Why designing new roleplaying systems is futile for anyone.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

Why designing new roleplaying systems is futile for anyone.

Post by shadzar »

So you want to design a roleplaying game? Think you have a fancy new idea for a rules system that will be the best? Forget it. You probably aren't even making a roleplaying system, but a rule-playing system.

What is the key difference in a roleplaying system and a ruleplaying system? Well for starters it is how you use the rules. If the rules are the vessel you use to travel through the game, it is a ruleplaying system. This includes fancy "roles" that have been derived from MMO nomenclature. It is like designing physics for a game, before you even decide if it will have gravity. It just doesn't work.

What a roleplaying game is is simply assuming the life of a fictional character per say, and placing your mind in their body. You have no risk of getting hurt even though your character might, and you cannot really see what they see, nor have to smell what they smell; but they are described enough for YOU, the player to make informed decisions.

What has been lost in modern game design thanks to Forge and Robin Laws, and other incompetent hacks that think their next version of Shadowrun will have the perfect system, is that the system is secondary to the game. Will all X smell like Y? Yes says a rule-playing system, and it probably won't even matter because the way something smells will likely have little to no effect on the rules used. If there is no rule for it, then there is no reason to even bother trying to figure it out. It is a dead system like a computer language. Well I shouldn't say dead, but it was lifeless to begin with.

Now you have tons of payers that always complain why the rules don't allow them to make the fiction they want. This is false, but in a way also true. Many times people try to make something that just doesn't fit with the vision of the other payers they are playing with, but it doesn't mean they cannot find people that will fit with the idea. So what does this mean? Aside from visions not matching, there are too many rules in these rule-playing systems that prevent the ideas and visions of the players. Who has the right vision for what a swashbuckelr is and does? Nobody and everybody, because that is something about a vision. What is a vision anyway? It is the imagination of the player. Rule-playing systems lack the ability for anyone to have their own imagination about a swshbuckler is because it has already pre-defined what you are allowed to imagine it to be.

This lack of designing so that the imagination can take the forefront and places RULES-FIRST in both design and application is the downfall of RPGs. It works for wargames like Warhammer, because you have to pick which little pawn you want to play with and have the rules to move and how it attacks, just like other wargames such as Chess, Go, Shoji, etc. Though often those games do not present you with a choice of which type of piece you can play with, unless you play a variant.

In order for ANYONE to be able to design a roleplaying GAME, not system, they must first get back in touch with their own imagination and see what kind of visions they want to show in it, but at the same time make sure NOT to destroy the ability for someone else to have a different vision, at the same table, or even conflicting vision at a table that will never cross paths with the one designing it.

This is how it all began, and this is where it will have to return to, design by imagination, not by rules codification that prevents imagination during use.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Re: Why designing new roleplaying systems is futile for anyone.

Post by rasmuswagner »

shadzar wrote:So you want to design a roleplaying game? Think you have a fancy new idea for a rules system that will be the best? Forget it. You probably aren't even making a roleplaying system, but a rule-playing system.
....aaaand we're done.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Shadzar, your capitalization is beautiful.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Here I thought this might be a topic about market realities and working conditions.

I'm still torn between agreeing with shad's premise and wishing ignore hid thread titles as well as post content.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

pff

I am undeterred.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Here I thought this might be a topic about market realities and working conditions.
I'm just going to assume the OP justifies the position by saying that Shad's imagining of 2E is already the bestest game evar, so any further attempts are futile. I'm also going to assume that my assumption is far more concise and grammatically correct than anything actually contained in the OP.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

I logged in the first time in at least a year just so I don't have to see Shadzar's posts anymore.

