Gibberish of the day!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

violence in the media wrote: The only power that matters is the power to control the choice, not the execution. Have you ever been in a situation where someone asked you why you didn't do X, and your response was, "I didn't even think of that?" An option you're unaware of, one that you don't select, and one that doesn't exist are all remarkably similar.
Sure. Which is generally why I say that the biggest opponent to free will isn't God. It's science.

Once you state that there is no more to the world than simply an execution of physical laws, then nobody has free will. Our decision making, like every other process, is a purely physical one that relies on electrical and chemical interactions. It's more complex than the interactions of dropping a rock and predicting its final force of impact, but it's one that ultimately is predictable. And if that's the case, then our choices are just illusions and are nothing more than a supercomputer running a program.

Religion in many cases can get away from that by believing in the existence of a soul, which is also beyond the physical world.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

NativeJovian wrote:Then I don't have free will, and the entire conversation (which stems from the argument that evil exists because God allows humanity free will) is pointless.
No, the entire conversation was about how Evil exists because god choose for their to be evil. Which is the whole point of the argument from evil.
NativeJovian wrote:You can't have a conversation on ethics in the absence of free will. If there's no free will, then nothing I do is my fault, because I didn't have a choice.
Yes, you totally can. Ethics is a discussion of what is "right" and "wrong" What other people have told/convinced us is "right" and "wrong" is one of the many inputs that determine our brains final action.

Discussing Ethics affects people's future actions, so what we determine to be right and wrong influences what people actually do.

You are in fact a robot, with no magical free will, but if a robot starts killing people, it is still the robots fault. And if the programming can't be fixed to not kill people, then the robot will be destroyed.

"Fault" is merely a judgment whether you should be punished for your actions.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

RandomCasualty2 wrote:
violence in the media wrote: The only power that matters is the power to control the choice, not the execution. Have you ever been in a situation where someone asked you why you didn't do X, and your response was, "I didn't even think of that?" An option you're unaware of, one that you don't select, and one that doesn't exist are all remarkably similar.
Sure. Which is generally why I say that the biggest opponent to free will isn't God. It's science.

Once you state that there is no more to the world than simply an execution of physical laws, then nobody has free will. Our decision making, like every other process, is a purely physical one that relies on electrical and chemical interactions. It's more complex than the interactions of dropping a rock and predicting its final force of impact, but it's one that ultimately is predictable. And if that's the case, then our choices are just illusions and are nothing more than a supercomputer running a program.

Religion in many cases can get away from that by believing in the existence of a soul, which is also beyond the physical world.
Ultimately quantum fluctuations imply that everything is random, rather than predetermined, if that matters. There are other interpretations that state that it is predetermined (deterministic quantum mechanics) but they're in the minority.

One could argue that god's collapsing the waveforms if you wanted to get all pseudosciency. :)
Last edited by mean_liar on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

mean_liar wrote:Ultimately quantum fluctuations imply that everything is random, rather than predetermined, if that matters. There are other interpretations that state that it is predetermined (deterministic quantum mechanics) but they're in the minority.

One could argue that god's collapsing the waveforms if you wanted to get all pseudosciency. :)
If you want to argue that the inputs are completely random to an entirely deterministic process, you still have basically no room for free will or choice.

It just means your actions are random instead of deterministic. If flipping a coin wasn't deterministic, flipping a coin to determine your actions wouldn't be a free will, it would be random.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

That depends on your definition of free will. If the definition is "can not precisely predict behavior" randomness amounts to free will. If the definition is "behavior must be caused by something/someone from outside this universe" it does not. But then again, nothing much will.

By requiring that valid choice must not be predictable (= not entirely caused be existing conditions) and additionally requiring it not be caused by randomness you are basically saying choice can not exist at all within our universe and must come from without. I guess that is a valid way to put it, but it is not exactly a useful definition for the purpose of discussing a single universe.
Murtak
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

mean_liar wrote:One could argue that god's collapsing the waveforms if you wanted to get all pseudosciency. :)
Well, the ultimate observer and all...
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Murtak wrote:That depends on your definition of free will. If the definition is "can not precisely predict behavior" randomness amounts to free will. If the definition is "behavior must be caused by something/someone from outside this universe" it does not. But then again, nothing much will.

By requiring that valid choice must not be predictable (= not entirely caused be existing conditions) and additionally requiring it not be caused by randomness you are basically saying choice can not exist at all within our universe and must come from without. I guess that is a valid way to put it, but it is not exactly a useful definition for the purpose of discussing a single universe.
No. Free will is just some made up bullshit about how we choose one thing over another in way that magically makes god not responsible.

