Fable, D&D, and Alignment Points (I'm going to regret this.)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Fable, D&D, and Alignment Points (I'm going to regret this.)

Post by Prak »

So, Fable's Albion could map into a D&D campaign setting pretty well. I think I'd branch out and do more of a "Based on" or "expanded from" than a direct conversion, but it could present a good world in which to run a game. The Hero's Guild set up alone is useful enough for a lazy MC to steal.

The real question is, how to transfer the alignment system, specifically the "evil deeds make you grow horns, good deeds give you a halo" bit. Should a running tally of good vrs. evil deeds actually be kept, even if only by MC? The actual effects I'd simply work like Fiendish Traits from ToF, but the question is "how do we determine when those effects come in?"

Also, I just now definitely want to keep track of points in some way, just because I can use the terms millihitlers and kilonazis.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Hero's Guild suffers from the major thematic problem of "why does this exist?" It doesn't care whether the heroes it turns out are villains or saints, so it has no ethical basis, and it doesn't really seem to be making any kind of profit off of the people it raises as heroes. Never mind all the various other holes in the plot (why did Maze wait until you were a powerful, grown hero to try and kill you, for example), the question of "what's in it for the guild" is one you have to answer. Potentially, "all the heroes they raise owe them like 100,000 GP for being raised by them" could work. The guild makes a profit and your PCs have a common motivation from the word go.

As for a morality system, this is one thing where tabletop RPGs have a clear advantage over video games, so it sounds like a really good idea to exploit that. GMs can make ad-hoc decisions as to whether or not an action is good or evil based on the complexities of human morality, instead of just saying "that guard was Good-aligned so killing him gives you Evil points." A straight good/evil system still seems like wasted potential, though.

If you want to go with straight Good and Evil, it's fairly easy. Just give a few listed examples of common things PCs might do that are nice and less so and how many millihitlers should be given or taken away for doing them (i.e. "lying for personal gain: 1 millihitler, stealing for convenience: 2 millihitlers, killing for convenience: 5 millihitlers").

I'd recommend branching out to something like the Magic morality, though. Black would run on kilonazis, Green runs on kilohippies, White runs on kilosaints, Blue runs on SCIENCE! and etc. etc. Black wreathes you in shadow and gives you horns, Green turns your skin to plant and makes your hair into leaves, White makes you glow and gives you (purely aesthetic) wings, Blue gives you weird runes and glowing eyes, Red lights you on fire.

EDIT: Also, the sample number of millihitlers I gave assumed that a full Hitler was the upper limit, but it occurred to me soon after posting that you'd probably want to give out just one for most evil acts and two for really egregious things (rape, torture, burning down orphanages), and then have something like ten or twenty be the Moral Event Horizon.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I kind of always assumed that when a quest card shows up, the person who put it in is putting forth the monetary reward, and the Guild keeps a percentage or flat fee. It also seems to be Albion's version of a standing Army, given that when Jack of Blades is activating gates at the end of the first game, apprentices and guards are battling minions and such while you go after Jack.

A more diverse system could be interesting, I'd have to work out lists of deeds and traits.

On millihitlers, I figure a Hitler is equivalent to the killing of 21 million people (seems to be the number for the full death toll attributable to Hitler). So a millihitler is something like 21,000 deaths, while a Nazi is equivalent to 1.2 deaths (21 million divided by the number of Wehrmacht servicemen between '39 and '45, 17,893,200), and thus a kilonazi would be 1200 deaths.
Last edited by Prak on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Thinking about this more, I'd go with something like a reverse-Humanity system from White Wolf. You start out at zero in all things, and you can go up by performing increasingly ambitious/self-sacrificing/passionate/logical/environmental things. So, "killing someone to steal their shoes" would be, say, 6/10 for Black, while "brainwashing a population into being your willing slaves" would be 9/10 and "exterminating an inconvenient race of people" would be 10/10. You may or may not keep track of all at once. Keeping track of them all would be best, but might be too much bookkeeping, so you might just pick one or two and keep track of only those.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Post by Hieronymous Rex »

I'm with Chamomile. In playing Star War D20 for a long time, I've come to dislike the Dark Side point system, since it's bean counting and leads to questions like "how many DSPs does the Emperor have?".

