Has there ever been a good anime RPG?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

spongeknight
Master

Has there ever been a good anime RPG?

Post by spongeknight »

If there has, please tell me what it is and why it's good.

If there is no good anime RPG, why do the ones currently out fail and what sort of things do you think is necessary to create a good anime game? Also, if "anime" is too broad of a concept for a single game, we can reduce the question to "what would be necessary for a good shounen-style anime game?"
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I think Maid RPG is a successful "anime" RPG, if you don't mind the concept of basically being a harem anime. The mechanics work alright, work well with the conceptual space they're provided, and don't try to sell it as anything other than it is. That said it's not really suited for long-term games, as the end goal is to sacrifice your fellow maids to win Master's love, so you could consider it a failure on that point, depending on your yardstick.
Longes
Prince

Re: Has there ever been a good anime RPG?

Post by Longes »

spongeknight wrote:If there has, please tell me what it is and why it's good.

If there is no good anime RPG, why do the ones currently out fail and what sort of things do you think is necessary to create a good anime game? Also, if "anime" is too broad of a concept for a single game, we can reduce the question to "what would be necessary for a good shounen-style anime game?"
Maid RPG. It's a random-fueled MTP where everyone's an anime maid, and GM is your goshujin-sama. It's does a decent job of emulating a harem show one-shot, because no one takes it seriously from the start, and the entire game is basically MTP. You can still win or lose chargen (one PC is a childhood friend who's good at cooking, the other is a robot-necromancer), but no one's going to play it multiple times in a row.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Longes wrote:

Maid RPG. It's a random-fueled MTP where everyone's an anime maid, and GM is your goshujin-sama. It's does a decent job of emulating a harem show one-shot, because no one takes it seriously from the start, and the entire game is basically MTP. You can still win or lose chargen (one PC is a childhood friend who's good at cooking, the other is a robot-necromancer), but no one's going to play it multiple times in a row.
Er... if the entire game is MTP, then it's not a game. By definition it's just magical tea party with some charts to generate things.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

If FATE is a game, then Maid RPG is a game. If you don't consider FATE one, then Maid isn't. They have about an equal amount of mechanics.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Here is a list of ones I know of, but I haven't played them so I don't know how good they are:

Mekton Zeta
Fuzion
Sword World
Maid
Panty Explosion
OVA
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I played Maid as a one-shot a couple years back, and can barely remember the mechanics. Everyone has a bunch of stats that range from 0-4(but IIRC at least one unless they take a negative modifier somehow), and actions are resolved by rolling 1D6 and multiplying it by whichever stat you can argue into being relevant, with a mildly difficult thing being difficulty 4. So courtesy of an online generator, I got a stoic raven shapeshifter with pointy ears who was really good at complex stuff and trickery and wielded a spiked chain and proceeded to spend the rest of the game as one of the small number of characters who mostly avoided harem-comedy shenanigans with the ten-year-old amnesiac archwizard with a drinking problem to fulfill the true purpose of the Astro-Criminology department trip to a museum (we had been watching Moretsu Pirates in the club).

Anyways, the default character generation tables do just toss out that kind of madness without intervention, and the mechanical system is acceptable for screwball comedy. Yes, characters can have numerical ranges of 1-6 or 4-24, but everyone is almost guaranteed to have a four in something, and the system means highly competent people do not fail on basic tasks.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Okay, so Maid is a good game for a comedy one-shot. That seems to be accepted. Are there any games that function for full campaigns with rules you actually care about?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Champions isn't specifically anime, but it works pretty well for shounen-style fighty-drama and you can run actual campaigns with it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

FATE, characters are driven by their ideals and beliefs, very shonen
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

In Nomine had a booklet for turning the Heaven vs Hell setting into an anime style setting.

It actually was pretty good. It built on a fairly solid game to begin with and intentionally added anime tropes and twists to the demons and angels.

If memory serves you got a bonus to hit someone if you shouted their name really loud when you attacked. It was so blatantly Akira that it was kind of awesome. It also covered turning In Nomine into a mecha war anime setting which to be honest kind of is a kickass idea.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

There's a mutants and masterminds sourcebook called Mecha and Manga
No idea what it's like though.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

3E D&D is pretty good for running some animes.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

BESM?
Big Eyes Small Mouth
Or the recently reviewed Toyko Tank Police RPG?
The probability of there being a GURPS: Anime somewhere is pretty high as well . .

Hell, you could argue for shadowrun to be an anime RPG what with the cyberpunk/fantasy mix and surge giving you natural cat girls . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

ishy wrote:3E D&D is pretty good for running some animes.
Sure if you do Slayers
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Stahlseele wrote:The probability of there being a GURPS: Anime somewhere is pretty high as well . .
It's GURPS Mecha specifically, although it does include material for some less specific anime tropes.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

sigma999 wrote:
ishy wrote:3E D&D is pretty good for running some animes.
Sure if you do Slayers
I own that book: Slayer d20.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Koumei made one, and it works.
I have done serious math and shit on this and played it with people, and it works. There are only a couple moments when it breaks, and that is because it can't handle blood bullets from Kyoukai no Kanata, not because the system is bad. It is very simple, and it handles anime like a bitch in heat handles sex.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

3e D&D is pretty anime, but it doesn't have throwing people through walls, and does not offer an option for leveling up halfway through a battle.
Negative Zero
NPC

Post by Negative Zero »

I don't know its rules well enough to know if it's broken or not, but I remember some fairly cool mechanics in Tenra Bansho Zero, which is pretty goddamn anime.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Negative Zero wrote:I don't know its rules well enough to know if it's broken or not, but I remember some fairly cool mechanics in Tenra Bansho Zero, which is pretty goddamn anime.
Want to try it out, love the artwork in it. The main criticism I've heard of it is it uses dice pools with variable TN's which makes calculating the odds for something get confusing.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Foxwarrior wrote:and does not offer an option for leveling up halfway through a battle.
I was thinking about that one time. If you wanted a shonen-anime-style resource mechanism, it might look something like:

* Characters have a level of skill / ability, but they also have a number of stages.
* At any time during a fight, you can go "up a stage", which will completely refill your HP, remove negative conditions, and give you large bonuses / better abilities. This might be a physical change, or it could be something like having a flashback and finding renewed determination.
* The amount of the bonuses depends on what round of combat you used it on. Someone who goes up a stage on round 5 has better bonuses than someone who does it on round 2.
* The bonuses for going up a stage are considerable; higher skill might, with luck, let you hold your ground against someone who's a stage higher, but not someone two stages higher.

So the to victory is mainly:
1) Having more stages than your opponent. Or ...
2) Having better skill/tactics and forcing your opponent to use up their stages before you use yours.

That seems like it would match how fights in that style tend to go.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nihnoz
NPC

Post by Nihnoz »

Tenra Bansho Zero is the most anime game I've ever seen and quite good in actual play too. It can't support more than 1-3 sessions depending on how long you play but that's a feature, really, because it makes character advancement blazing fast.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Leress wrote: I own that book: Slayer d20.
I've skimmed it. Didn't like it. They did some weird stuff with the magic system.