Celestial Armor Redux - a question for Frank

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Zherog
Knight-Baron

Celestial Armor Redux - a question for Frank

Post by Zherog »

On a thread over on Nifty, Frank and Maj had a discussion a while back about the suckiness of the monk. A side conversation was Celestial Armor, and how it could be made into full plate (or any other type).

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1038957823[/unixtime]]
Maj wrote:Celestial Fullplate is not a standard item in the DMG, either... It's celestial armor (chainmail +1).

But we won't go there...

Actually, you just did. When the Sage (Skip Williams) was asked if a Nine-Lives Stealer (DMG page 189) could be made as a battle axe - he said yes.

It has been clarified that specific items that were not specifically labeled in their title as a specific type of weapon or armor could be made as a different type of weapon or armor. Celestial armor is not called celestial chainmail - it's just armor. The most restrictive we could possibly be with it is to limit it to just medium armor.

Would anybody happen to be able to point me to where Skippy said that? It would be most useful to have that quote in a discussion I'm having elsewhere.

Thanks!
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Re: Celestial Armor Redux - a question for Frank

Post by Zherog »

And I'm going to add another question onto this one.

Is it possible (within the rules - including Skip and Andy rulings in Sage Advice/FAQ) to do things like take a Nine-Lives Stealer and make it +3, or add keen, or add flaming, or -- well, you get the idea.
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Zherog at [unixtime wrote:1100296310[/unixtime]]And I'm going to add another question onto this one.

Is it possible (within the rules - including Skip and Andy rulings in Sage Advice/FAQ) to do things like take a Nine-Lives Stealer and make it +3, or add keen, or add flaming, or -- well, you get the idea.

Same deal as 5x slotless Bracers of armor.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Z wrote:

Absolutely, you pay the difference between the cost of the plus equivalent it has now and the new one. That's right out of the DMG. Page 288 of the 3.5 DMG if you care.

As for the rest, the answer was given in a Sage Advice as I recall. I used to be able to pull those up on a whim because there was a net-archive of all of Skip's rulings. I'd just do a "find text" on the archive and pull up the exact wording - even the bonehead stuff like "monks lose attacks from lanterns" and such. But that archive is no more, or moved or something, and now I can't do that anymore.

This makes me a sad panda, needless to say. Of course, this particular ruling is not especially in doubt, it's been repeated in chats as well as the Tome and Blood item creation rules (pg. 73).

-Username17
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Gracias! :D
You can't fix stupid.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Because I no longer know where to link to get a copy of this answer, I sent in to Custserv to get it again. It's always the same, and here's the last version:

Custserv wrote:A frost brand in the DMG are great swords. But this doesn't mean that
they cannot be made as other swords, or as a sword of a different type
with a different name that does the same thing. For all magic items that
are not covered in the books, just make sure it is okay with your DM, or
if you are the DM, make sure that it fits your campaign and feels
balanced. Keep gaming and have fun.

Trevor
Customer Service Department
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 12:47 PM
To: Wizards Customer Service
Subject: Frost Brands?

Is there any reason that a Frost Brand couldn't be made out of a
Falchion for the appropriate adjustment in cost?

Thanks in advance,

-Username17

-Username17