Is it safe to assume tumble would still apply to the drop then?
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

MGuy wrote:In the case of point/round being from 3 to 9 how about you scale the cost of the powers on a 1 (the cost of the power) to 1 (the level of the power) ratio? Then just give a tax equal to half of the original cost (rounded up or down whichever you prefer) to maintain it every round after the first (if its an ongoing type of ability). Like for the Seer's Moment of Insight power. its a 2nd level power so it would cost you 2 points to manifest in a given round and 1 point to maintain every round after that. I don't know exactly how you're doing the power points but may I suggest a total of 1/2level+relevant modifier/round. With the limit for point usage/round being their character level (that way you don't have 1st level characters over charging their powers and it scales nicely). I don't know have an idea off the top of my head for incorporating psionic focus though.
The problem is that powers aren't in a 1 to 1 power coresspondance with their levels. A 2d4 round stun, for example, is off the hook at just about any level.
MGuy wrote:3d6 (average 10) damage seems like reasonable damage a 1st level but if you want a bit more oomph out of it how about you add your relevant modifier to damage? I mean is not as though you're dropping them regularly (otherwise there's feather fall and other shenanigans they could pull to mitigate the damage) you're slamming them. Though there should be a way for the enemy to at least attempt to soften that blow. Is it safe to assume tumble would still apply to the drop then?
I'd rather not mess with the basic advanced combat rules too much. If 3d6 damage looks like enough at 1st level, that's probably fine because after that the TK gets to blast.

So, just a general polling question: should the psychometabolist be less of a shape-shifter (as in polymorph self) and more of someone who alters parts of her own body? Should healing others be a core ability or something that can be added on if the player so desires?

And as for power level, a 5th level shaper is going to look something like this:

Con 16, Str 14, Dex 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8.
Feats: Combat School, Ghost Hunter, Whirlwind.

Hulked out for melee:
[*]Alter self (lycanthropy) -> large flying form with two claw attacks
[*]Expansion to huge size
[*]Thickened skin
[*]Claws formed into bigger claws
[*]Lesser magical armor and magic weapons grafted

Attack bonus: 13 = 5 +8 +2 +2 -2.
Full attack: 2 claws 4d6 +10.
AC: 22 = 10 +9 +2 +1 -2.
Fort: 9 = 4 + 5, Refl: 2 = 1 + 1, Will: 1 = 1.
HP: 63 = 38 + 25.

EL guesstimate
Huge animated iron statue: the shaper can probably fly or sneak past it. If that's not possible, she actually can't miss it and will deal 6 to 46 damage each round the stands there and swings at it (not including power attack). It hits her about half the time, and does 9 to 19 damage each hit. It also has 20 more HP than her. She can probably just slug it out (!). Win.
Basilisk: Likely to make the fortitude save. Can kite outside of gaze range given enough space and crossbow bolts. Can drop in in one melee round if she gets lucky. Win
Large fire elemental: Unless she can just fly around it, she dies. Loss.
Manticore: She can outfly and outdamage it, although that first volley might hurt a bit. Win
Mummy: She'll be paralyzed, beat half to death, contract mummy rot, and then maybe rip that bag of bandages a new one. Mummy rot won't kill her. Probable win.
Phase Spider: Has to ready an action to grapple the fucker after getting ethereal-ambushed. Win.
Chasm: Win.
Moat of acid: Win, unless she falls in...
Locked door, pit traps: Win.
Centaur archers: They can kite her, but she can just say 'screw it' any fly away.
Howler+Allip: Probably dies thanks the the babbling and the quills, might might survive if she gets lucky on her first save vs. babble. Probable loss.
Pit with big scorpions: Whirlwind; win.
Grimlocks: If she isn't in a cave tunnel, whirlwind and win. If she is, she can't be huge. Still, she probably tears them apart anyway. Probable win.
Cleric + zombies: Probably dies to hold person.