If free will were "not predictable" then this would be entirely bullshit, because we would definitionally not have free will regarding a god, since it would know exactly what we were going to do and have 100% prediction.

Free will is the statement that there is some 'you' that makes decisions that are somehow not part of a deterministic process based on inputs at all. We of course know that the brain's operation is entirely deterministic.

Free will is just bullshit for people to claim that given complete knowledge of all inputs and complete knowledge of the current state of every particle in your brain, that your resulting choice is somehow not always going to be the same thing.

It's just a retarded assertion that your brain doesn't follow the actual laws of the universe, because if it did, god would actually be 100% responsible for all actions.

Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

"Free will" is just a label you use. Some people may have a different definition for that term. Really.
Murtak
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Murtak wrote:"Free will" is just a label you use. Some people may have a different definition for that term. Really.
And those people who use free will to mean not predictable definitionally are not the people like Native who are specifically using the existence of free will to give an omniscient god who knows exactly 100% everything you are going to ever do in your entire life for an infinity before you ever existed a free pass.

You don't get to throw away all the context of the entire discussion out the window so you can argue shit that makes no fucking sense.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandomCasualty2
Prince

Free will is honestly hard to define, in general. It really has to be some factor that goes beyond the physical universe in some sense.
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Quantumboost wrote:Moreover, free will doesn't even factor into your examples provided. They're all about intent and actions. Which are potentially measurable qualities and have nothing to do with predestination or free will.
If free will did exist, then, what would prove it? If choice doesn't make free will, and neither does intent, and neither does action, then what does?

But yeah. Morality absolutely requires free will to make sense. If free will doesn't exist, then judging the moral value of anything is pointless, because no one can do anything other than what they are predetermined to do. If a murderer stabbing someone in the brain is not an action determined by free will, then it's no more "evil" than a meteorite falling from the sky and hitting someone in the skull. Neither is under anyone's control; these things just happen and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The whole point of morality is to give actions value and encourage/discourage them as appropriate. If people are not in control of their own actions (as a deterministic worldview insists is the case), then they cannot have any value (the same way that falling off a cliff doesn't), and you can't encourage or discourage anyone from anything anyway, so what's the point?

Of course, if we do lack free will, then we're forced to go through the motions of it as if we did anyway. So insisting that we don't have free will when we have the experience of it constantly seems to me to be the same sort of lunacy as insisting that we're actually in the Matrix and the "reality" we experience is a lie. It may be true in the sense that we can't disprove it, but basing one's life on that assumption and letting that believe color our actions is pretty retarded.
Kaelik wrote:No, the entire conversation was about how Evil exists because god choose for their to be evil. Which is the whole point of the argument from evil.
The argument is that God chooses to allow evil to exist for the sake of a greater good: free will. If free will does not exist (good luck proving that one), then evil can't exist anyway, so what's the point of the whole line of reasoning?
Kaelik wrote:You are in fact a robot, with no magical free will, but if a robot starts killing people, it is still the robots fault.
If the robot can't decide not to kill, then it's not the robot's fault. The robot couldn't help it any more than you can help being affected by the force of gravity. It makes no more sense to call a robot "evil" or "wrong" for killing when it can't help it than it does to call you "evil" or "wrong" for falling back to the ground when you jump into the air.
Kaelik wrote:"Fault" is merely a judgment whether you should be punished for your actions.
If free will doesn't exist, then you are not responsible for your actions (because your actions are not under your control -- they're determined), so placing fault or ascribing punishment to you for things you've done makes no more sense than picking a random unrelated person and blaming/punishing them for what you did. They had no more choice in your actions than you did, if your actions were determined rather than free.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

NativeJovian wrote:If free will doesn't exist, then you are not responsible for your actions (because your actions are not under your control -- they're determined), so placing fault or ascribing punishment to you for things you've done makes no more sense than picking a random unrelated person and blaming/punishing them for what you did. They had no more choice in your actions than you did, if your actions were determined rather than free.
So you are just retarded? You can't see how knowledge of the police coming to arrest me might prevent me from murdering someone?

RandomCasualty2
Prince

Kaelik wrote:You can't see how knowledge of the police coming to arrest me might prevent me from murdering someone?
Yeah, pretty much even if you don't have free will, it's a good idea to have laws that punish bad behavior. Simply because the threat of punishment factors is input into the biological computer, and thus can change things.

