Hilarious non-news: DDI blows, WotC scraps VTT

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

EDIT well that weird weird but some link I was trying to put on here was causing the post to meltdown.

ANYWAY, What I was trying to say is the following:

This [VTT cancellation] was mentioned in the Pahtfinder thread but I thought it deserved some specific attention.

Here is the pretty hilarious Enworld thread about it:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/32623 ... elled.html

Of course, WotC is still marketing it like it is actually a thing on their site. What a bunch of scammers.

The reason this is interesting is not only because it provides further evidence that WotC is just as retarded as you previous expected. It is important to consider how DDI was a key part of the equation in making D&D a "core brand" of Hasbro.

I quote Ryan Dancey:
Sometime around 2005ish, Hasbro made an internal decision to divide its businesses into two categories. Core brands, which had more than $50 million in annual sales, and had a growth path towards $100 million annual sales, and Non-Core brands, which didn't.

Under Goldner, the Core Brands would be the tentpoles of the company. They would be exploited across a range of media with an eye towards major motion pictures, following the path Transformers had blazed. Goldner saw what happened to Marvel when they re-oriented their company from a publisher of comic books to a brand building factory (their market capitalization increased by something like 2 billion dollars). He wanted to replicate that at Hasbro.

Core Brands would get the financing they requested for development of their businesses (within reason). Non-Core brands would not. They would be allowed to rise & fall with the overall toy market on their own merits without a lot of marketing or development support. In fact, many Non-Core brands would simply be mothballed - allowed to go dormant for some number of years until the company was ready to take them down off the shelf and try to revive them for a new generation of kids.

Sometime around 2006, the D&D team made a big presentation to the Hasbro senior management on how they could take D&D up to the $50 million level and potentially keep growing it. The core of that plan was a synergistic relationship between the tabletop game and what came to be known as DDI. At the time Hasbro didn't have the rights to do an MMO for D&D, so DDI was the next best thing. The Wizards team produced figures showing that there were millions of people playing D&D and that if they could move a moderate fraction of those people to DDI, they would achieve their revenue goals. Then DDI could be expanded over time and if/when Hasbro recovered the video gaming rights, it could be used as a platform to launch a true D&D MMO, which could take them over $100 million/year.
lol WotC.
Last edited by infected slut princess on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

infected slut princess wrote:EDIT well that weird weird but some link I was trying to put on here was causing the post to meltdown.

This [VTT cancellation] was mentioned in the Pahtfinder thread but I thought it deserved some specific attention.

canceled

Of course, WotC is still marketing it like it is actually a thing on their site. What a bunch of scammers.

The reason this is interesting is not only because it provides further evidence that WotC is just as retarded as you previous expected. It is important to consider how DDI was a key part of the equation in making D&D a "core brand" of Hasbro.

I quote Ryan Dancey:
Sometime around 2005ish, Hasbro made an internal decision to divide its businesses into two categories. Core brands, which had more than $50 million in annual sales, and had a growth path towards $100 million annual sales, and Non-Core brands, which didn't.

Under Goldner, the Core Brands would be the tentpoles of the company. They would be exploited across a range of media with an eye towards major motion pictures, following the path Transformers had blazed. Goldner saw what happened to Marvel when they re-oriented their company from a publisher of comic books to a brand building factory (their market capitalization increased by something like 2 billion dollars). He wanted to replicate that at Hasbro.

Core Brands would get the financing they requested for development of their businesses (within reason). Non-Core brands would not. They would be allowed to rise & fall with the overall toy market on their own merits without a lot of marketing or development support. In fact, many Non-Core brands would simply be mothballed - allowed to go dormant for some number of years until the company was ready to take them down off the shelf and try to revive them for a new generation of kids.

Sometime around 2006, the D&D team made a big presentation to the Hasbro senior management on how they could take D&D up to the $50 million level and potentially keep growing it. The core of that plan was a synergistic relationship between the tabletop game and what came to be known as DDI. At the time Hasbro didn't have the rights to do an MMO for D&D, so DDI was the next best thing. The Wizards team produced figures showing that there were millions of people playing D&D and that if they could move a moderate fraction of those people to DDI, they would achieve their revenue goals. Then DDI could be expanded over time and if/when Hasbro recovered the video gaming rights, it could be used as a platform to launch a true D&D MMO, which could take them over $100 million/year.
lol WotC.
You had messed up the tags on the url.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I suggest a new kickstarter campaign:
- Buy whatever D&D I.P Hasbro may own and place it into the public domain.

Goal: Raise US $50, because after Hasbro has shit on it so hard, that is what their D&D I.P. is actually worth.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Good luck. The IP still has some serious value for MMOs, apparently.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

You know, at this point I think Hasbro owning WotC may be a net positive for D&D.

