The Deck-Building RPG

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

...You Lost Me
Duke

The Deck-Building RPG

Post by ...You Lost Me »

So the genesis kickstarter just happened. From the previews they're giving the game is going to like 4e but campier and CCG-style. Any thoughts bouncing around here?

Also, is the premise of a deck-based RPG even economically feasible?
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_S ... Revolution

Yes, it's viable for an RPG... sorta. It'll either be very abstract or combat is a thing you do separate from in-game-story-stuff.

Though I already have a lot of fun playing M:tG 'Vorthos' style

I got a theme deck of every color. I don't like things that break theme or feel 'not propa'
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I HATE THIS FUCKING GAME
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I thought that WORRA already existed.

-Username17
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I don't understand what that picture represents.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

You don't notice how the guy is, y'know, building a deck?
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Oh wow. I am dumb.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

FrankTrollman wrote:I thought that WORRA already existed.

-Username17
WORRA is a pay-to-win CCG, with randomized booster packs and shit. Genesis is apparently not.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

There's already a game like this - Thunderstone.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Thunderstone is where you have a bunch of heroes and you're competing to raid a dungeon. This is one hero with powers.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

...You Lost Me wrote:Thunderstone is where you have a bunch of heroes and you're competing to raid a dungeon. This is one hero with powers.
You could actually make an all-spell deck in Thunderstone without heroes (they can be cast without a hero), and I've always thought of the heroes as more of hirelings accompanying the player into the dungeon anyway.

I really don't see anything particularly novel or new about this game yet. On further review it has shades of the new Mage Knight boardgame, but that was a really bad game that is way overrated.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

these games your talking about, thunderstone and such, are the rules free pdf downloads? I'd like to check them out

(the D&D boardgame rules are all available on wotc website)
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Thunderstone has a facebook app, that teaches you the rules well enough and will shuffle your deck progressively worse so that you fail in combats all the time and are incentivized to go buy the game.

Dunno about Worra.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Worra is incredibly slow. You roll to-hit and then you roll damage and then subtract enemy DR. You seem to only actually inflict any damage like half the time. Meanwhile, both players can heal themselves for more than attacks actually inflict in addition to swinging their sword each turn. Actual victories only happen when both players have been decked and whoever has set themselves up with a better set of equipment for steady state grinding does that.

Also: it has a six copy limit for cards and decks are made out of multiple largely identical cards. So you need to get a lot of cards before you can make a deck that isn't completely ass.

There are some interesting ideas there, but I don't think Worra is the right direction to go for anything.

-Username17
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

It looks like Genesis is using cards as their resolution mechanic and RNG, not as representations for spells/abilities/items. They've got some clever ideas for tying wounds and XP into their core mechanic, but the whole thing might be too gimmicky in actual play. Also, depending on how the deck creation and expansion works, I can see problems with running out of cards among the group as a whole.