When you perform an evil act, if it is significantly more evil than any of your previous evil acts, you go further down on the Good/Evil track.

+5 Sacrifice your life for others
+4 Risk your life for others
+3 Save someone's life without expecting a reward
+2 Give up a fortune for someone else
+1 Give up your personal gain for someone else
+0 Don't harm anyone, but don't help either
-1 Lie or steal for personal gain
-2 Enrich yourself at the expense of an entire town or more
-3 Kill someone for personal gain
-4 Kill a large number of people
-5 Genocide

However, in order to go backwards, you must perform a Good act to cancel it out. For instance, if you were at -3, you would need to commit a +3 act to get back to +0
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The problem with that system is that it is functionally impossible to be at +5 unless the setting has fairly easy resurrection, which kind of moots the point of giving your life for someone anyway. It could also probably benefit from being stretched out to -10 through +10, since virtually everyone is going to be at +4 or -4 within three sessions under that system, and will likely never budge after that point.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I haven't played Fable, but in games like KotOR I think that the alignment system is usually kind of dumb, in the sense that kicking 50 puppies is supposed to be the equivalent of 1 baby rape (or whatever the exchange rate is). And likewise, you spend all of your time looking for opportunities to be a jerk just to pump up your jerk rating -- being a jerk should be its own reward, goddammit!

At the very least, I hope you avoid the case where being "neutral" consists of being nice half of the time and being an asshole half of the time.
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

At the very least, I hope you avoid the case where being "neutral" consists of being nice half of the time and being an asshole half of the time.
I don't get your meaning. What else would it be?
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:
I don't get your meaning. What else would it be?
Being neither nice nor an asshole most of the time.

If you are nice for half the week and a complete tool the other half, you aren't neutral, you're bipolar.
Hieronymous Rex wrote:However, in order to go backwards, you must perform a Good act to cancel it out. For instance, if you were at -3, you would need to commit a +3 act to get back to +0
You should have to do MORE good to cancel out evil. Paraphrasing Frank in another thread, if you build 50 bridges you're Johnny the Helpful Carpenter. But if you rape one kid you're Johnny the Pedophile. Negative things should count more...not least because many things that people consider "good" are considered a default for living in a reasonable society.
Chamomile wrote:I'd recommend branching out to something like the Magic morality, though. Black would run on kilonazis, Green runs on kilohippies, White runs on kilosaints, Blue runs on SCIENCE! and etc. etc. Black wreathes you in shadow and gives you horns, Green turns your skin to plant and makes your hair into leaves, White makes you glow and gives you (purely aesthetic) wings, Blue gives you weird runes and glowing eyes, Red lights you on fire.
I fully support this idea, because it is awesome. One minor caveat...Red shouldn't light you on fire, because that makes it really hard to hang out at the tavern and sleep with chicks. Red gives you scales and sharp teeth and fiery eyes with slit pupils and smoky breath, and maybe dragon wings or a tail or something.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

If you are nice for half the week and a complete tool the other half, you aren't neutral, you're bipolar.
But "bipolar" isn't anywhere on a morality track. Unless your saying that it should be? I see no reason that such a person can't just be left at Neutral.
You should have to do MORE good to cancel out evil.
This seems to fit, then: If you are -4, committing a +4 act will bring you to -3. You have to step backwards progressively.

About the color magic: It would be simpler, but keep the flavor if there is still a single track, but your class (or something else) determined what sort of changes you undergo. For instance, a druid or other nature related class would, if good, grow leaves and bark, and if evil, will grow stinging nettles and have rough, dead looking bark.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:

But "bipolar" isn't anywhere on a morality track. Unless your saying that it should be? I see no reason that such a person can't just be left at Neutral.
To clarify, I meant that, at the very least, that shouldn't the ONLY in-game way to be "neutral".

I slightly prefer the "Mass Effect" method of tracking "nice" and "nasty" points separately, I suppose. But you still end up with the dilemma of "Jesus only skull-fucked one baby, so I guess everybody still loves him".
Hieronymous Rex
Journeyman

Is Prak is OK with the added complexity, a separate Nice/Nasty track might work. Also, you can call yourself Nasty Good.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:But "bipolar" isn't anywhere on a morality track.

