FPS style barriers/shields

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

fectin wrote:That's the Moh's Hardness Scale. It's a science thing.

Hardness in Dnd is like DR.
Moh?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

AndreiChekov wrote:

Moh?
Mohs, actually.

Friedrich Mohs.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
AndreiChekov wrote:

Moh?
Mohs, actually.

Friedrich Mohs.
very helpful. thank you
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

AndreiChekov wrote:
deanruel87 wrote:The problem with the barrier having a hardness of 1 is that it creates an extra step where you reduce all incoming damage by 1. If you wanted to prevent any math errors you'd give it a hardness of 0.
okay. thank you. The hardness rules have never made much sense to me. I thought that hardness told you what could damage what. As in, a hardness 5 object couldn't damage a hardness 7 object
You might be thinking about this :
3.5 DMG wrote:Hardness and Hit Points: An attacker cannot damage a magic weapon that has an enhancement bonus unless his own weapon has at least as high an enhancement bonus as the weapon or shield struck.
The errata file for the DMG tells you to delete this line though.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Dogbert
Duke

Re: FPS style barriers/shields

Post by Dogbert »

AndreiChekov wrote:I have never seen the need for the two different classes. Sorcerer is for newbs. If you have one, the DM should be able to tell them what spells are usually worthwhile, or it could just be in the game text.
I'm not against eliminating Sorcerers and Wilders from game. People wanting to go for the "innate power" thing can still go for the Psion.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How about a system where you rest up to max HP, but your hitpoint maximum is lowered by a certain amount (like by 2 for every 10 damage taken) and you only get that back when yo have a full rest.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

AndreiChekov wrote:
TheFlatline wrote: just so you know who I'm talking to
that is so complicated that I can't even follow it.
A guy who makes a phantom quote "just so you know who I'm talking to" instead of... I dunno, saying "Flatline: " is lecturing me about being overly complicated?

Here. I'll put this in simpler terms. You have wounds. Determined however. You have a hit point pool. Determined however. You are not actually taking damage until your hit point pool is reduced to zero and you take wound damage.

After 1 turn where you don't take damage you gain back +5 hit points or whatever per turn to your hit point pool. This resets if you take damage.

It's a slightly modified system that literally has been around like 15 years.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

TheFlatline wrote:
A guy who makes a phantom quote "just so you know who I'm talking to" instead of... I dunno, saying "Flatline: " is lecturing me about being overly complicated?

Here. I'll put this in simpler terms. You have wounds. Determined however. You have a hit point pool. Determined however. You are not actually taking damage until your hit point pool is reduced to zero and you take wound damage.

After 1 turn where you don't take damage you gain back +5 hit points or whatever per turn to your hit point pool. This resets if you take damage.

that makes sense, but I've never met aplayer who would be willing to follow that.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Dogbert wrote:
AndreiChekov wrote:I have never seen the need for the two different classes. Sorcerer is for newbs. If you have one, the DM should be able to tell them what spells are usually worthwhile, or it could just be in the game text.
I'm not against eliminating Sorcerers and Wilders from game. People wanting to go for the "innate power" thing can still go for the Psion.
I think that this is beyond the scope of this thread.

Sorcerers are just a wizard that doesn't have the time to pick good spells. Why are they different classes. You can flavour wizard as vanilla ice, or as some guy who is too badass toooleeearn
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

The wounds vitality system isn't that weird. It's creates two pools of hp, one representing the sword swings that just nick you and one representing the ones that actually hack into you. Once your first pool empties you are tired and fatigued and can't dodge well anymore and any further attacks hit you hard. It's a decent system for games with guns particularly
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

AndreiChekov wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

that makes sense, but I've never met aplayer who would be willing to follow that.
I've offered absolutely nothing that hasn't been published by WOTC themselves.

The wounds/shields thing is actually from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars ... the_Coast)

and as I said is *14 years* old. Lots of people used it.

The regenerating thing is fast healing from D20 SRD.