Really, I figure that at some point the Powers That Be will take notice of the ineptitude of everything non-M:tG related over at WotC and get rid of the rest of the staff. Then try to actually do something with the brand instead of developping vanity projects.

In fact, I wonder if the 3.5 reprints aren't a test case for that kind of management approach.
Duke Flauros
Journeyman

Post by Duke Flauros »

infected slut princess wrote:EDIT well that weird weird but some link I was trying to put on here was causing the post to meltdown.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/32623 ... elled.html

I quote Ryan Dancey:

lol WotC.
You just don't understand the beauty of WOTC's simulationist narrativist realistic fantastic boundedly-accurate game-specific exception-based approach, where the number don't lie and the math just works.

Here's a review of the wonderful game.
Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition: To Begin With

No more delineation between Players and Dungeon Masters

The biggest noticeable change here is that we're not talking books, any more. At least, not physically. Instead, you've got one big download and then the ongoing subscription, sort of a trickle download thing like Steam used to do when Valve was still around. We'll get to that soon enough.
I'll assume you own 4th Edition for the purposes of this review. If not... good luck. A few years ago I'd have sent you down to your FLGS to grab a copy off the Used Books shelf, but of course the last one closed up shop last month, so that's not an option. You want print you'll have to check out Ebay or Amazon. Irrelevant, though, since what you REALLY want is 5e, right? Right.
So with that, let's look at the D&D Handbook, what we formerly called the Player's Handbook. Why the name change? Well, that's because there's no more delineation between Players and Dungeon Masters. Everyone is a player, and the DM is just a piece of code on the D&D server now. All automated! Sign up and create your characters, and the DM automatically generates a sequence of events for you, perfectly balanced. No prep time, no need to wait for the DM to get his crap together. More on that later. For now, let's look at what's in the D&D Handbook.
For the most part, this is the D&D we know and love. Most of what was in 4e is still here, except it's all been refined and streamlined even further.
Hit points still work the same, but healing surges have been completely revamped. Now every player can use a healing surge in place of a standard action if they want, without any penalty. You won't have to rely on the Leaders to heal you up; you can solo if you want. And best of all, healing surges reset after every encounter -- infinite healing! -- so now you and your group can charge into every encounter without having to spend a half hour discussing, planning or resource managing.
Alignment has also gotten a much needed revamp. Nine alignments were way too many in 3e, and even 5 was cumbersome in 4e, so now we're down to just three: Lawful, Good, and Unaligned. This is a heroic game about good vs evil and I'm glad these rules emphasize that.

Characters: There's no messy character generation process at all

And then there's the biggest change, which is the merging of class and race into one set of Character Packages. This is really old school, and I mean OD&D old, when elves were a class. We're back there, and it really feels natural. It's not really a surprise. I mean, 4e was already pushing certain races towards specific classes: Tiefling Warlocks, Dragonborn Paladins. Playing things like Dwarf Wizards and Gnome Barbarians never made sense, so there was never any reason to allow it. With these Character Packages, you get perfectly balanced numbers every time.
In fact, there's no messy character generation process at all. Pick a package, and your starting stats are all precalculated. Gone are the bad rolls when generating a character: 13 Strength, gone! Now you're a fighter, you get a 20 Strength automatically. Everything is balanced like it should be. Armor is picked with the best option chosen for your character (Paladins get their Plate, Rangers get their Scale, etc). Weapon specializations are picked, and weapons distributed, and now all weapons do a d10 damage so everything is balanced. No unfairness!
Here are the new Character Packages you can pick from:
Martial: 1/2 Orc Barbarian, Dwarf Fighter, Dark Elf Ranger, Halfling Rogue. Each of the martial classes has a different weapon specialization. Barbarians use axes, Fighters use sword and shield, Rangers use two swords, and Rogues use daggers; missile weapons are hand axes, crossbows, longbows and shuriken, respectively.
Divine Classes:Aasimar Cleric, 1/2 Elf Druid, Human Monk, Dragonborn Paladin. Divine classes also have different weapon paths, all using bloodless weapons. Clerics get maces, Druids get shillelaghs, Monks get bare-hand attacks, and Paladins get warhammers.
Arcane Classes: Gnome Bard, Genasi Sorcerer, Eladrin Wizard, Tiefling Warlock. Arcane classes get different implements. Bards get lutes, Sorcerers get staffs, Wizards get wands, and Warlocks get orbs.
Multi-classing? Gone. Nobody did it anyway so why keep it?