Shame I didn't realise who the thread's OP was until too late.
Last edited by Vnonymous on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yes, you can't create a system that everyone is completely satisfied with. However, if you create a system that satisfies people enough that enough players all agree to play, you're successful.
Blicero wrote:Shadzar, your capitalization is beautiful.
:thumb:
Scrivener
Journeyman

Post by Scrivener »

RobbyPants wrote:
Josh_Kablack wrote:Here I thought this might be a topic about market realities and working conditions.
I'm just going to assume the OP justifies the position by saying that Shad's imagining of 2E is already the bestest game evar, so any further attempts are futile. I'm also going to assume that my assumption is far more concise and grammatically correct than anything actually contained in the OP.
It's actually a little cuter than that, he thinks that rules prevent roleplay.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Best shadzar post for grammar, but worst shadzar post for content.

There must be a saying about that.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I thought this thread was going to have an interesting point...until I realized who the main poster was...

That does bring to question, if we lack the capital (or least, haven't explored the possibility of donation/kickstarter type deal) to move forward this industry, is there anything we can do that'll make difference for all of RPG kind? Is there anyone else currently out there that'll be helping its future? Far as I know, the Den is one of the very few places that could actually make a difference.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Didn't we have a thread where someone basically said this a couple months ago?

I'm glad the Fun Police are on patrol here in the Den. God help me if I ever had unsanctioned fun.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

TheFlatline wrote:Didn't we have a thread where someone basically said this a couple months ago?

I'm glad the Fun Police are on patrol here in the Den. God help me if I ever had unsanctioned fun.
Well, Phone's thread was more about how to keep your ego in check about making an RPG and not worry about pleasing non existent people or tricking people.

This thread is about how it can't be done because one doesn't have the right mind set for making an RPG with prattle about making "rule playing game" even though every game has rules including RPG. Also it seems to be saying that since the rules exist that people don't have imagination or some shit.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Ah gotcha.

I really don't pay much attention to shadzar unless I can't help it.

Thanks for the clarification.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

...You Lost Me wrote:Best shadzar post for grammar, but worst shadzar post for content.

There must be a saying about that.
It makes me think about quantum uncertainty and how to get more accurate information about position you must have less accurate information regarding velocity. For shadzar, it seems similar in regard to minimum post quality. For him to have more crazy post content, his grammar must improve. This would imply that if he posted in thumb-typed-text speech he would start to make cogent points.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Shadzar, the game is the rules. If you want to avoid ruleplaying, then just go do free-form roleplaying somewhere.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Shadzar, could you just go dig Gygax up and put his cock in your mouth so you stop talking?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Koumei wrote:Shadzar, could you just go dig Gygax up and put his cock in your mouth so you stop talking?
But he's typing; he'd need to cradle Gygax's desiccated balls too.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I assumed he at least respected Gygax enough not to neglect the balls.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Didn't read Shadzar's original post, but I actually know what he thinks: All you need for the best RPG ever is a character sheet containing the following information:

---
Name: Joe
Equipment: Hammer, loincloth
---

Play make-believe like a 5-year old for everything else. All other rules are superfluous. Except THAC0.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

sigma999 wrote:pff

I am undeterred.
:eek: Are you the wizard?
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

TheFlatline wrote:Ah gotcha.

I really don't pay much attention to shadzar unless I can't help it.

Thanks for the clarification.
I don't even read Shadzar anymore if I can avoid it, I just read responses to Shadzar and that generally gives me a pretty good idea of what he vomited out. Never pegged him for a "R-O-L-E NOT R-O-L-L!!!!!" shithead, but it really shouldn't surprise me.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Prak_Anima wrote:Never pegged him for a "R-O-L-E NOT R-O-L-L!!!!!" shithead, but it really shouldn't surprise me.
Except that he is also deeply opposed to people creating backstories and getting in character.

Honestly, at this point I'm pretty sure someone could start presenting an opposing view to anything shadzar posts, entirely in quotes from his previous ramblings. Bonus points if they register as razdash to do it.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

shadzar has been awesome to teach me self control. He posts bullshit, I reply to argue against it, then realize it's a shadzar post and just let it slide.

It's like an interactive self-help book.