how little is too little?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

how little is too little?

Post by shadzar »

how much does a player really need to play D&D.

the character sheet only has the players name on it...and is a normal sheet of writing paper.

what else does he REALLY need?
  • Character's name

what else?

try to narrow down the information needed to play the game.. a role playing game, but sticking to D&D in ALL its forms.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

You don't need name or even a piece of paper. I could just be yelling bang bang, and the other person could just say "missed me. Bang bang"

And that's not D&D, that's MTP. D&D needs numbers, period, and you're silly for suggesting otherwise.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

D&D? Class and Level. Six stats, plus a few derived ones like hit points, AC, and saves. Spells to cast for the casters (and maybe others). Thieves with some MTP bypassing mechanics.

Your character certainly doesn't need a name. Oh, they can usually pick some number of combat and non-combat abilities to differentiate them, mostly as flavour, besides the spells.

Movement limits. Number of attacks per round. ... Alignment. Languages spoken. Number of Iron Rations in your pack.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

tussock wrote:D&D? Class and Level. Six stats, plus a few derived ones like hit points, AC, and saves. Spells to cast for the casters (and maybe others). Thieves with some MTP bypassing mechanics.

Your character certainly doesn't need a name. Oh, they can usually pick some number of combat and non-combat abilities to differentiate them, mostly as flavour, besides the spells.

Movement limits. Number of attacks per round. ... Alignment. Languages spoken. Number of Iron Rations in your pack.
im going to break this down into more generic terms...or try to.

Class and level
HP
armor
spells
rate of movement
alignment
languages
equipment

i left a few things out for now to consider on, but these above...

class and level is kind of needed for an RPG..it shows progress of the character or growth as a book can for the game

HP.. you got to know when you can and cant play

armor...you need to know SOMETHING about your defense or that you have one...not sure if a player REALLY needs to know AC.

spells.. yeah you got to have something to use magic with other than magic producing equipment

ROM.....everyone COLD move at the same rate... i am sure you forgot..but race is missing form your list, which further shows it doesnt really matter for movement and everyone CAN move at the same speed.

alignment.. whether just good and evil like D&D ot good and evil, law and chaos, like AD&D and 3.x...some sort of this would be good to have. jsut NOT the 9 hole you try to place your peg into... if using both.. well you know what i say on that.. just look at each part individually and NEVER try to mix them to create Lawful Good. instead make it Lawful / Good. always check each as they NEVER really have anything to do with each other.

languages.. if you have more than one, then you need to know about them and a chance to know more than one, otherwise not needed for a single language.

gear.. yeah you need to know if you ran out of arrows or food. resource tracking is a big part of the game. you cant buy food in 3 days from now, but be eating it today. no Whimpy Rations.

stats...does the player really need a number for this? if you have bend bars etc..then it must be derived form somewhere.. but do you need all those division of them or would a single number for each work.. im not sure how to think or treat stats yet.

saves... is 5 or even 3 needed, or a save for each type... or maybe just ONE save, or none if you say a save is based on those stats that i havent figured the workings out on yet. saves are then like an "ability check" roll under strength and you saved versus the poison kind of thing...

thieves bit you need to elaborate on, and IF thieves are really needed as a class? arent ALL adventurers in a sense thieves as they partake in grave robbing?

abilities as flavor... is this needed? as flavor.. well abilities is just stuff you can do like fire-building, and you dont need some big list.. but should it be as small and simple like 4th and its what.. 11 skills or something like that? again couldnt an ability check do the job? combat abilities specifically.. what is different from poking with a sword and swinging it... couldnt it do the same damage so does it need different abilities or "moves" to do this? maybe i misunderstand "combat abilities" as you wrote it?

so ability scores or the "six stats" can handle saves and "abilities" without needing two more systems or lists for them.

also under gear.. any money of course.
Last edited by shadzar on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Yeah, the way Conan did adventuring, thieves was more like " you have a high Dex and you took a skill that refined it towards thieving"

Honestly, doing wacky high damage with sneak attack is pretty weird as a class exclusive feature, especially with hit points as Hero Points
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

OgreBattle wrote:Yeah, the way Conan did adventuring, thieves was more like " you have a high Dex and you took a skill that refined it towards thieving"

Honestly, doing wacky high damage with sneak attack is pretty weird as a class exclusive feature, especially with hit points as Hero Points
so you think thief is a wasted attempt at a class and everyone should be able to be one, or it is needed so it CAN have backstab sneak attacks speciality?

i am thinking mind you, that you mean a flanking attack anyone should be able to do rather than a small group of people...and it may give some benefit to making such an attack from outside of the field of vision of the one you are attacking?
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

shadzar wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:Yeah, the way Conan did adventuring, thieves was more like " you have a high Dex and you took a skill that refined it towards thieving"

so you think thief is a wasted attempt at a class and everyone should be able to be one, or it is needed so it CAN have backstab sneak attacks speciality?

i am thinking mind you, that you mean a flanking attack anyone should be able to do rather than a small group of people...and it may give some benefit to making such an attack from outside of the field of vision of the one you are attacking?
Sneaky McBackstab as a character class arises from having constantly increasing hit point totals as you level up, and having completely flat weapon damage. By level 10 getting stabbed with a dagger is a complete non-issue for pretty much any character, while in real life getting stabbed by 8 inches of sharp pointy steel is a life-threatening wound.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

You need a teacup and some liquid, or maybe even pretend there's liquid in it.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

you have confused me where some things like "speed" is duplicated there as to WHY they are duplicated?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

One is probably movement speed and the other initiative.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

that makes sense and, well it looks as simple and pretty as the first ones...

Last edited by shadzar on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

shadzar wrote:that makes sense and, well it looks as simple and pretty as the first ones...
Where's the place you put "GP" and "Items"? Where's the line for "Race"?
Should I just scribble that loosely on the empty back of the page?

And every character sheet worth something has a tiny box in which you crudely sketch your character's profile, naturally.
At least your sheets have that... although not much else.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sigma999 wrote:
shadzar wrote:that makes sense and, well it looks as simple and pretty as the first ones...
Where's the place you put "GP" and "Items"? Where's the line for "Race"?
Should I just scribble that loosely on the empty back of the page?

And every character sheet worth something has a tiny box in which you crudely sketch your character's profile, naturally.
At least your sheets have that... although not much else.
GP and items went on the same thing they always did and still do.. a sheet of loose-leaf paper.

your race was human.. you could choose elf as a class if you wanted.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

shadzar wrote: your race was human.. you could choose elf as a class if you wanted.
Oh so it's 1e or "old AD&D" from my recollection. Dwarf too, right? Maybe halfling. "Hobbit".
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sigma999 wrote:
shadzar wrote: your race was human.. you could choose elf as a class if you wanted.
Oh so it's 1e or "old AD&D" from my recollection. Dwarf too, right? Maybe halfling. "Hobbit".
no those are D&D, not AD&D character sheets. like for BECMI and B/X.

its BEFORE AD&D..though those sheets may have been sold after AD&D was released.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

shadzar wrote:you have confused me where some things like "speed" is duplicated there as to WHY they are duplicated?
The bits in all caps would be permanent fixtures on the character sheet labeling parts of it.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
shadzar wrote:you have confused me where some things like "speed" is duplicated there as to WHY they are duplicated?
The bits in all caps would be permanent fixtures on the character sheet labeling parts of it.
ok CAPS = the form, and the other is the notes for each blank what goes in it when filled. gotcha.