Blades in the Dark

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Blades in the Dark

Post by silva »

John Harper's project was just funded. Almost 4000 backers reaching around 180k. The idea sounds neat, and the rules look reminiscent of Apocalyse World, which as anyone knows is big plus for me.

Anyone saw this ? Thoughts ?
Last edited by silva on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

Bad choice of words
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I'm surprised that Arkane Studios hasn't sued yet and gotten the production shut down. It reads so close to the setting of Dishonored that at first I thought they had licensed it.

Which they haven't. But of course it's a social dystopia industrial fantasy where the rich aristocrats fund their society on maritime "whale" hunting (here called leviathans) that is strongly hinted that is more damaging than beneficial. They even call the city Duskwall instead of Dunwall.

Though instead of playing Corvo, you play Doud.

Edit: Holy shit this is a complete plagiarism. I'd call it a palate swap but it doesn't look like it even raises up to that level. One of the stretch goals is literally to have a scenario where you play a gang of assassins bent on assassinating the emperor.

The only "originality" that I see so far is that they haven't invoked The Outsider, and instead of a plague the city is haunted.
Last edited by TheFlatline on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Wow, I hadn't read the whole thing and now that Flatline described it I'm totally sold. Playing criminal syndicates on Diahonored world is liquid awesome.

If anyone know how to enter the Kickstarter late lemm know
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

silva wrote:Wow, I hadn't read the whole thing and now that Flatline described it I'm totally sold. Playing criminal syndicates on Diahonored world is liquid awesome.

At first I thought that I would have nothing to say, and this post would be purely pointless grandstanding about the rules, but then I read the thread, and I also get to make a insult-joke.

Only Silva would respond to blatant plagiarism/copyright theft being used to make money for the thief with "oh wow, the fact that they are literally stealing their material, and have nothing good to offer of their own makes me want to give them more of my money, even despite the fact this may never show up because it is blatantly illegal."

Also I assert that the rule regarding people keeping out of threads requires that you put their name there, and that is good for several reasons

2) It gives you a limit on the amount of people to exclude based on characters. A limit is good, because no limit could get abusive.

3) It requires you to definitely notice specific individuals, which is good for two reasons, first that there is no ambiguity (who could possibly be sure on this forum that they aren't part of the "anti-silva crowd" besides silva, even the people who like *world think you are a horrible person and a troll), and additionally, it requires you to have a specific reason to want to exclude people, instead of just declaring that you are excluding everyone you don't like at the beginning of every thread. Yes, technically by the letter of the rule, you could start a thread tomorrow and put my name in the title, but implicitly by invoking my actual name, you would be forced to commit to a claim that my presence would damage the thread in some significant way (IE, talking about a specific kind of diplomacy mechanic around pl) and then people could judge that as false, and think you are a whiny baby.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

I faceplamed when I read "Plagerized? HOW DO I GET IN ON THIS?" essentially.

That being said, I did love Dishonored's setting and would love to play... something I'm not sure what in a properly licensed setting.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Well we'll find out. I emailed Bethesda & Arkane and let them know they might want a lawyer to look the page over. If it gets to publication then they decided not to litigate.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

silva wrote:Wow, I hadn't read the whole thing and now that Flatline described it I'm totally sold. Playing criminal syndicates on Diahonored world is liquid awesome.

Silva you need your own editor. I am gonna admit though, I laughed out loud when I read it.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Does it also have spirits haunting the city ? If so, it looks like Ghost Lines, a game from the same author that my group had the opportunity to play, and always wanted a better exposition.

Also, Bloodborne for PS4. We are on a steampunk wave, it seems.

Edit: McGuy, Is was fast typing so... Yeah. :mrgreen:
Last edited by silva on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

silva wrote:Also, Bloodborne for PS4. We are on a steampunk wave, it seems.
Bloodborne is literally as far from steampunk as you can possibly get, since it lacks both steam and punk. Try colonialgoth.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

silva wrote:
Also, Bloodborne for PS4. We are on a steampunk wave, it seems.
You don't know what steampunk is do you?
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Steampunk, Gothic-industrial, Victorian, Whatever. You got what I meant.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

silva wrote:Steampunk, Gothic-industrial, Victorian, Whatever. You got what I meant.
No, I got that you meant steampunk, and you were completely wrong, and I also know what Bloodborne is.