Magic and Powers: No more needless decision making or wasting time

And now let's talk about magic items. Moving the magic items to the PHB in 4e was a great decision. Who wanted the DM to mysteriously roll on magic charts to dole out surprises? In the old days sometimes you'd get something you couldn't use. In 4e the players already got to pick their own items when they were found instead of the DM, and now it's one step better: there's no need to pick! Since there's one logical set of items for each Character Package, there's no need to mess around with random charts. Here, at each level, the game tells you what you get. Level 2? Here's your +1 Magic Sword, sir! Level 5? Here's a Healing Potion and a Magic Shield. It's awesome; you get stuff as you level without having to worry about random bad stuff.
Class Powers also get a much-needed revamp and work the same way. Instead of making you agonize over a couple of choices at each level, each Character Package now gets a standard power tree that tells you what you get at each level. No more needless decision making or wasting time; each Character Package gets the same thing when they level up. The kickass part is you are totally free to role-play what the power looks like though. Like if you want it to be fire-based you can say it's fire-based. Sweet!
The best thing though is the revamped and streamlined combat. You don't have to sit around wasting time while you try to decide what power to roll for. Each time your turn comes around, you just play the power card with the highest value, and the game makes it really clear which one that is. So if you have a Level 10 power, you play that one first, and then Level 9, and so on. Once you get all the way down to Level 1, you just use that one over and over. But since every encounter is balanced to only go for about 4 or 5 rounds, that means most of the time you'll never get all the way back to your turn more than a few times. This is really cool since you are constantly using new powers each time. Of course 4e already worked sort of like this, since it always made sense to use your most powerful Encounter powers first, followed by At-Wills, etc. But that meant you always saved the Daily powers up for the last encounter of the night. Is it 11:30 and we're quitting at midnight? Daily time. BORING. Now everything is an At-Will and you just go in order through the power list. Much better.
Plus since magic items are now tied to character advancement all the numbers are added up for you on the power displays. No math required! Just roll a die, or use the pre-built in roller embedded into the document, and go for it! Spiffy!

Dungeon Maker: Entitlement is the new word in Role-Playing

Now let's talk about what used to be the Dungeon Master's Guide and the Monster Manual. These have been entirely replaced with the DM (Dungeon Maker)'s Dungeon Scenario. When each player signs up their character on the server and downloads the D&D Handbook, they just plug in the name of their group or campaign and the Scenario is generated and downloaded to the book.
This Dungeon Scenario is custom-tailored to your specific group, and perfectly balanced so no one ever has a chance of dying. It's like being in your very own novel as the heroes! Each Scenario includes a brief introductory scene (you can role play if you want to but why bother, you can skip this) and then a Dungeon Delve to enter, with a monster encounter and some treasure, all pre-designed in the book and well-balanced. Kill the monster and move on. Just run through 5 two-page encounters and you get a level. 10 pages per level, 500 pages total, lots of content, and all of it is predictable, fun and fast!
And yes, you heard me right: that's at least a guaranteed level every night. Entitlement is the new word in role-playing, and Dungeons & Dragons delivers. Begone unfairness, imbalance and asymmetry! Everyone is rewarded at the same pace regardless of ability or effort. The reward is playing the game.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, you'll be pleased to know that skill challenges are gone! Players still have skills of course but they don't have to mess around with role playing through them. Just roll the d20 when the game tells you and see if you passed or not. Skill challenges are way streamlined, so there's no more need to determine if you succeed or fail by accumulating 7 or 8 die rolls (TEDIOUS!). It's just one roll to see if you succeed immediately, and if you fail, then another roll to see how long it takes you to succeed.
The best part about the scenario is that every encounter is totally unique. You won't have to fight ten rooms of goblins; you'll only meet them once. Each Dungeon Delve has unique creatures and different treasure that's perfectly balanced to where your level is. No "too easy" or "too hard" encounters. And yes before you ask, (SPOILER WARNING) in the final you all fight the T-------e and when you kill him you get to reach level 30 and win the game! Then your characters get Achievements and you get to pass on your best magic item to your next character.
Of course, the next time you pick one of the twelve Character Packages, the entire scenario is re-generated for you. Next time through, you can try it in HARDCORE mode and get to level 50. I think there's even an IMMORTAL mode after that one but we haven't got that far.

In Closing

You should definitely download a copy of D&D 5e. I'll post the torrent later. Since it's a free game now (completely ad supported in the ebook, but I'll write an article soon on how to block those) there's no piracy going on with 5e. Just download, share, and play! It's an amazing game that brings a new dawn to Role-Playing, and best of all it's definitely something you can play with your friends while you're waiting for a WOW raid to start. You can level up 5 or 6 times before the raid, then play some WOW, then do a few more during the raid... You can all hit level 50 inside of a week or two of playing 5e, even if you only play it around other activities, so it's easy, it's quick and it's fun. Campaigns don't take years any more - just a month. With D&D 5e, it's really like an epic fantasy story that you can always win. Adventure, excitement, balance, and awesomeness.

