5th edition already exists and has for over 30 years...

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

5th edition already exists and has for over 30 years...

Post by shadzar »

so the underlying premise of 5th edition is everyone being able to play a game called "D&D", and pick and choose what parts they want to use during play.

Isn't that exactly what people have been doing since the beginning by staying with an edition or moving on to the next one?

Picking parts and customizable options are what is called house rules.

So what exactly is WotC planning on selling?

The easiest way to make the 5th edition they envision, would be to fire have the "creative" and "design' staff, and reprint the older editions and their core rules alone.

Then lose the focus on the website to any single edition, meaning moving DDI to an offsite, or special corner of the site. Then focus on producing things with in-house editors like the old Dragon and Dungeon did with fan submissions.

Maybe make some new things that are able to work with each edition, like a new monster (cause the 25,000 that already exist arent enough), or weapon.. whatever, you get the idea.

Have ALL new material have the stats for use with ALL editions, and then people can play whatever they want, and any player of ANY edition will still be interested in the book, if they are interested in the topic, because it will have their edition components in it to play with.

Also get rid of the stupid LFR, LFG, Encounter type of crap and go back to a model that supports D&D itself, and have whatever it takes like MtG to run events, so that it doesnt matter what you play, you are playing D&D and that is all that matters, so whatever gimme you get for playing or reward if they still do that, you get.

It also helps get people in the stores, the stock the stores needs is limit to the few editions and thier core books for people to choose form, and new material will be edition neutral and smaller amounts, but more people would buy them for a more steady revenue stream for both company and local store.

Book breakdown
1- B/X (or was it 2 module sized books?)
1- BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia
3- 1st AD&D
1- 1.5
3- 2nd AD&D
1- 2.5
3- 3.0
3- 3.5
3- 4th
3?- Essentials

i meant hey are already reprinting 1st edition AD&D books, so why not finish with it... and actually to cut down on the number of books, merge the DMG and MM to a single book for each edition.

I purposefully left out the original Chainmail and that version of OD&D, because reprinting it i feel would be a waste. Let it exist in legacy and memory...and 4th is close enough for a fantasy medieval miniature wargame.

So REALLY what is WotC planning to produce, since the "edition war" will never end, as nobody will EVER agree on what D&D is, as house rules vary from game to game...so 5th edition is what everyone has been doing all along when they chose the edition and house rules they wanted to play anyway.

:confused:
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

For the benefit of people who have shadzar on "Ignore", he's suggesting that D&D products should be multi-statted for multiple editions.

My two cents: I've owned some multi-statted stuff in the past (e.g. Bad Medicine for Dr. Drugs, The Great Supervillain Contest) and it's bloody annoying.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Agreed. I don't like paying for other game system content that I'm not going to use.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

That should be reserved for electronic supplements to gaming books.
Last edited by Fuchs on Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

hogarth wrote:For the benefit of people who have shadzar on "Ignore", he's suggesting that D&D products should be multi-statted for multiple editions.
Thanks, I was about to indulge in intellectual self-flagellation out of sheer curiosity. You've helped me realize that I have a problem.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp wrote:Agreed. I don't like paying for other game system content that I'm not going to use.
To play devil's advocate, old D&D stat blocks wouldn't take up much room; stat blocks were pretty tiny in those days. But they'd still be a visual distraction.

The biggest argument against multi-system products, in my experience, is that they end up clearly written in one system and translated poorly to another. I'd probably rather have no translation (and make my own translation) than a poor translation.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

hogarth wrote: The biggest argument against multi-system products, in my experience, is that they end up clearly written in one system and translated poorly to another. I'd probably rather have no translation (and make my own translation) than a poor translation.
That's going to happen anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how this "module" based 5th edition is even going to function logistically.

Realistically they'll draw up whatever they think is fucking uber anime awesome kickass MMO shit and that'll be "default" D&D that everything is written for, with some really poorly written unfinished conversion rules to supposedly take you to different "flavors" of D&D. And you'll either need to take a course in calculus to do the translations or they'll be so meaningless you'll have to start over from scratch.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

As long as each monster gets their own page and it isn't split up like the 3e MM series I'm fine with that.

The downside to having multiedition support would either be many monsters deleted from the books or very thick books.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

sigma999 wrote:As long as each monster gets their own page and it isn't split up like the 3e MM series I'm fine with that.

The downside to having multiedition support would either be many monsters deleted from the books or very thick books.
multiedition book was just the only thing i could figure out like all the "modules" they talk about, but that could be done simple without writing for one version and translating.

IF one of them knows each edition well enough, then just pic an existing monster, per say, and pick stats close to what it would have in each edition and put it on the page and viola.. new monster.

throw some ecology on there and a monster per page. look how much wasted space the Monstrous Manual actually has, and ALL other run-on monster manuals were a bit quite annoying. though maybe they could go Compendium style and give 4 for the price on 1 or whatever it needs to be, small books and you could split the price by giving the 4th edition section to a friend, keep the 3.x section, give the B/X section to another friend etc?

i jsut cant see a single edition working, so figure to get all these modules in they would jsut as easily be able to reprint previous core books, and make new material moving forward that works for all editions without being strictly fluff.

what they are proposing with "rules modules" just doesnt seem any more feasible than each edition being its own, except rather than "edition wars" you will end up with "module wars".. and still not everyone will want or need to rebuy the game when they have one... someone liking 3rd and having the books doesnt need to buy D&D 5/next to play D&D.. they already have it. so what else will those forgotten players have to purchase if the "core" of the new amalgam game doesnt suit them?
Last edited by shadzar on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)