Good Quest Outline

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Good Quest Outline

Post by virgil »

Presume you're doing milestone advancement in D&D. What's a good, simple outline for a basic quest (go up one level) you can go Mad Libs on?

Example Adventure Seed: BOSSMOB (Lich, Dragon, Warlord) has acquired MOOKFORCE (storm giant zombies, half-dragon horses, kuo-toa horde in loincloths) and is storming the land. Are you a bad enough dude to save the City/Kingdom/World?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

<MacGuffin Artifact> has fallen into the hands of <Evil Organization> who intend to use it to summon <Level 20 creature> and conquer <political region the PCs care about>.
Koumei wrote:...is the dead guy posthumously at fault for his own death and, due to the felony murder law, his own murderer?
hyzmarca wrote:A palace made out of poop is much more impressive than one made out of gold. Stinkier, but more impressive. One is an ostentatious display of wealth. The other is a miraculous engineering feat.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

PCs have found themselves in <Hostile Location> because they've been <Method of involuntary transportation> there by <Evil Faction> for <Nefarious Purposes> and must find a way to return to their home <Destination> safely.
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

<friendly body> have become aware of a nebulous plot by <unfriendly body>. PCs must investigate, discover <scheme>, <weakness>, and <goal>, and move to <resolve the situation by thwarting or leveraging one or more discoveries>
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

<Race> has discovered a sealed gate when excavating. The gate is covered in runes in an ancient <other race> language. It appears to be sealing in <ancient evil>.

Monsters with <color> skin have <treasures> you want. Kill them and take it.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

These quest outlines are all fucking terrible and you should all be ashamed.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Mord wrote:These quest outlines are all fucking terrible and you should all be ashamed.
I feel my second one is the most honest of the bunch. :p
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

"A [dangerous force] is [taking a shit] on [your local territory]; stop them adventurers"

Is honestly an adventure type that I've seen far too often in larps; and I've always hated it b/c there's no incentive to engage that sort of content instead of letting it move on.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
PrometheanVigil
1st Level

Post by PrometheanVigil »

I pretty much wrote the article on this back in the day.

It's still getting upvotes and hits to this day. I should really do a series like "How to GM like a BAWSE", I keep getting suggested-to to do that.
S.I.T.R.E.P from Black Lion Games -- streamlined roleplaying without all the fluff!
Buy @ DriveThruRPG for only £7.99!
(That's less than a London takeaway -- now isn't that just a cracking deal?)
erik
King

Post by erik »

That's a good post that probably deserves more than 17 people liking it over the course of 4 years, but it doesn't make up for your threadshitting post on the VtM 5e thread.
PrometheanVigil
1st Level

Post by PrometheanVigil »

erik wrote:That's a good post that probably deserves more than 17 people liking it over the course of 4 years
Mocking undertone detected. Majority of those votes were when it was a "hot" question. Regardless, wishy-washy answers that are highly abstract and/or using the same worn-out/dangerous "wisdom" win out majority of the time on RPG.SE (case-in point the highest voted answer). That and gamer/personal politics heavily influence policy on there. So hard answers like mine that attempt to get to the root of the problem posed are ultimately discouraged. And yet, what I've written is what is apparrently genuinely craved. People pay for this kind of thing, yo. And this was written when I knew fuck-all about RPGs compared to today -- now I know even less than I did then but I've got far more success and hard-fought experience under my belt in this arena.
erik wrote: but it doesn't make up for your threadshitting post on the VtM 5e thread.
Fucks given: zero.

Fucks to give: also zero.
S.I.T.R.E.P from Black Lion Games -- streamlined roleplaying without all the fluff!
Buy @ DriveThruRPG for only £7.99!
(That's less than a London takeaway -- now isn't that just a cracking deal?)
erik
King

Post by erik »

PrometheanVigil wrote:
erik wrote:That's a good post that probably deserves more than 17 people liking it over the course of 4 years
Mocking undertone detected.
Hey. Take your compliments where you can. It was a good post. I was mocking that you were so pleased with the mediocre upvotes.
PrometheanVigil wrote: Fucks given: zero.

Fucks to give: also zero.
Your unfuckability isn’t the valuable currency that you seem to think it is.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

erik wrote: Your unfuckability isn’t the valuable currency that you seem to think it is.
Although it is a useful trait to have around here.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

RobbyPants wrote:
erik wrote: Your unfuckability isn’t the valuable currency that you seem to think it is.
Although it is a useful trait to have around here.
"Useful" is understating it. It's required. But that is also what makes it worthless, and what makes him look like a tryhard for trying to brag about it: Because it is required, it is ubiquitous, and therefore unremarkable.
K
King

Post by K »

The ideal quest is one where the objective is clear, but the quest structure is not.

For example, I recently ran a campaign where the PCs were librarians for the church of Oghma. Their first quest involved retrieving some overdue library books from a sorcerer who had a fortress several days from town, a simple fetch quest. This began as a stealth mission when they realized that the fortress had been overrun, then a fortress assault mission when they made some bad rolls, then an investigation mission when they tried to figure out why they only could find 2/3 of the books, then an exploration mission when they found a planar rip in the basement that led to ancient ruins on another world.

The investigation also revealed a map of several locations of interest by the group that overran the fortress, dropping clues for a campaign-long investigation mission.

Nominally, this was a fetch quest. And yet, mapping out this quest structure would not be useful in any sense because the quest structure changed as PCs made choices.
Last edited by K on Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brized
Journeyman

Post by brized »

K wrote:Nominally, this was a fetch quest. And yet, mapping out this quest structure would not be useful in any sense because the quest structure changed as PCs made choices.
Therefore and But Structure comes to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXv2C7vwX0
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Are we still doing these?

The GM watched [action movie] while intoxicated, follow thinly-veiled/half-remembered plot points from the movie because [organization] is paying you to.