Wish Economy items

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Red_Rob
Prince

Wish Economy items

Post by Red_Rob »

The Tomes provided a short list of some example Wish-economy level goods, however seeing as "concepts as trade materials" seems pretty heavily Planescape inspired to my eyes these won't be applicable to all settings or games. I'm looking to come up with a list of alternative items to use as treasure or have the players obtain which can be traded for Wish economy gear.

The "rules" for a wish economy item are as follows:

Must be useful to characters of 9th level and above.
Must not be obtainable using repeatable no-cost magic.

Here is the list provided in the Tomes:
Souls
Concentration
Hope
Raw Chaos
Magic items over 15,000gp value
Magical Gems

I would add the following to the list:
Scrolls of spells 5th level and above

The Tome de-facto explanation for Wish economy currency is "you can use it to make Major Magic items", which means almost anything rare and magical can be included. Earthdawn had Elemental coins, which included a piece of pure element trapped within them, but geting hold of elemental water isn't really difficult in D&D. Dragon Eggs could be a valuable items to an adventurer willing to put the effort into raising them. What other things could people see being traded in the Wish Economy?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

Slaves.
(Not that there's much you could do with them that you couldn't do with a wish directly, but you might be able to think of some use for them: with infinite wealth you may as well just pay people but there may be some things people won't do for money, like getting sacrificed to Demogorgon or give birth to half-dragons for your private army breeding program).

Another question might be "are there any materials that can't be created with wish by definition due to inherent properties"? Wish presumably couldn't conjure substances (from another location) that are immune to magic, but I suppose it could presumable construct or transmute them into existence (if they're under the GP limit), so that may be a dead end.

Also, I'm not sure if wish has the capacity to create or duplicate psionic items...if not these get weird in a wish economy since they're often low value but aren't freely creatable.

You could potentially have a paper money economy (wish could produce some of the paper, but it'd essentially be counterfeit). The currency would presumably have to be backed by something thats non-duplicable from a central clearinghouse or bank of some kind.e.g. you could have a bunch of super high level knights templar who themselves have unlimited money but issue Ka-chings, redeemable for 1 epic quest from a bunch of ubercharacters each in exchange for things they deem worthwhile (like major items): other high level characters can them trade the Ka-chings amongst each other.
TheWorid
Master

Post by TheWorid »

Real estate. Trading in demiplanes and such. Prime Material land being some of the most valuable.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

to build on CCarter's ideas of both "slaves" and "paper money" and tie it back into some myths, you could use:

Oaths
Some oaths, once sworn are flat-out unbreakable by demon, devil or deity. Some of these unbreakable oaths are transferable. In effect, each Oath is a promise of a powerful individual to perform some service or abide by some restriction set by the bearer. Depending on the particulars of each promise, such Oaths generally trade at a fraction from 10% to 100% of the value of the oath-takers Soul.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
K
King

Post by K »

-Favors: the Githyanki Lord owes you a one, and will send his armies on your behalf.

-Secrets: Like where the Pool of Radiance is.

-Art: Seriously, the Jewel of Arac Tor is priceless.... but I'll trade you a shield for it.

-Items of political influence: He who wears the Crown of Snowdale is the rightful king... but I'll give it to you for a good price.

-Other magic items: The Black Tome of Nazartharzza is of no use to the White Duke, but he admires Icingdeath the Endless Sword that is sitting in that display case in your parlor.
Last edited by K on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Increased Wishing efficiency. I'm not sure how that would work, though. A pool of bindable Efreeti which are known to have not expended their wishes?
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Vebyast wrote:Increased Wishing efficiency. I'm not sure how that would work, though. A pool of bindable Efreeti which are known to have not expended their wishes?
If you are in the wish economy you can already have that.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.