Topic Requests

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Topic Requests

Post by Prak »

So, I know we all have our own little things we can, and like to, hold forth on. Then there's the thread for "shit, how/what/who...?"

I figured it might be good to have a thread for "hey, I need a treatise on [this], little help?"

So, for me, I'm working on reading through the After Sundown pdf before running a game of it. I got to the Stellar Oracles, and how it talks about prophecies.

It occurred to me that I'm not actually sure how to use prophecies in a game. I mean, I know generally, but I'm worried it would come out railroad-y. So if anyone has a bit of advice, it'd be much appreciated.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

So this is like a thread to ask then asnwer like the "questions I want answered" type of thread, or a place for questions in hopes someone makes a thread about it?

like if i were to ask what is so special about the planescape setting other than to me it seems turning D&D into not D&D.

OR

just where you want the AS question answered?
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Basically I figure that it would be good for there to be a place where questions that need lengthier answers can be asked. I suppose it could still go in AGQ, but, eh. Whether here or another thread would be up to the answerer, I suppose.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm partial to prophecies that function as if/then statements. If blood touches the peak of Mount Verdict on the eve of the coming solstice, then the pit fiend Flagit shall enter the mortal world. Those are like rituals in a lot of ways, and act as goals to ensure if it happens or not; and even if the conditions are unalterable by the party (celestial alignments), then it's a matter of going to where the prophecy is happening to handle the consequences.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Okay, I think the idea of this thread is silly, but prophecies can be fun.

The trick is establishing in what way the prophecy is true: if it's true in the "it will happen as specified, but the details that weren't specified could be anything" way, it can be really fun to work around; if it's true in the "this is the way it happened in an alternate future where nobody heard this prophecy" sense, it's a great data point for the players to play with; if it's true in the "letter and spirit of the law" way, it's railroading, or rather, the players can't interact with it, so they are better off ignoring it.
Last edited by Foxwarrior on Mon May 06, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

I like this idea. There are occasionally things you come across that really do deserve, not just another few posts in a Q&A thread, but an actual multi-post-plus-thread treatise. "How do I use prophecies without being railroady" could easily be an entire thread. I think we may have already had a few pages of posts scattered around that someone could compile.
Last edited by Vebyast on Tue May 07, 2013 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.