Definition of Christianity

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Definition of Christianity

Post by virgil »

I've heard various arguments. Catholics aren't Christian, Mormons aren't Christian, etc. The strangest one I've heard so far is that apparently one of the definitions of Christian is "baptised in a manner approved by the Catholic Church" (which mormons don't do). I don't even know how to compare that kind of definition...
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

A Christian is one who follows the (supposed) teachings of Christ. Or who supposedly does so.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

virgileso wrote:I've heard various arguments. Catholics aren't Christian, Mormons aren't Christian, etc. The strangest one I've heard so far is that apparently one of the definitions of Christian is "baptised in a manner approved by the Catholic Church" (which mormons don't do). I don't even know how to compare that kind of definition...
Maybe there's just no real Christians?

Seriously though, it's just the "no true scotsman" fallacy (unless the person actually gives a consistent qualitative definition, such as the "baptised in a manner approved by the catholic church" line. Which of course would exclude the "Catholics aren't Christian" argument).
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

They all are Christian, but claim each other is not, which is stupid. They should be calling each other heretics or heathens, not "not Christians".

I think Frank brought this up before, in a debate when we had both a crazy Catholic and a crazy Protestant. I recall it involved the Protestant saying "I dunno', that worship of Saints and stuff sounds too much like polytheism." then it was pointed out that the Bible itself says there are other gods - you're just not allowed to like them.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
The Lunatic Fringe
Journeyman

Post by The Lunatic Fringe »

There is no universal standard of or authority on Christianity.

Well, except for God, but he ain't talking.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:A Christian is one who follows the (supposed) teachings of Christ. Or who supposedly does so.
I think this is as close as you're going to get.

There are a lot of divisions (catholic/protestant), and those are further divided. Ultimately, "one who follows the teachings of Christ" is probably the best, broad definition you can get.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Or you could use that one definition I mentioned, you're not a Christian if your faith doesn't do baptisms right (and sacramental theology was developed long before Mormonism) :P
Last edited by virgil on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was baptised, and I think Christians are suffering from fear-based delusions and need to seek counselling.

Your definition makes me a Christian despite having burned that bridge behind me long ago.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

The definition for “Christian” is by definition nebulous because no one has a trademark on the term. Let’s ask Webster:
1 a : one who believes or professes or is assumed to believe in Jesus Christ and the truth as taught by him : an adherent of Christianity : one who has accepted the Christian religious and moral principles of life : one who has faith in and has pledged allegiance to God thought of as revealed in Christ : one whose life is conformed to the doctrines of Christ <in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians -- Acts 11:26 (Revised Standard Version)>
The Catholic Church (technically speaking the “Catholic Church” has never quite gotten the whole idea of being a “denomination”) considers baptism as the entry point into the “Church.” The sacrament of baptism requires three conditions, matter (water), form (Trinitarian baptism), and intent (wanting to be baptized). The minister of the sacrament is literally anyone; yes even a non Christian can baptize.

But that has nothing to do with the definition of “Christian,” for one can believe in Christ in various degrees. (Naturally I would probably add “… until one reaches fulfillment of Christian unity within the Church.”)
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Koumei wrote:I was baptised, and I think Christians are suffering from fear-based delusions and need to seek counselling.

Your definition makes me a Christian despite having burned that bridge behind me long ago.
I actually had that argument used on me as well. When I said I wasn't Christian, I was told "No, you are Christian, because you were baptised!"

So... people actually do use that definition. As for why it doesn't make sense... well... we're talking about Christian arguments here...
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

If...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_is_a_Jew%3F

...is 12 screens long and a old, old question and they're nominally a TRIBE then I imagine that a morphic "you-are-one-if-you-want-to-be-one" religion is probably a little harder to nail down.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I have heard people say "I'm not a Christian, I'm Catholic"...
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:I have heard people say "I'm not a Christian, I'm Catholic"...
LOL, yeah. That's about the point when you know someone does not in fact have two brain cells to rub together.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well
This guy is getting federal funding for a study about ethnic and cultural differences to healthcare where the self-identification demographics list "mormon" separate from the two main categories of christian (Catholic and Protestant) and the many sub categories under each.