I simply applied fast healing to your vitality pool. How the fuck is that too complicated? Especially compared to your original suggestion.

So which part is the part that no player you know would ever touch? The pool of hit points or fast healing?

I mean. Neither option sounds compelling. The idea of a pool of hit points is... well... part of D20. And the fast healing thing... fuck you're saying that players are totes willing to *subtract* hit point damage from their totals every round or even multiple points a round but *adding* points back on when they don't get damaged is too much to ask?
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

TheFlatline wrote:
I've offered absolutely nothing that hasn't been published by WOTC themselves.

The wounds/shields thing is actually from here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars ... the_Coast)

and as I said is *14 years* old. Lots of people used it.

The regenerating thing is fast healing from D20 SRD.

I simply applied fast healing to your vitality pool. How the fuck is that too complicated? Especially compared to your original suggestion.

So which part is the part that no player you know would ever touch? The pool of hit points or fast healing?

I mean. Neither option sounds compelling. The idea of a pool of hit points is... well... part of D20. And the fast healing thing... fuck you're saying that players are totes willing to *subtract* hit point damage from their totals every round or even multiple points a round but *adding* points back on when they don't get damaged is too much to ask?
It means, yet another thing to keep track of. Which is fine and dandy as a feat or a specific class, but making it a part of every class is just cruel. All of the ideas you have said have been said in a way of "system overhaul" which is not at all what I am looking for.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

The idea of two types of hit points -- one which recovers quickly and one which recovers slowly -- actually dates back to Champions, at least. That would be all the way back in 1981.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Sooo... the OP is requesting FPS style shields, specifically Halo & Mass Effect. However, when being presented with precisely that, apparently the objection is that keeping track of hit points is hard. Especially when you have to *add* (which I guess means that players groan when their character gets healed).

So. Just getting this straight. The requirements are an FPS style "shield" that recharges during a lull in the fight (and specific to Halo and Mass Effect are the concepts that charging shields takes *time*, and that getting shot during your shield charge stops the effect and resets the timer, but I think that's not what the OP is wanting), but it has to involve no math, no counting (which rules out the OP's "solution"), and involves not keeping track of anything more, but doesn't modify the system in any real way.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Design character sheets with a series of circles going down the side. Fill in The top [level/2] of them. Put a paperclip over the top filled in bubble. Each time you would be hit and the paperclip is over a filled-in bubble, ignore that and move the paperclip to the next lower bubble. Else take damage and resolve attacks normally.
Move the paperclip up 1 bubble/minute of rest.
Last edited by fectin on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

TheFlatline wrote:Sooo... the OP is requesting FPS style shields, specifically Halo & Mass Effect. However, when being presented with precisely that, apparently the objection is that keeping track of hit points is hard. Especially when you have to *add* (which I guess means that players groan when their character gets healed).

So. Just getting this straight. The requirements are an FPS style "shield" that recharges during a lull in the fight (and specific to Halo and Mass Effect are the concepts that charging shields takes *time*, and that getting shot during your shield charge stops the effect and resets the timer, but I think that's not what the OP is wanting), but it has to involve no math, no counting (which rules out the OP's "solution"), and involves not keeping track of anything more, but doesn't modify the system in any real way.
Mostly, I'm interested in a mechanic for one or two classes, not an entire game style. So, basically a way to say that I heal between battles with an ability, so that it is less likely to be messed up by a jerkish MC.

Originally, I did want the FPS shield, but after thinking about how complicated it would be, I no longer want it.
fectin wrote:Design character sheets with a series of circles going down the side. Fill in The top [level/2] of them. Put a paperclip over the top filled in bubble. Each time you would be hit and the paperclip is over a filled-in bubble, ignore that and move the paperclip to the next lower bubble. Else take damage and resolve attacks normally.
Move the paperclip up 1 bubble/minute of rest.
What system is that from?
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

It's physically similar to the Danger Patrol! health track, but otherwise is just a quick and dirty original implementation of shields which involves no math.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.