I will MC After Sundown

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

I will MC After Sundown

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, since all you assholes are terrible MCs who agree to MC and then just give up on it, I'll MC a game.

It will be a slightly advanced In Media Res game set in Ciudad de Mexico.

I have a lot of plot arcs, so what specifically comes up will depend on what the PCs look like, and what you respond to.

For character creation, use the In Media Res rules, and then after that pick three of the following to add to your character:

One Basic Sorcery or Power.
Increase your Edge score.
Two Attribute Points (Not to exceed your maximum based on potency).
Five increases to skills (Again, not to exceed your maximum).
6 Points in Resources, spread however you like.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

What is the medium for this game?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Either IRC or PbP, depending on if we can arrange an IRC time.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I can't get any of my IRC clients working on this machine. I can get roll20, though, which as far as I know can do everything IRC can with no downloads required. Since I'm positive you're just desperate to see me in your game.
Whipstitch
Prince

Re: I will MC After Sundown

Post by Whipstitch »

Kaelik wrote:
Increase your Edge score.
Five increases to skills (Again, not to exceed your maximum).
Alright, quick order of operations question here: If I take the Edge and Skill bonus options together may I use the 5 points to bump a couple skills up to 8 thanks to having a raised Edge score or do I stick with the old skill cap?

Anyway, I'll probably re-tool and update my nezumi sheet for this if there isn't any objections and as far as IRC is concerned I'm in a position to be pretty flexible as long as we're not starting earlier than 10am CDT.[/i]
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Absolutely up to 8, order of operations is whatever is best.

Retool, no problem.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

What times are you thinking?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:What times are you thinking?
This is probably the most important question. I'd be interested in AS, but if it's going to be an IRC format, even in part, then a schedule that fits with my work hours is essential.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Any or all of Sunday afternoon/nights, Monday afternoon/nights, Wednesday afternoon/nights.

All this is based on the Eastern Time Zone.

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Kaelik wrote:Any or all of Sunday afternoon/nights, Monday afternoon/nights, Wednesday afternoon/nights.

All this is based on the Eastern Time Zone.
I'm working from about 8:00 to 18:00, Eastern as well. So that works.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm interested. Any/all of those times should work fine for me.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Well then make characters you assholes.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Hmm...

Sunday works fine. Afternoon works fine. Unfortunately, I do work Monday and Wednesday evenings/nights. That said, I do work from home... so it's not an insurmountable conflict, in the sense it would be if I had to commute.
Kaelik wrote:Well then make characters you assholes.
I lol'd. Working on it right now; probably going to make a Baali.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Have an Android mostly done, thinking about a Dryad, just because the whole "Nazi Sex Doll" origin for the android, well, yeah.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Is this confirmed for IRC? Don't want to bother throwing together a character for a game I can't actually get to.
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

I think the idea is we're looking at a PbP/IRC hybrid... y'know, PbP for the slow-moving between-scenes busywork, and IRC for the complicated important stuff that'd take forever to get through in PbP.

Also... 'Android' tends to equate to 'Sex Doll' anyway, based on archetype alone; this can be toned up or down depending on circumstance and plot focus, but it seems like it's pretty much always assumed. Adding the 'Nazi' aspect just suggests that you've been around for a certain amount of time, given that it's no longer a popular political philosophy. The question is, is that something you feel you can actually pull off in an intelligent and reasonable manner, or was it just a random transgressive whim that happened to occur when considering archetypes? I don't object to creepy sorts of weirdness from first principle, after all... just to such things being done badly, without a good reason.

Origin-wise, I was looking at a fairly conventional sort of 'sold soul to devil in exchange for immortality' deal, punctuated liberally with 'sure, demons are dicks, but Real Ultimate Power is worth getting fucked over'.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

When it comes to the existential angst there's plenty of it to go around for the Animates so you can always crib quite a bit from the Golem (I am more than a tool!) and Frankenstein (Why do you reject me father!?) playbooks if you get tired of stomping around like a murderous PVC clad prima donna. As long as you're an obsessive with an Infernal power source it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

As far as my character is concerned, I plan on being an Order of Daziban affiliated nezumi with a strong emphasis on sorcery. The only reason I haven't put a sheet up yet is because I had been dithering about whether I want to be a pyromaniac or whether I want to smother people with their own despair until they cry uncle or start listening to the Cure. I'm leaning towards the latter, particularly if we've got a potential Baali in the group.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Endovior wrote:Also... 'Android' tends to equate to 'Sex Doll' anyway, based on archetype alone; this can be toned up or down depending on circumstance and plot focus, but it seems like it's pretty much always assumed. Adding the 'Nazi' aspect just suggests that you've been around for a certain amount of time, given that it's no longer a popular political philosophy. The question is, is that something you feel you can actually pull off in an intelligent and reasonable manner, or was it just a random transgressive whim that happened to occur when considering archetypes? I don't object to creepy sorts of weirdness from first principle, after all... just to such things being done badly, without a good reason.
I was actually using something from history. I've mentioned on the forum before.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Ah. Didn't see that one... but the point remains.

