New approach to summonering limits

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ChaosLacky
NPC

New approach to summonering limits

Post by ChaosLacky »

I was thinking. Do you think it would make more sense for summoners to have a maximum amount of CR of monsters they control at a time that would increase with the summoners level? That way, the time limit on summons could be removed (I sometimes find it annoying) or at least lengthened.

The same could be done with necromancers raising corpses as zombies too.

Figured I'd just see what other people thought of this.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I don't think releasing the time limits is a good idea. Nor is basing it off of CR because a number of monsters aren't set at the right CR. I personally like summoning as a player but as a DM it can be a major pain in the ass. Allowing people to keep certain monsters all day would inevitably lead to trouble.
Last edited by MGuy on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Basing the numbers off of CR works better than basing it off of hit dice or whatever. That's how I did the Pokemaster, seemed to work OK.

-Username17
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

MGuy, what creatures do you think will cause a problem at the level they can be summoned at if they are available all day?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Angels and Demons. They have various annoying abilities. I don't have my books on hand (won't have them for the day at all) but that's off the top of my head. It also depends if we're talking about restricting creatures to the summon monster lists or if the CR thing allows for monsters from anywhere.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Well allowing any creature from any book caused some of the problems with Polymorph, and makes balancing into a herculean task, so I'd say keeping some kind of table would be the only sane suggestion.

ChaosLacky, I'd say check the existing list for potential problems as all the creatures on it were expected to be around for a maximum of around 20 rounds. Some of the creatures might have abilities that could be abused if they were around 24/7. Or better yet, make your own tables. This would allow you to ensure all the creatures are suited to the adjustments you are making.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire