What kind of creature does this look like to you?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

What kind of creature does this look like to you?

Post by shadzar »

Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Goblins?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I would say some feral-ish variety of goblin.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

A troupe of orcish midgets.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

It's meant to be 5e goblins. It's clearly a small humanoid, or arguably fey.

What kind of creature does it look like to you, Shadzar? Do you have some sort of problem with it?
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

I prefer that more fairytalesque goblin to the GW-ified greenskinned tinkerer or maniac that populates pathfinder or a dozen other games.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I like tinker maniac goblins, I just hate when goblins are made nothing more than stupid, incompetent schmucks. You know, like 90% of Magic the Gathering.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

The scene as a whole is pretty clearly inspired by Peter Jackson's Hobbit movies. They pretty much have to be goblins in context.

Not that I mind this look. I could imagine these guys riding wolves which isn't the case for every version of goblins I've seen.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Prak_Anima wrote:I like tinker maniac goblins, I just hate when goblins are made nothing more than stupid, incompetent schmucks. You know, like 90% of Magic the Gathering.
Goblins being "stupid incompetent schmucks" is tradition! It dates back over half a century!
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

I cannot stand PF goblins. They're just a vehicle for lowbrow humor.

I kinda like MTG's route of creating new goblin subraces for each block.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

These actually look like scary raider goblins rather than TiaC's "vehicle for lowbrow humour" comedy goblins. This is the sort of goblin who, if you got asked to save a farmer's daughter from them, you would actually consider a real threat to them.

I like this.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Laertes wrote:These actually look like scary raider goblins rather than TiaC's "vehicle for lowbrow humour" comedy goblins. This is the sort of goblin who, if you got asked to save a farmer's daughter from them, you would actually consider a real threat to them.

I like this.
I didn't mean to imply that these were a "vehicle for lowbrow humor". In fact, I also quite like them. It's these bastards I can't stand.
Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

TiaC: I got what you meant, and I agree. The goblins depicted above are nothing like the goblins you depicted, and this is a good thing.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Apparently the goblin TiaC linked is an adventurer, being weighed down by all the loot he stole (and is trying to simultaneously equip).
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Basically, we're looking at Peter Jackson goblins. I'm basically fine with that, although it's a bit on the "evil races are evil" for modern thought. It's not incompatible with Goblins as a player character race, but it's a step in that direction.

The picture itself is mostly decent enough. The center Goblin with his sword pointing down has something badly wrong with his head. Other than that, I think I'd like them to have heads that were a bit smaller so they looked less like midget wrestlers. But these guys do look like they are about to shout "Rakanishu!" and run at the heroes at high speed. Which is better than a lot of Goblin offerings we've gotten over the years.

-Username17
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

My first thought was 'they could be Hobgoblins'
Without some obvious scale (although they give me a short and bulky vibe) they could be anything from Small to Large - any of a lot of different monster races. depending on art style.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

I'm going to say they're about five or six bananas tall actually.
Last edited by darkmaster on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

to me they look like a cross between hobbits and gremlins. i just cant figure out what is going on with the elongated heads.

i think this is what the chestburster coming out of John Hurt in Spaceballs turned into, but do they sing Michigan Rag?

something just seems off about them.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

They have elongated and rounded noses, somewhere between a Neanderthal and a sheep. They also have slanty eyes and nostrils.

To me, it looks like they've been deliberately but into the uncanny valley, so they will look disturbingly inhuman, and slightly animalistic.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I'm a fan of FFXI's goblins, they're merchants and smiths that trade between beastmen, though that's been disrupted by the recent war. They have a nice aesthetic to them with cute porportions but realistic detail to what they wear. They always cover their face with masks.

and a deep dwelling goblin settlement uses genetic engineering to create 'bugbears', which are goblin giants with two brains and four eyes used for manual labor, the two brains let them multitask like two cranes on an assembly line.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

fectin wrote:They have elongated and rounded noses, somewhere between a Neanderthal and a sheep. They also have slanty eyes and nostrils.

To me, it looks like they've been deliberately but [put] into the uncanny valley, so they will look disturbingly inhuman, and slightly animalistic.
the buzz elsewhere is getting aways from lanky green because Pathfinder uses it extensively.... not that you know D&D didnt start out with similar. so basically an effort to branding a D&D Goblin(TM).
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

AD&D Monster Manual wrote:Goblins range from yellow through dull orange to brick red in skin color. Their eyes are reddish to lemon yellow.
2nd edition AD&D Monster Manual wrote:Goblins have flat faces, broad noses, pointed ears, wide mouths and small, sharp fangs. Their foreheads slope back, and their eyes are usually dull and glazed. They always walk upright, but their arms hang down almost to their knees. Their skin colors range from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red.
3rd edition D&D wrote:A goblin stands 3 to 3½ feet tall and weigh 40 to 45 pounds. Its eyes are usually dull and glazed, varying in color from red to yellow. A goblin’s skin color ranges from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red; usually all members of a single tribe are about the same color.
The whole idea of Green Goblins is from Marvel Comics in 1964. But it entered table top RPGs through Warhammer and World of Warcraft. The D&D Goblin is and always has been on a spectrum from yellow to red (Blues being an obvious exception).

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Well, there is a 1935 book about Green Goblins, but those are more like elves who wear green, they don't have green skin.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

My image of goblins have been permanently fixed by Goblin Market, which is them of vaguely sinister tiny furries with a blatantly obvious sex and sexual assault metaphor.

... don't judge me. :hatin:
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

shadzar wrote:to me they look like a cross between hobbits and gremlins. i just cant figure out what is going on with the elongated heads.

i think this is what the chestburster coming out of John Hurt in Spaceballs turned into, but do they sing Michigan Rag?

something just seems off about them.
Honestly, I'm not sure "Hobbit+Gremlin" is a bad way to approach goblin design. I mean... The only differences between gremlin and goblins was the somewhat artificial nature of gremlins and the fact that they were more forces of destruction than rational actors (Brainy Gremlin not withstanding).
...also it now occurs to me to wonder how gremlins reproduce... do they have well-hidden cloaca, or do mogwais lose their genitals in their metamorphosis?

er, I digress.

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I kind of identify with the maligned, savage but tinkering, world-against-them little buggers, and that I am usually sympathetic to them, but when I draw a goblin, it tends to look like something in this group:
Yes, this is basically goblin Tyler Durden, it's from a Dragon article

this one obviously has a lot more going on than just being a goblin...
So, basically, short, less fragile, green elves, I guess, with ridiculously long ears. The top one is the most recent, and has been drawn since I've kind of subconciously decided that goblins are primarily marked by the exaggerated proportions of their extremities, influenced by WoW just as much as drawings of goblins by a guy with a foot fetish who does a lot of fantasy and softcore art whose best known character is a goblin.

Edit: a drawing from the artist in question:
drawing by Welderface
I also did a pair of drawings kind of experimenting with the idea that goblins evolved from rat-like rodents:
(spoilered for size and anatomical bits)
I'm honestly still not entirely sure what I think of this idea.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.