Anime-like system?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Sajber
Apprentice

Anime-like system?

Post by Sajber »

So, I was just watching some Bleach and started thinking about what makes all those animes/mangas so addicting... I figure it's obviously the "Ooh, he just used his Bankai/Rasengan/Limit Release/Whatever, now he's AWESOME!"-factor. How one guy can both be a totally lame guy with a just as lame sword and a super-awesome-dealer-of-painful-death at the same time, depending on what time in the fight you're watching counts for something, I guess.

And I figured... Is there a system than mimicks this? In any way, doesn't have to be based on any manga, it can be totally independing as far as I'm concered. If there isn't one, has anybody on there boards thought of making one? Is it even feasible? I mean, balance issues aside, how would you account for the exchange of powerful attack -> more powerful attack -> insanely powerful attack -> etc without it getting boring?

Meh, I'm just throwing some thoughts out. Emulating the fighting manga/anime style of storytelling into a playable system, if possible, is the topic.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Isn't BESM and various similar systems for that kind of thing?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

'Anime fighting style' is ridiculously broad honestly. Even Shadowrun can handle an anime fighting-style system depending on what you want.

You said that you liked Bleach. Which leads me to believe that you like A) Flying. B) Ridiculous Power-Ups with a command word to activate rather than it running all of the time. C) Swordfights, not magic volleys. Even though that series uses kidou. D) Fights where dominance swings between the two combatants. E) Fights where the people pair off and fight.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a system off of the top of my head that does this. E is the greatest sticking point for any RPG, as Shadowrun comes the closest to averting the dogpile method of fighting. Which just goes to show you how little progress people have made towards this design goal.

I think that you might be interested in Mutants and Masterminds d20. Ranged combat inherently has an advantage in that system but it does almost everything else you want.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

For high-powered type anime, HERO is a good bet, and has a new edition out, although 5th edition is still pretty awesome.
Lich-Loved
Knight

Post by Lich-Loved »

If you are interested in BESM, the core of the system is available in the free Tri-Stat dX system.
- LL
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

BESM stinks - it's a poor man's Mutants and Masterminds. MnM could do it, and so could HERO, but MnM is generally faster-resolving.

Exalted would do for anime as well.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Exalted takes a long time to learn, has narrow character concepts, is inflexible once you get put on the rails, and is not only not very balanced but doesn't actually have a lot of challenges for your sword-swinging billy badass.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

In BESM you can built a Char with PowerUps/Transform into an Uber Char.
If I remember correctly you get discounts for your Powers if they are time-limited.
Sajber
Apprentice

Post by Sajber »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:'Anime fighting style' is ridiculously broad honestly. Even Shadowrun can handle an anime fighting-style system depending on what you want.

You said that you liked Bleach. Which leads me to believe that you like A) Flying. B) Ridiculous Power-Ups with a command word to activate rather than it running all of the time. C) Swordfights, not magic volleys. Even though that series uses kidou. D) Fights where dominance swings between the two combatants. E) Fights where the people pair off and fight.
You pretty much nailed it. A, B, C and E are pretty much optional, I don't really care if we're flying, fighting with swords or whatever, it's D that's most important. Powers activated by some word/gesture/whatever that severely alters the power of your character, dominance of the fight swinging wildly around as the fight progresses, etc...
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

I vaguely remember some system that attempted fights where people pair off and get to the fightation.

Another Supers system methinks.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Korwin wrote:In BESM you can built a Char with PowerUps/Transform into an Uber Char.
If I remember correctly you get discounts for your Powers if they are time-limited.
and Minions who have Mechs which hold Items of Power and get character points instead of damage and space travel who fly to the sun and just sit there for a few centuries until they are the most powerful thing in the universe.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak_Anima wrote:get character points instead of damage
...I don't remember that one.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Sajber wrote: You pretty much nailed it. A, B, C and E are pretty much optional, I don't really care if we're flying, fighting with swords or whatever, it's D that's most important. Powers activated by some word/gesture/whatever that severely alters the power of your character, dominance of the fight swinging wildly around as the fight progresses, etc...
You just reminded me of one of the reasons why Exalted sucks balls. It totally fails to provide this experience on mechanical level. In 2E you often can figure out the results of combat at its beginning (by calculating the rates of Essence attrition), and there is no meaningful mechanical choices that can alter this math.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Alright, since you want crazy Bleach action, MnM/BESM 3e seem to be your best bet. The GM's going to need to work things out with all parties involved so the game doesn't go into crazytown.

Wushu might be able to do this with the narrative based gaming aspect, and a rework of the FATE system could hash it if you want rules-light. For more crunch, go with the first two.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FatR wrote:
Sajber wrote: You pretty much nailed it. A, B, C and E are pretty much optional, I don't really care if we're flying, fighting with swords or whatever, it's D that's most important. Powers activated by some word/gesture/whatever that severely alters the power of your character, dominance of the fight swinging wildly around as the fight progresses, etc...
You just reminded me of one of the reasons why Exalted sucks balls. It totally fails to provide this experience on mechanical level. In 2E you often can figure out the results of combat at its beginning (by calculating the rates of Essence attrition), and there is no meaningful mechanical choices that can alter this math.
Any chance we can get you to make an 'Exalted sucks' thread?
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Lago PARANOIA wrote: Any chance we can get you to make an 'Exalted sucks' thread?
I've started writing the dissection of Exalted system, but it is not going to be completed for some time, because it shapes up to be really long and rambling.
DeadlyReed
Journeyman

Post by DeadlyReed »

Can't wait to read your Exalted rant, FatR.
Heath Robinson
Knight

Post by Heath Robinson »

I, too, would like to read an Exalted rant. Even a preliminary version.
Face it. Today will be as bad a day as any other.