On the whole, it looks a bit overpowered. However, that's mostly from stacking stat boosts from expansion with lycanthropy. If I close that loophole then I have a feeling that the combats will be a bit more even, and she won't be quite as able to just rip down doors.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

1) saying that powers may not be equal to the level you get them at would be like complaining that some wizard spells should be gotten further down the line. I don't think it would break the game if you had psi powers and were able to use them at a 1 to 1 ratio especially if you stick to the disciplines you're looking at.

2) Ok

3) I vote no polymorph. But I am predisposed to not liking polymorph because of a bad gaming history with it so take this into consideration with my vote.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

MGuy wrote:1) saying that powers may not be equal to the level you get them at would be like complaining that some wizard spells should be gotten further down the line. I don't think it would break the game if you had psi powers and were able to use them at a 1 to 1 ratio especially if you stick to the disciplines you're looking at.
In that case I'm not sure what you mean by using them at a 1 to 1 ratio.
MGuy wrote:3) I vote no polymorph. But I am predisposed to not liking polymorph because of a bad gaming history with it so take this into consideration with my vote.
Have you seen the Tome polymorph revisions?

Polymorph Self
Polymorph Self
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Self
8.1. THE MAGINOMICON CHAPTER 8. MAGIC
Duration: 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: No
“A Turtle am I? Let’s see how Turtlike I. . . CAN. . . BE!” And with that, the mage was a giant turtle.
You vanish and a monster of your choice appears in your place. The creature shares your alignment, personality and goals, and will continue to act as you would within the limits of its intelligence and abilities. The creature must be at least 3 CR less than your character level, may not have the incorporeal or swarm subtype, and is unexceptional for its type. If the monster is killed, the spell is ended. When the spell ends, the monster vanishes and you appear where the monster was with an amount of lethal, nonlethal, and ability damage on you equal to the amount the monster had suffered when the spell ended (this means that if the spell ended because the monster was slain and the monster had an equal or greater number of hit points as you, you may well be dead when you appear).
Lycanthropy
Lycanthropy
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: One Willing Creature
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes
The shaman howled in rage and transformed into a wolverine.
The target assumes the appearance of a specific or generic animal or magical beast of small, medium, or large size. The target is effectively disguised, and gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks made to impersonate the genuine article. The target suffers no penalties to Disguise for assuming the visage of a different race or sex. The new form is unable to use normal equipment (all carried or worn items meld into the new form when the spell takes effect), and has whatever natural weapons the caster desires (to a maximum of 1 natural weapon per four levels). These natural weapons inflict an amount of damage appropriate for a magical beast of the new form’s size. Any equipment the character had is subsumed into their new form.
Small, Flying:90’ flight speed (good), +4 Dex, -4 strength
Small, Land:+2 Dex
Small, Swimming:60’ swim speed
Medium, Flying:60’ flight speed (good), +2 Dex
Medium, Land:40’ land speed, +2 Strength, +2 Natural Armor
Medium, Swimming: 60’ swim speed, +2 Strength, +2 Natural Armor
Large, Flying: 90’ flight speed (average), +2 Dex, +4 strength, +1 Natural Armor
Large, Land: +6 Strength, +5 Natural Armor
Large, Swimming: 60’ swim speed, +6 Strength, +4 Natural Armor
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

I vote that the psychometabolist alters part of themselves. It is kinda cool to draw your sword into your arm and become huge to rip people to shreds. I personally think it is less cool to become a troll and do the same thing. Healing (at least fast healing class level/3) should be part of the class in my opinion, it fits with shaping bodies. I'm not sure about healing others, if that isn't part of the base class it should probably go in the Ego/Tele or the Ego/TK PrC.

I could see having a construct that you called out of the Ethereal Plane as a PrC. If I don't get lazy I could write that up.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:So, just a general polling question: should the psychometabolist be less of a shape-shifter (as in polymorph self) and more of someone who alters parts of her own body? Should healing others be a core ability or something that can be added on if the player so desires?
Yes. No.

I like the idea of someone who modifies their body for power. Just giving yourself a completely new body really seems to defeat the point, they're not shape shifters.

Healing others is not really a big thing for psychomet either. Perhaps a PrC that takes them in the direction of moulding the form of other beings?