DenDom 4: Late Age, 4-6 Players, no mods

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

DenDom 4: Late Age, 4-6 Players, no mods

Post by Orion »

So yeah, I want to get into another Dominions game. I'm interested in Late era, and 4-6 players only so I can keep track of what's going on. Host schedule will be 26 hours intially, subject to tyrannical and autocratic extension at the whims of my academic schedule.

I would like to play as: Atlantis, Jomon, Patala

Edit: Victory Points, site frequency somewhere between 35 (default) and 50.

Roster:

Myself: Atlantis
Sinister: Ulm
Drago: Marignon
Korwin: Ermor
DSM: ???
(one slot left)

Tomorrow I'll start looking for a map. What do people think of Silent Seas?
Last edited by Orion on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I'd be keen. Ulm, Gath, Agartha. I would advocate for normal site frequency.
Last edited by koz on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I have exactly 17 turns of MP game under my belt, but if that doesn't bother you I'm sort of interested in playing. I'm not really that familiar with or a big fan of LA, but I am thematically interested in (no particular order): Abysia, Caelum, Gath, and Utgard. Any suggestions? Something relatively easy to use out of the box?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Utgard is probably the simplest of those 4 factions. Your research mage has no randoms, so once you figure out how to use them you can use them all the same way. You recruit giants everywhere and sacred giants at home. You have capital-only big casters and recuit anywhere thugs, with a blood suit minor enough that proper blood management isn't too essential.

Gath is very similar, and actually better for having more powerful sacreds, massable archers, and recruit-anywhere human sacreds, not to mention arguably better magic. However, they are more of a pain to deal with, since their sacreds are more difficult to mass, their mages have tones of randoms, some are heretics, and they need to do blood in a big way. Also their buildings are incredibly expensive which makes planning a pain.

Abysia's army is actually not notably hardcore in the Late Age, just kinda average. What they have going for them is doing blood and astral in a huge way, and tons of recuirtable mage- and priest-assassins.

Caelum has access to mammoths for early expanion and access to really good and straightforward battle magic, plus good endgame options, but suffers from the fact that figuring out how to beat human soldiers with birdmen is really hard.
Last edited by Orion on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

With this, I'll be playing a game in EA MA and LA :tongue:

Marignon, Pythium, C'tis
Last edited by Drago0661 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Do I want another try as Ermor? Allready lost 2 times with em...
Maybe the third is the charm?

Unless you don't want Ermor in you can count me in.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Hm... I'd like to get some more experience under my belt before I give up the crutch of good basic units, so giants seem like a good bet. Already in a game as Hinnom, though Gath seems pretty different by LA and I just don't like nature and death as much as earth and fire.

Gath, Abysia, Utgard.

Edit: Silent Seas seems small unless we want early wars. 45 land provinces split 4-5 ways? And lots of water provinces, though some look inland.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

45 split 4-5 ways isn't too bad - 15-20 provinces per player. I'm OK with Silent Seas, provided it's the wraparound one.

Also, Korwin: No Ermor, pl0x.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Check your math, Sinister. 45/5 is 9 land provinces per player. Now, a "medium" random map is 15 total provinces per player, including water, so my original thought was that we would use the non-wraparound version of Silent Seas, giving us 60 provinces/5 players = 12. However, I can see that with me and Ermor as the only factions with easy sea access, that might be an excessive amount of water. So I'll look for something else.

Actually, we could just use the Thedas map again. Thoughts?
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I really need to avoid posting late. Yeah, Thedas would be fine.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Frank's Thedas map, here? That's fine with me.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Oops, I misremembered the size of that map. That's gonna be too big, I'd rather go back to Aran.

I tried making a map this afternoon but I don't understand how to set start locations or victory points.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I think victory points is an llamaserver configuration and dont need to be in the map.
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Aran is also good - it's one of my favourite maps. The only thing I dislike about it is that it doesn't wrap.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

I'm fine with Aran, though it's a little big. Sucks to be anyone depending on cap-only recruits (IE me.) I'll manage though.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

And yeah, Ermor is fine by me.
Last edited by Orion on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'll take the last slot if no-one minds. I'll pick a nation as soon as I get a chance to look over my choices.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'll take Arcoscephale.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Sent in my pretender. Because I have to be in-character in every Dom3 game, I'm the King with Three Shadows in this one.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

submitted my pretender.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

@Orion, you migth want to set an master password in case a player (should not happen*) disapearse and the orginal player (should also not happen) set an password for his nation.

* just as insurance. I'm supersticious that way. Murphy's law will screw with us, if there is no Master Password (aka plan b)....
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

done
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'll take Arcoscephale.
5 of 6, almost there
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Actually, seems like someone snuck in as Gath, so we may have started? Does anyone know who that is?