Are you intending to play that because you actually have a good idea about how you'd go about playing that, and are enthused about the concept and such? Or just because it's a weird historical tidbit that caught your attention?
Whipstitch wrote:As far as my character is concerned, I plan on being an Order of Daziban affiliated nezumi with a strong emphasis on sorcery. The only reason I haven't put a sheet up yet is because I had been dithering about whether I want to be a pyromaniac or whether I want to smother people with their own despair until they cry uncle or start listening to the Cure. I'm leaning towards the latter, particularly if we've got a potential Baali in the group.
Yeah, I am going to be a Baali, but I'm focusing more on mind control then pyromancy; I took Conditioning, because I want to have mindslaves. After all, having a bunch of mindslaves makes Feeding so much easier. That said, since I get basically all the worthwhile pyromancy for free right out of the gate, there's some toe-stepping going on right there if you were looking to do the same thing.
Last edited by Endovior on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hence why I'm also looking at a dryad.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Fair enough.

That said, I'm mostly done (at the 'fleshing out the background' stage). Quick question for Kaelik regarding the resources: when you're saying add 6 points in Resources, does that mean divide the number 6 into as many new resources as you'd prefer, or can you devote any/all of those points to resources you acquired earlier in character creation? Based on the Edge/Skill thing from earlier, I assume the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to be sure.

My preliminary plan: I intend to work for the WCL, and fill the role of Minister of Prostitution for Ciudad de Mexico Territory. This means I have a fairly large Finances resource... coupled with a somewhat large Duty. It's also kind of a shitty job; the WCL's main hold in Mexico is drugs, and the Covenant's pretty well established in most other areas of illegality, including this one, so it's a case of 'failure is expected'.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Endovior wrote:Fair enough.

That said, I'm mostly done (at the 'fleshing out the background' stage). Quick question for Kaelik regarding the resources: when you're saying add 6 points in Resources, does that mean divide the number 6 into as many new resources as you'd prefer, or can you devote any/all of those points to resources you acquired earlier in character creation? Based on the Edge/Skill thing from earlier, I assume the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to be sure.

My preliminary plan: I intend to work for the WCL, and fill the role of Minister of Prostitution for Ciudad de Mexico Territory. This means I have a fairly large Finances resource... coupled with a somewhat large Duty. It's also kind of a shitty job; the WCL's main hold in Mexico is drugs, and the Covenant's pretty well established in most other areas of illegality, including this one, so it's a case of 'failure is expected'.
Um... Sure? I'm confused what you mean. If you are increasing something, it should generally make sense to be increasable. I can't offhand think of anything that couldn't be increased, so whatever it is is probably fine.

Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Mostly, I meant that the game generally seems to draw a pretty sharp distinction between things that let you buy a new resource, and things that let you increase an existing one; specifically, there's notably more of the former. This is, of course, because having a few high resources is better then having a lot of low ones.

If you're saying 'fuck that, go ahead and have high resources', that's totally excellent, and I'm completely okay with that. I just wanted to be sure that was, in fact, what you were saying.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Rex is an itinerant musician. He was once a simple file clerk, but he sold his soul to be able to impress a woman. The woman is now long dead, and Rex is Fallen. He packed up his guitar and headed south.

Thinking a straightforward Fallen character with Death Note (Symphony of Silence). Probably a nominal member of the Covenant.

Also wondering if I can take a high ranking demon contact with the 6 extra resource points advancement.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:Rex is an itinerant musician. He was once a simple file clerk, but he sold his soul to be able to impress a woman. The woman is now long dead, and Rex is Fallen. He packed up his guitar and headed south.

Thinking a straightforward Fallen character with Death Note (Symphony of Silence). Probably a nominal member of the Covenant.

Also wondering if I can take a high ranking demon contact with the 6 extra resource points advancement.
Yep.