Help me with some Card Matching game logistics?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Help me with some Card Matching game logistics?

Post by Prak »

I'm working on a game sort of akin to Snake Oil. In Snake Oil, you pair cards together to pitch weird products to a card judge to solve a hypothetical problem the card judge may have, based on a Customer card they draw.

My game is about making fun of shows like Black Mirror. A person draws and reads a Generic Plot card, then everyone puts together a few Element cards from their hands to create a basic episode synopsis. Once everyone has talked about their episode, people hand out tokens for the episode they found funniest, scariest, most thought provoking, most heartwarming, or most actually thought provoking. Each round you get two of each of these tokens, and must hand out at least five, and you can't put them on your own episode. Then the person with the most tokens gets an Internet token (ie, your episode is the one that was most talked about online, thus winning you the internet). When someone accumulates twenty tokens of one type, they win.

So, the main logistic I need help with are how many Generic Plot cards and how many Element cards there should be in the basic set, and also whether its a good idea to have multiple copies of element cards, since, say, Virtual Reality or Cybernetics come up a lot in Black Mirror.

At the moment, I'm looking at 30 Generic Plot cards, figuring it's reasonable for the game to be done in only a handful of rounds, but that's still enough for the hypothetical game that lasts twenty rounds.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
jt
Knight

Post by jt »

You don't want any duplicate cards - part of the selling point of these games is that the writers did most of the being clever for you. Having two players trying to explain "what if your roomba was your mum" with nothing but their own creativity to distinguish them breaks that promise. So break that "virtual reality" up into "virtual reality arcades" and "virtual reality jobs" or by different kinds of VR hardware or something.

You only "need" enough cards to support a full game (with too many players). But that'll tank the replayability. You should probably at least double that. Cards Against Humanity kicked this genre off in its current form and set the expectation of a ridiculous number of cards.
Pedantic
Journeyman

Post by Pedantic »

jt wrote:You don't want any duplicate cards - part of the selling point of these games is that the writers did most of the being clever for you.
This is not a given premise. Funemployed uses the call and response system but lives and dies on player creativity.