Building yourself a HQ to attack gods from.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Building yourself a HQ to attack gods from.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

So far, the most likely candidate seems to be the Outer Plane where it goes near vertical towards the spire. That's because the power of the gods themselves don't work there. Then you can see how shittily min-maxxed the characters truly are. However, it limits your ability to cast spells. Like, really does. The only PCs who can really fight from there are Tiger Druids and Cleric Archers.

So. Is there any way that one can avoid the negative effects of this plane in WotC material? If this works, this will be the first reverse teleport ambush, and it will be AWESOME. My mom will finally love me.

(Update: The best I could think of is the Initiate of Mystra feat and using the anti-magic field to avoid the effects of the plane while shooting out your spells. However, I don't have either of the planar books so I can't tell you if this works.)
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: Building yourself a HQ to attack gods from.

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, to fight deities, you need someplace where divine salient abilities do not work - otherwise you face whatever infinite army of simulacra and summoned creatures the deity feels like creating over milennia as soon as the deity gets its first action. (Unless you pick a loser deity who doesn't have Alter Reality)

However, as per D&DG, we don't know of divine salient abilities are (Sp), (Su), (Ex) or something else - so unless the Planar Handbook says something, I have no idea.

Antimagic Field is no help at all, since it has the note that deities and artifacts are unaffected by mortal magic such as this - which in fact means that every deity you meet is going to be walking around in some sort of permenant AMF and happily ignoring it.

Generally, I recommend not fighting deities, as it just reminds you all how bad D&DG is.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

The whole spire thing is more a plot device than an actual mechanic. What gets cancelled or doesn't get cancelled hasn't really been gone through in detail, so it's just one of those DM call things. It's safe to assume that nothing works there though, because gods are really smart and one of them would have thought of it sooner or later if it could be done.

Basically your best bet would probably be luring a god there, then dropping some really heavy object on them. Then have some of that soul sucking metal from the complete warrior on hand to absorb the soul.
Oberoni
Knight

Post by Oberoni »

I love the idea of killing a god Looney-Tunes style.

No, I'm serious.
Boulie_98
Journeyman

Post by Boulie_98 »

It has to weigh exactly 60 tons for maximum funniness.
Alansmithee
Apprentice

Post by Alansmithee »

And be a 3-d trapezoid with the weight clearly marked on it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Those are called "truncated rectangular prisms".

-Username17