Code: Select all

Good
  | Good        Bipolar/Goodevil
  |
  | Neutral     Evil
  |
  +----------------------- Evil
IT IS NOW.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:I'm not going to go full-asshole, but I'm turning up the dial about 50 millikaeliks.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:
This seems to fit, then: If you are -4, committing a +4 act will bring you to -3. You have to step backwards progressively.
I can see that happening. Committing an evil act will move you as many steps as the act is evil, but a good act will only move you if you commit an act as good as the step you're on. So, no matter how many +2s a -5 guy does, he'll never get to -4; he has to do a +5 to get to -4. If you're at -3, you need a +3 to move you to -2, if you're at +3, you have to do a +3 to move to +4. However, if you're at +3 and you commit a -4, you end up at -1.

The only problem I see with this is that it's path-dependent. If you commit a -5 followed by a +5, you're at -4; if you do a +5 followed by a -5, you're at 0. Is path-dependence something we want?
Last edited by Vebyast on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Vebyast wrote:
Hieronymous Rex wrote:
I can see that happening. Committing an evil act will move you as many steps as the act is evil, but a good act will only move you if you commit an act as good as the step you're on. So, no matter how many +2s a -5 guy does, he'll never get to -4; he has to do a +5 to get to -4. If you're at -3, you need a +3 to move you to -2, if you're at +3, you have to do a +3 to move to +4. However, if you're at +3 and you commit a -4, you end up at -1.

The only problem I see with this is that it's path-dependent. If you commit a -5 followed by a +5, you're at -4; if you do a +5 followed by a -5, you're at 0. Is path-dependence something we want?
Wouldn't that put you at +4? That also explains how the forces of good can be such dicks: once you've done a good enough thing, lesser evils roll right off of you until you commit genocide.

Also, that makes atonement a little saner.
Soda
Apprentice

Post by Soda »

Prak_Anima wrote:On millihitlers, I figure a Hitler is equivalent to the killing of 21 million people (seems to be the number for the full death toll attributable to Hitler). So a millihitler is something like 21,000 deaths, while a Nazi is equivalent to 1.2 deaths (21 million divided by the number of Wehrmacht servicemen between '39 and '45, 17,893,200), and thus a kilonazi would be 1200 deaths.
They should start using this metric.

Hindenburg = 0.03 kilonazis
Hurricane Katrina = 1.5 kilonazis
Hiroshima and Nagasaki = 205 kilonazis
Black Death = 83,333 kilonazis or 4.8 Hitlers
Last edited by Soda on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Hieronymous Rex wrote:About the color magic: It would be simpler, but keep the flavor if there is still a single track, but your class (or something else) determined what sort of changes you undergo. For instance, a druid or other nature related class would, if good, grow leaves and bark, and if evil, will grow stinging nettles and have rough, dead looking bark.
The whole point of the color magic is dodging the problem every good/evil karma system runs into: You're ultimately left with a choice between being Hitler or Mother Teresa since there's no value in occupying the middle ground and no distinction between a druid who regularly kills people for trespassing in his forest and a gangster who regularly kills people for trespassing in his turf, even though these characters have radically different motivations (the druid is defending nature and the gangster is maintaining his position of power).
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Chamomile wrote:...distinction between a druid who regularly kills people for trespassing in his forest and a gangster who regularly kills people for trespassing in his turf, even though these characters have radically different motivations (the druid is defending nature and the gangster is maintaining his position of power).
Bullshit. The druid is just a terrifying redneck killing as a power trip.

IMO, actions on a good/evil axis should be permanent. If you eat a thousand babies and become a demon, no amount of good you do should make you non-demonic. You might gain angelic traits (as a 'risen demon'), but you're still a goddamn baby eater even if you aren't eating them right now and feel bad about having eaten them.

Similarly, once you're an angel, doing evil shit shouldn't make you non-angelic. It should just turn you into a creepy fallen angel.