So I guess the US government doesn't consider Mormons to be Christians - but we all know you can't trust the government :p
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:I have heard people say "I'm not a Christian, I'm Catholic"...
That's because, in the US at least, "Christian" without any descriptors refers almost exclusively to Protestant, which is obviously different enough from Catholicism to warrant explicit differentiation. Granted, they could just say "I'm Catholic" without the "I'm not Christian" part, but it's not like what they're saying is completely nonsensical even if it is incorrect.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I think the Angel and the dictionary are good definitions. You can claim Christianity if you believe Jesus is your model, and you try to emulate him.
Koumei wrote:I recall it involved the Protestant saying "I dunno', that worship of Saints and stuff sounds too much like polytheism."
I have to admit that despite attending the Mormon church, I like the idea of saints. Seriously... Why bother Jesus when you need help finding your keys? Go bother someone who specializes in finding your stuff (St. Anthony is big in my family).

The only problem that I really have with that is that - as far as I know - the Catholic Church is one of those that believes God is all powerful. So it's not like you're really alleviating the burden on Him by having St. Anthony interceed on your behalf.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

This article clearly indicates that baptism is what makes a person a Christian.
Last edited by Ganbare Gincun on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

tzor wrote:The sacrament of baptism requires three conditions, matter (water), form (Trinitarian baptism), and intent (wanting to be baptized).
So how does the Catholic Church figure out if all those little babies want to be baptized?
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I thought that was a christening, not a baptism.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:So how does the Catholic Church figure out if all those little babies want to be baptized?
Why, they ask them, at which point, if the baby wants to be baptized it will either cry out in joy or will accept the grace given to them with dignified silence.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Intent in baptism is a Protestant thing, and then only some of the sects.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Yeah, Catholic baptism is ritual you schedule for off-hours at the church during a workday as a kindness to your friends and family members so they have an easy excuse for not attending. However, the crazy old lady that spends every day in church will be there to say a Hail Mary for your little hellspawn.

Protestants, on the other hand, pack everyone into the church bus and make a beach day of it. However, unlike a normal beach day, everyone's fully dressed and sober and it's considered poor form to sneak off behind the dunes for a quickie.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

NativeJovian wrote:
That's because, in the US at least, "Christian" without any descriptors refers almost exclusively to Protestant, which is obviously different enough from Catholicism to warrant explicit differentiation. Granted, they could just say "I'm Catholic" without the "I'm not Christian" part, but it's not like what they're saying is completely nonsensical even if it is incorrect.
I've heard Protestants refer to Chritians and Caltholics as two separate enteties, but I've never heard a Catholic do that before.
Last edited by RobbyPants on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Absentminded_Wizard wrote:
tzor wrote:The sacrament of baptism requires three conditions, matter (water), form (Trinitarian baptism), and intent (wanting to be baptized).
So how does the Catholic Church figure out if all those little babies want to be baptized?
Intent is the intent of the minister of the sacrament.

As to the answer for the little babies, that is the role of the god parents.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

violence in the media wrote:Yeah, Catholic baptism is ritual you schedule for off-hours at the church during a workday as a kindness to your friends and family members so they have an easy excuse for not attending.
NO, sorry, but NO.

Catholic infant baptism (as opposed to Catholic adult baptism) is something that is typically done on a Sunday, after the last Sunday Mass. It is small ceremony, typically done in small groups of 3 to 6 infants along with their parents, god parents, close friends and close relatives by either a priest or a deacon. It is then followed by individual luncheons that often cost just as much as a wedding. (Later followed by the very expensive one year old celebration luncheon.)

Catholic adult baptism is a long and drawn out process. After being bored to death with the RCIA (Rite for Christian Initiation for Adults) over the course of Advent and Lent, the converts are baptized and confirmed and receive their first Holy Communion at the Easter Vigil Mass, the longest Mass in the liturgy. It is one of those very odd exceptions where a priest can in the name of his bishop confirm someone.
Last edited by tzor on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.