A++++++++ would play again!
Last edited by Duke Flauros on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niao! =^.^=
Mike Mearls wrote:“In some ways, it was like we told people, ‘The right way to play guitar is to play thrash metal,’” “But there’s other ways to play guitar.” “D&D is like the wardrobe people go through to get to Narnia,” “If you walk through and there’s a McDonalds, it’s like —’this isn’t Narnia.’”
Tom Lapille wrote:"As we look ahead, we are striving for clarity in both flavor and mechanics.""Our goal with most of the D&D Next rules is that they get out of the way of the action as much as possible."
Mike Mearls wrote:"Look, no one at Wizards ever woke up one day and said 'Let's get rid of all of our fans and replace them.' That was never the intent."
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

That review made me laugh, cry or both.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

As soon as the review started talking about WoW, I was sure it was a parody. Before that, I actually wasn't sure. I think that's indicative of the current state of 5e.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Wotc have got to be the biggest fools, I've ever seen. If paizo is half competent on their vtt they'll blow Wotc out of the water.

Vtt gaming is a large part of the future, I exclusively play D&d over vtt. I gotta remark how surprised I am att how bad of moves these are.

Wow!
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
erik
King

Post by erik »

If Paizo keeps picking up where WotC failed off, I wonder if Pathfinder will eventually supplant D&D as a more recognizable brand.

It's gotta be crazy hard to replace D&D in public consciousness, however. No other RPG has come close.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's a beautiful model -

let D&D blaze a trail and fail. Then follow that trail and make sure you do it at least as well or better.

They've decided not to be the innovator, just to emulate and 'improve'.
Finkin
1st Level

Post by Finkin »

deaddmwalking wrote:It's a beautiful model -

let D&D blaze a trail and fail. Then follow that trail and make sure you do it at least as well or better.

A vast amount of the most successful companies in the world today employ this same strategy.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Finkin wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:It's a beautiful model -

A vast amount of the most successful companies in the world today employ this same strategy.
I assume you mean this:
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Even the fucking ipad is just a copy of something that Microsoft tried to launch ages past. Turns out you need to be bunch of fucking hipsters in order to sell these things.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

It was more because the technology wasn't there at the time to keep things thin. Oh, and there wasn't enough (software) industry support, and we didn't have most of the stuff that people do on the net then. Among other things.

It actually has very little to do with the suitability of the OS to a tablet.
Last edited by NineInchNall on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Also, because Microsoft's target market at the time was tech-savvy computer users. Apple's target market included the valuable "ooh shiny" demographic.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

That, and it attracts people people who realize they do not in any way shape or form need an actual PC, which is most of the people in the history of time.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
npc310
Journeyman

Post by npc310 »

Apple would call it the iCover, not the Smart Cover Touch.
"If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen." -- Pres. Obama, Roanoke, VA, 13 July 2012
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Under Goldner, the Core Brands would be the tentpoles of the company. They would be exploited across a range of media with an eye towards major motion pictures, following the path Transformers had blazed.

Wait, does this mean that we're going to get a big budget live action My Little Pony summer blockbuster motion picture trilogy?

I can live with that.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Just so long as someone competent directs it, as hilarious as the fail that a Michael Bay MLP movie would be....
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

hyzmarca wrote:
Under Goldner, the Core Brands would be the tentpoles of the company. They would be exploited across a range of media with an eye towards major motion pictures, following the path Transformers had blazed.

Wait, does this mean that we're going to get a big budget live action My Little Pony summer blockbuster motion picture trilogy?

I can live with that.
Depends on the plot.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

NineInchNall wrote: and we didn't have most of the stuff that people do on the net then.
While the net has grown at a geometric rate, and Microsoft has a proven ineptitude at marketing, that claim is crazy talk.

What exactly are people doing on the net now that they weren't doing in the early to mid oughts? MMORPGs, Porn, Nerd Arguments, Email, Chat Rooms, Piracy, Social Networking, browser games, and virus distribution were all common by the late 90s.

The only real post-tablet change to the net is the commonality of streaming video, as 2005 saw the advent of YouTube.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

A lot of broad forms were around but hadn't really hit their mainstream stride yet. Remember, things like tablets and smartphones make a lot of their bones not by providing something unique but by allowing you to do things so easily that many people just start doing that shit compulsively. Plus, things need time to percolate sometimes. A lot of the easy as pie killer apps predate youtube but often it's not by much.