Witcher RPG announced

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Longes wrote: Witchers can use Signs because they all have minor magic abilities as a result of their magically-induced mutations. Geralt is just better than everyone else because he already had magical abilities, and at one point is offered to go and become a full mage.
Is that from the games? I recall book Geralt being explicitly worse at magic than other witchers. Can't use it at all without the medallion. I mean sure, game Geralt has massively more magic than book Geralt, but this making into the plot is surprising.
karpik777
1st Level

Post by karpik777 »

schpeelah wrote:Is that from the games? I recall book Geralt being explicitly worse at magic than other witchers. Can't use it at all without the medallion. I mean sure, game Geralt has massively more magic than book Geralt, but this making into the plot is surprising.
It's been a while since I've read the books, but I can't remember Geralt being said to be unable to use magic without his medallion. I recall however Vilgefortz said Geralt could become a mage - possibly due to the fact his mother was a sorceress.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

karpik777 wrote: It's been a while since I've read the books, but I can't remember Geralt being said to be unable to use magic without his medallion. I recall however Vilgefortz said Geralt could become a mage - possibly due to the fact his mother was a sorceress.
He was unable to use Signs after his medallion was destroyed in the last book, and commented he was never very good and most other withchers would have been able to continue casting in that situation, just weaker. The end of the saga is rather big on humiliating Geralt between the medallion, the main villain whooping his ass in straight melee despite being a wizard, and the super swordsman who slaughters the party.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I don't believe that's true. There's this exchange:
The Swallow's Tower wrote:"Grab them," Bear said impatiently. "Take them outside."
"This is a witcher," said one of the bandits from Nightingale's mining protection company uncertainly. "A dangerous type! How can we grab him with our bare hands? He could hit us with some magic or something..."
"Don't worry." Schirru patted his bag with a smile. "He can't do magic without his witcher's amulet, and I have his amulet. Grab him."
But people in the witcherverse have repeatedly been shown to be superstitious and wrong, so that's hardly a proof.
Last edited by Longes on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

The reason Talsorian was given the license was because he has been working with Projeck RED for a while now (see the Cyberpunk 2020 videogame).