Need help finding this PrC

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

K
King

Need help finding this PrC

Post by K »

So I seem to recall a 3.x PrC that gave spontaneous arcane spellcasting at a rate of one spell level per character level. Like, the 1st level gave you 1st level spells, and the 2nd level gave you 2nd level spells. I found some divine ones, and a preparation arcane class, but no long on sorcerer-type casting.

I recall it, but I can't find it now. Any ideas?
Last edited by K on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Sublime Chord from Complete Arcane?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
K
King

Post by K »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Sublime Chord from Complete Arcane?
Mmmm, not that one.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Beholder Mage does that.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

FrankTrollman wrote:Beholder Mage does that.

-Username17
True, but I was thinking of one a non-monster can take.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There are classes that present weirdly compressed spell lists like the Demonologist. And there are classes that present compressed access to 9th level spells like the Divine Crusader, the Blighter, the Apostle of Peace, and the Ur Priest.

And then there are classes that dumpster dive through other lists, like the Artificer. And there are classes like the Chameleon that compress spellcasting and dumpster dive.

Honestly, if you really believe in all the bullshit PrCs, Chameleon is probably your best bet. It gives you compressed access to 6th level spells that can be taken off bullshit lists where 6th level spells include Mass Charm.

-Username17
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Are you sure it's not just a Divine Crusader who got stuck with a Magic Deity?

Anyway, complete PrC list to aid the hunt:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Nar Demonbinder perhaps?

I wouldn't blame you for forgetting about it, what with the editor being drunk at the wheel and all.
K
King

Post by K »

We are getting closer. I seem to remember it being used as a bridge class to get people into Sublime Chord, so it would be giving levels 1-3 of spontaneous spells in three levels.

Maybe I'm just remembering things wrong.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Suel Arcanamach (from Complete Arcane) gives level 1-3 spells in its first four levels, although it's from a restricted list and it only goes up to level 6 spells in total.
Last edited by hogarth on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
duo31
Apprentice

Post by duo31 »

If it is a bridge class to get into sublime chord, could you be thinking of the Memory Smith DR311 ?
Adds spells to your list of spells known at each level, gives/ increases Bard spellcasting and give Fighter BAB, 2 good saves.

It's a bard prestige class, that doesn't actually require you to be a bard. all of the req's are skill based.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

There's absolutely no reason why you would want to be a sublime chord.

If you want bardic music so badly, you could just as easily be a straight-classed sorcerer who took levels in Virtuoso. Simple. That PrC only exists as a consolation prize for people dumb enough to take 10 levels in bard but realize too late that their character sucks.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:There's absolutely no reason why you would want to be a sublime chord.

If you want bardic music so badly, you could just as easily be a straight-classed sorcerer who took levels in Virtuoso. Simple. That PrC only exists as a consolation prize for people dumb enough to take 10 levels in bard but realize too late that their character sucks.
Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuosos 8 always looked pretty playable to me
K
King

Post by K »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:There's absolutely no reason why you would want to be a sublime chord.

I was actually looking for a way to give decent arcane casting to a Weretiger. With the LA and animal HD, it's an uphill battle. Even if you allow LA buy-off, the Animal HD are just character-killing suck.

Just the kind of thought exercise I engage in when I have a few weeks off and am bored out of my mind. I only have a partial archive of books, so I can't do all my searching.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Savage Bard 1/Duskblade 1/Sorcerer 1/Dread Necromancer 1/Warmage 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 2/Nar Demonbinder 1/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 6/Ultimate Magus 3
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Kaelik: I don't have my books, but I'm guessing that's full casting and a shit load of semi crappy abilities?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Cynic wrote:Kaelik: I don't have my books, but I'm guessing that's full casting and a shit load of semi crappy abilities?
If my numbers are right, it's shitty casting from 3rd until 9th, absurd caster levels with lower-level spells starting at about 11th, and absurd caster levels with level-appropriate spells starting at about level 15.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Quantumboost wrote:
Cynic wrote:Kaelik: I don't have my books, but I'm guessing that's full casting and a shit load of semi crappy abilities?
If my numbers are right, it's shitty casting from 3rd until 9th, absurd caster levels with lower-level spells starting at about 11th, and absurd caster levels with level-appropriate spells starting at about level 15.
Well, your numbers are wrong, unless by "lower level spells" you mean "not level 9" and "level appropriate" you mean "level 9."

Cohort level casting at absurd CL comes in at level 13, and level 14 is where you win D&D because you can cast Holy Word at CL who fucking cares everything dies.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Kaelik wrote:
Quantumboost wrote:
Well, your numbers are wrong, unless by "lower level spells" you mean "not level 9" and "level appropriate" you mean "level 9."

Cohort level casting at absurd CL comes in at level 13, and level 14 is where you win D&D because you can cast Holy Word at CL who fucking cares everything dies.
For the record, I meant "cohort-level" and "above-cohort-level". Looks like I was off by only a couple of levels, which given I eyeballed the numbers leaves me pretty satisfied.
K
King

Post by K »

Haha! Did it.

Weretiger 6/Dragonslayer 1/Suel Arcanomach 3/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 9 if you use LA buy-off for 9th level spells by 20.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote:Haha! Did it.

Weretiger 6/Dragonslayer 1/Suel Arcanomach 3/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 9 if you use LA buy-off for 9th level spells by 20.
Am I missing something? A weretiger has to have at least one hit die in a base class, doesn't it?

And if it doesn't, then you're missing the +6 BAB requirement for Suel Arcanamach.

And I'm not sure what order you're putting those classes in; a Suel Arcanamach 3 doesn't have 3rd level spells, so presumably Dragonslayer has to come after, but then you're really missing the +6 BAB requirement.
K
King

Post by K »

hogarth wrote:
K wrote:Haha! Did it.

Am I missing something? A weretiger has to have at least one hit die in a base class, doesn't it?

And if it doesn't, then you're missing the +6 BAB requirement for Suel Arcanamach.

And I'm not sure what order you're putting those classes in; a Suel Arcanamach 3 doesn't have 3rd level spells, so presumably Dragonslayer has to come after, but then you're really missing the +6 BAB requirement.
There's no requirement for a base class that I am aware of.

And Dragonslayer allows you to add the caster level retroactively, so that is the order of PrCs. Check the PrC description's spellcasting section. (Gotta love exception-based design.)
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

K wrote: There's no requirement for a base class that I am aware of.
You need to apply the template to an existing creature; there's no such thing as a 0 HD human, as far as I know. Note that all of the examples in the Monster Manual are based on a level 1 warrior at a minimum.

Specifically, it says:
SRD wrote:Hit Dice and Hit Points
Same as the base creature plus those of the base animal. To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the lycanthrope has in each form.