Bloodborne isn't gothic-industrial. It isn't industrial, and it isn't gothic. It is goth, which is that thing where people thought gothic architexture looked scaryish, and then invented an entire subculture around how they think that should go. colonialgoth has the goth second to indicate that the goth is like punk, in that it refers to a recent cultural affection that wasn't around at the time of the first word, which is colonial, because it is basically set in 1720, when steam engines might theoretically exist, but literally all contraptions run on weight and catches and physical labour, and all the people of this quaint little town have no fucking idea what a steam engine even is.

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This thread is amazing.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Thanks silva, I needed a laugh today.
Last edited by RelentlessImp on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Youre welcome. :thumb:
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Just to be clear, I was laughing at you, silva.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Well, what can I say. Youre welcome too ? :tongue:

Edit:

Ok, basic mechanics, direct from the author:
John Harper wrote:The core action mechanic uses pools of d6s, based on your character's rating in the action you're performing (So if you're prowling across the rooftops to sneak into the museum, you'd roll 1d for each dot you have in Prowl).

You can get bonus dice from various sources, too (a teammate who's helping you, your character's background knowledge, etc.).

The outcome of the roll depends on the character's position. If you're in a controlled position for your action, most of the dice results are good (or at least not harmful). If you're in a risky position for your action, some of the outcomes are good, some are bad. If you're in a desperate position for your action, most of the outcomes are bad.
Last edited by silva on Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

So it seems the setting is, indeed, an expansion of Ghost Lines. Reading the KS page more, it seems the corebook will contain full pre-created modules to tailor the default game for aditional aspects of the setting:

● Play the cops and lawgivers: Bluecoats of the Watch
● Play rail jacks wearing metal steampunk armor, and walking magnetically grappled on the trains, guarding them from ghosts: Ghost Lines
● Go aboard whaling ships, hunting the giant demons that swim the Never Sea for their blood that fuels most things in the cities in: Leviathan Song
● Play rebels seeking to dethrone the Immortal Emperor and heal the broken world in: Broken Crown

So it means you can play not only Dishonored out of the box, bu Sunless Sea / Fallen London too.

Boy, Im salivating for this game.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

*throws silva a bottle of lotion*

Just make sure you close the door first.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Whisper's special abilities wrote:Channel: Use electroplasmic energy to produce supernatural effects. Costs stress equal to the magnitude of the effect (0-4).
That's all the explanation there is. Is telekinesis a supernatural effect? Fireball? Walking through walls? Psychic storm that rips out the souls from everyone in the city? It's a mystery. Potential Whisper's allies include: a rogue spirit, a vampire, a demon, a witch, and a spirit trafficker. Is a witch different from a whisper? What the hell is a rogue spirit? Do "spirit traffickers" smuggle souls into Hell like it's Fallen London? There is no explanation. Potential Whisper equipment inclueds "Ghost Key" used to open "Ghost Doors". What's a Ghost Door? Why would I open it?
Whisper Items wrote:Demon blood vials: A small set of tough crystalline vials, containing blood from demons.
No shit, Sherlock.

I find Quickstart to be lacking in the explanation of the setting, and advancement options for the crew. Hopefuly those things will be present in the game proper.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Also I assert that the rule regarding people keeping out of threads requires that you put their name there
[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
That is correct.
[/TGFBS]
erik
King

Post by erik »

DSMatticus wrote:This thread is amazing.
I know, right?

Plagiarism as a selling point was delicious. Probably him just being a troll, but I laughed.

I try as a matter of principle to not even click on a silva-thread anymore since I think he masturbates based upon how many views he gets for tricking people into interacting with him and of the selfish desire that he go plague one of the other forums he trolls if we don't pay him enough attention. But! I saw the [no posting] title-thread bit, thought "How da fuck is that supposed to work?" in combination with noticing fbmf as the last poster, so came to be educated on that.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

erik wrote:But! I saw the [no posting] title-thread bit, thought "How da fuck is that supposed to work?" in combination with noticing fbmf as the last poster, so came to be educated on that.
"Get off" can also mean 'to be sexually gratified', so you could interpret the title of this thread as "the thread for anti-silva crowd getting off", which actually describes the content well.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Yes and he used "reach around" in his first post. Double entendre to get people to pay attention to his troll threads, I suppose; which honestly is an improvement.