The one way I can think of for getting rid of good or evil is time. If you're in retirement after being a volunteer firefighter, your angelic traits will slowly fade. A reformed and risen devil will eventually become an angel, but it's a slow process of waiting years for its demonic traits to disappear.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

fectin wrote:
Vebyast wrote:
Hieronymous Rex wrote:

Wouldn't that put you at +4? That also explains how the forces of good can be such dicks: once you've done a good enough thing, lesser evils roll right off of you until you commit genocide.

Also, that makes atonement a little saner.
NO. The point is that evil acts count for more than good acts. It takes a lot of good to redeem you once you've gotten pretty evil, but it only takes a little evil to ruin all your goodness.

Climbing to the top of the pedestal is hard, as is staying there. Falling off is easy.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Bullshit. The druid is just a terrifying redneck killing as a power trip.
You've decided to assume that, yes, and the Druid would be getting both Green and Black points for that, but the gangster would be getting only Black points. People can have motivations more complex than "evil jerk" or "unironic hero." And no, "evil jerk who happens to be fighting an even more evil jerk" does not count.
Similarly, once you're an angel, doing evil shit shouldn't make you non-angelic. It should just turn you into a creepy fallen angel.

The one way I can think of for getting rid of good or evil is time. If you're in retirement after being a volunteer firefighter, your angelic traits will slowly fade. A reformed and risen devil will eventually become an angel, but it's a slow process of waiting years for its demonic traits to disappear.
This, however, sounds like a cool idea.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I totally didn't read this conversation at all, so this idea may already have been stated.

How about deity points? You have an overarching god who awards you points based on your actions during the day, and whether or not they fell in line with what that god wants of you.

Instead of good/bad, there's a god that wants you to kill elven children, cut down old trees, but donate to charities that help non-elves.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...You Lost Me wrote:I totally didn't read this conversation at all, so this idea may already have been stated.

How about deity points? You have an overarching god who awards you points based on your actions during the day, and whether or not they fell in line with what that god wants of you.

Instead of good/bad, there's a god that wants you to kill elven children, cut down old trees, but donate to charities that help non-elves.
Actually that makes a certain amount of sense. But it may just be better to do it by philosophy, so that characters that don't worship a particular god (most of the ones I see), still get their alterations.

...also it'd be the same as good/evil for a game based on Fable because there are only two (completely made up in universe) gods, Avo and Skorm.

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

PoliteNewb wrote:NO. The point is that evil acts count for more than good acts. It takes a lot of good to redeem you once you've gotten pretty evil, but it only takes a little evil to ruin all your goodness.

Climbing to the top of the pedestal is hard, as is staying there. Falling off is easy.
Reminds me of Marvel Superheroes -- if you killed someone, your Karma would drop to 0 instantly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So, I'm working on this, and figured I'd pull out every previous attempt at similar good/evil point stuff I could find, and it raises a question or two.

First: should alignment points be resistable? Dragon magazine did redemption/temptation points. The way they worked was that when a "conflicted" character (I guess one that did something against their alignment) did a redemptive or tempting act, like, say, hugged their little sister (yes, seriously), or killed an innocent, they made a check or save (wisdom or will, depending on the group's decision). If they failed, they got a point. So, should you be able to resist the taint of goodness that you encounter because you're a dark, evil drow anti-paladin who just happens to love his family, or should you gain alignment points every time you do something fitting, FINAL DESTINATION. ...and can reverse it by doing opposed acts.

Second: How much granularity should there be? Too much, and players are keeping track of very small numbers till they get to a 1000 or so. Too little, and it's difficult to show a moral difference between Bestow Curse and Create Greater Undead (as an example). What's a good number? 50? 100?

Edit: Also, I've been working on the flavour aspects, trying to get everything worked out outside of mechanics, and I've realized, integrating the Magic colour wheel is going to be difficult...
Last edited by Prak on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Prak_Anima wrote: Too much, and players are keeping track of very small numbers till they get to a 1000 or so. Too little, and it's difficult to show a moral difference between Bestow Curse and Create Greater Undead (as an example). What's a good number? 50? 100?
Seriously, 15 is about your limit unless you're making a video game. More than that is much too difficult to keep track of.

Also, the Magic colors were A) Mostly an example and B) Intended to be tracked separately from each other, not as a set of opposed axes.