Raising Mister Cavern as an undead.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Raising Mister Cavern as an undead.

Post by Kaelik »

Feel free to actually make this useful. But it needed to be said.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

A close approximation would be creating a Super AI Hologram MC to write and host games in your Sexomatron Holodeck, or at the very least a cybernetic artificial brain. Most undead don't become smarter with unlife, which is what we'd want.

That said, a discussion on MC's role in computer run RPGs wouldn't be out of line.
Last edited by the_taken on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Thank god this is a joke thread. I was ready to shit all over this thing as a matter of principle.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Hmm. Necromancers usually have multiple undead servants. I wonder if we could write an RPG with multiple Mister Caverns and only one player.
Last edited by Vebyast on Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

the_taken wrote:That said, a discussion on MC's role in computer run RPGs wouldn't be out of line.
Neverwinter Nights has a pretty cool DM function. It vastly streamlines some tasks, though the constraints of the game can be rather severe in some regards.

Any opinions on D&D computer games that actually include a Mister Cavern in a role where one could make a decent argument for either them or the module being played in having a supplemental rather than essential role?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Well, if we can pull this off, Mister Cavern can spend as much time as he wants tirelessly planning adventures without sleep.

Although the downside is you probably wouldn't be able to bring Mtn Dew or Doritos to the game anymore. I'm not much for brains, blood, or raw negative energy.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

mean_liar wrote:Thank god this is a joke thread. I was ready to shit all over this thing as a matter of principle.
Pretty much.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

What we basically need is a new version of Dungeon Keeper where the PCs get to play the heroes World of Warcraft style and the DM builds the dungeon for them to invade and tries to manage the encounters.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'm fucking sick of reading about Mister Cavern as of late, it's time to cast some Turn Undead and shit.

Also, I found out today that Resurrection restores life to Undead. Instantly. Says so right in the Undead type description. That's fun to know.

I thought you had to kill them again first...
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

d20 SRD for Ressurection wrote:You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. You cannot resurrect someone who has died of old age. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected.
EDIT: Also, what the hell is up this? If you don't like a thread, you don't make it a personal goal to troll and crap all over it, you just don't fvcking read it. I don't like Lago's multiple publishing-focused threads and think they're a waste, but I don't respond to them by intentionally destroying them.
Last edited by virgil on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

virgil wrote:
d20 SRD for Ressurection wrote:You can resurrect someone killed by a death effect or someone who has been turned into an undead creature and then destroyed. You cannot resurrect someone who has died of old age. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected.
Now that's clever.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Vebyast wrote:Hmm. Necromancers usually have multiple undead servants. I wonder if we could write an RPG with multiple Mister Caverns and only one player.
This is an interesting challenge.

Off the top of my head, I could pretty easily see a variant on the Once Upon a Time engine, except with a single "player character" and multiple MCs instead of purely abstract faerie-tale telling between peers. Basically each MC gets a handful of cards which have keywords on them, and any time the PC says a keyword a MC has, that MC can play that card and take over mid-stream - but this would barely be recognizable as an RPG. You could maybe throw some additional light mechanics in there to have the PC be a Greek hero, and the MCs each "playing" one of the Greek gods - throwing obstacles in the mortals way and providing omens and portents as they each attempt to achieve their own ends.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Are there lots of undead that weren't once people who were turned into an undead?

Edit: Holy crap, Josh. I actually know that game (I even own it)!
Last edited by Maj on Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Wolf Skeleton, and Wyvern Zombies were never people.

Also, it seems that Nightshades arise out of "darkness and pure evil" and not from the deceased.

Edit: Sadly, somebody swiped my copy, but it's relevant as it was designed by the James Wallace whose dislike of the traditional RPG structure started this whole "Killing Mr. Cavern", "Reviving Mr. Cavern" "Re-animating Mr. Cavern", "Driving a stake through the undead heart of Mr. Cavern", "Reincarnating Mr Cavern as a Dire Weasel", etc meme that's this thread is part of.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I've played Once Upon a Time too. It's fun for a while, but it really depends on how creative the players are.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Josh wrote:Wolf Skeleton, and Wyvern Zombies were never people.

Also, it seems that Nightshades arise out of "darkness and pure evil" and not from the deceased.
So, in my inexperienced position as a rules interpreter, I'd read the above contradiction as meaning those three things can't be resurrected, but everything else can.
Josh wrote:it was designed by the James Wallace whose dislike of the traditional RPG structure started this
Did I miss the part where it's mentioned why he dislikes traditional RPG structure?
Zinegata wrote:It's fun for a while, but it really depends on how creative the players are.
And there's the undead end (it was born that way) that seems to be popping up - it depends on the creativity of others.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Vebyast wrote:Hmm. Necromancers usually have multiple undead servants. I wonder if we could write an RPG with multiple Mister Caverns and only one player.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... y-Gygaxian
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Here's the thread that opens with a link to Wallis's slide show

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51813

and continues with the usual den-style commentary
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

virgil wrote:
I see your quote and raise you another.
Undead Type wrote:Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
It doesn't specify "you must destroy them first", but OK.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I read the Undead type before moving onto the resurrection spell, originally to check on the no-save claim. I only meant to clarify, not to snark.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

I was looking at the rules for Gygaxian, and I noticed that given the pretty much complete lack of mechanics for the single player character, it encourages games much like old text adventures, where you spend your time going from room to room, picking up loot and solving puzzles.

I wonder if the designer intended to end up with what is very similar to a Zork RPG.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

virgil wrote:I read the Undead type before moving onto the resurrection spell, originally to check on the no-save claim. I only meant to clarify, not to snark.
Of course. I understand. It was just something I missed.