Overall, free will is one of those philosophical questions like "How do I know this reality is real and it's not some elaborate computer simulation?" And it basically ends with you just living your life normally without even caring. Whether you have free will or merely the illusion of choice, you couldn't tell the difference anyway and you might as well live life as though you had it.
Last edited by RandomCasualty2 on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

NativeJovian wrote:If free will did exist, then, what would prove it? If choice doesn't make free will, and neither does intent, and neither does action, then what does?
Apparently as you define it? Nothing. The definition for free will you've been using is solely in relation to being able to change future events. Since future events haven't happened, we have no idea whether any actions of ours changed them from what they were "going to be". It's unverifiable and unfalsifiable, and thus junk. It's fundamentally worse than string theory, and frankly barely better than random gibberish.

People exist in time. Moral understanding and analysis also exists in time. The only way future events can be predetermined is if they have already accounted for the existence of morality (such as it is), which means that morality does matter because it affects future events independent of the presence or absence of free will. The only thing free will could reasonably affect is the state of morality of a nontemporal being - not us.

Which is exactly why I am actually perplexed why you're making the ability to have moral discussions wholly contingent on the existence of something which doesn't actually impact morality and isn't verifiable or falsifiable.
Of course, if we do lack free will, then we're forced to go through the motions of it as if we did anyway. So insisting that we don't have free will when we have the experience of it constantly seems to me to be the same sort of lunacy as insisting that we're actually in the Matrix and the "reality" we experience is a lie.
This is a meaningless distinction. Like, actually meaningless. You're just blowing hot air at this point.

Also, I haven't taken a stance on whether or not we have free will. Much as I haven't taken a stance on whether we're in the Matrix; there is no meaningful difference whether we are or not. My stance on this issue is it doesn't matter and thinking otherwise is moronic.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Kaelik wrote:You can't see how knowledge of the police coming to arrest me might prevent me from murdering someone?
Turns out that police coming to arrest people is only slightly more of a deterrent than the death penalty. In other words, most crimes are committed by people who don't think of the consequences past 'being caught'.

-Crissa
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Kaelik wrote:So you are just retarded? You can't see how knowledge of the police coming to arrest me might prevent me from murdering someone?
The fact that you can think "hey, if I get caught I'll go to jail, so I better not" implies choice, and thus free will. If you're determined to kill someone, then you'll kill them. Period. You can't not kill them. That's what "determined" (vs. "free") means. So no, if you're determined, knowledge that the police will arrest you if you kill someone will not deter you from murdering someone, at all, ever.
RandomCasualty2 wrote:Overall, free will is one of those philosophical questions like "How do I know this reality is real and it's not some elaborate computer simulation?" And it basically ends with you just living your life normally without even caring. Whether you have free will or merely the illusion of choice, you couldn't tell the difference anyway and you might as well live life as though you had it.
This is what I was trying to get at in part of my last post. And honestly, if we're all predetermined, and I believe in free will, you can't even blame me for it, because I'm predetermined to believe in free will.
Quantumboost wrote:People exist in time. Moral understanding and analysis also exists in time. The only way future events can be predetermined is if they have already accounted for the existence of morality (such as it is), which means that morality does matter because it affects future events independent of the presence or absence of free will. The only thing free will could reasonably affect is the state of morality of a nontemporal being - not us.
If morality -- our understanding of the world and its consequences and "right" vs "wrong" and all that -- can affect future actions (or, as you put it, "future events already account for morality"), then we have free will, because we can decide to act differently based on the moral implications of our actions. I can decide not to steal because stealing is wrong. That's free will.
Quantumboost wrote:Which is exactly why I am actually perplexed why you're making the ability to have moral discussions wholly contingent on the existence of something which doesn't actually impact morality and isn't verifiable or falsifiable.
I'm not talking about moral discussions, I'm talking about moral actions. An action can only be moral or immoral if it's freely undertaken. If you have no choice about it, then you can't be praised or blamed for it. Not legitimately, anyway. If our actions are predetermined, then we have no choice about them. We can't not do them. Thus, no morality.

We can talk about morality all we like (obviously; it's what we're doing right now), regardless of whether or not our actions are predetermined. But if they are, then neither of us has ever done anything we were morally responsible for, because we had no choice in anything we've done.
Quantumboost wrote:Also, I haven't taken a stance on whether or not we have free will. Much as I haven't taken a stance on whether we're in the Matrix; there is no meaningful difference whether we are or not. My stance on this issue is it doesn't matter and thinking otherwise is moronic.
That much is true in as much as how it affects our actual lives (which is exactly what I was saying with the Matrix comparison, which you dismissed as meaningless), but that doesn't change the fact that if we actually are predetermined (which we can't know if we are or not), then we cannot be considered in a moral light (because there was no choice, and thus no morality).

The fact that we will never know whether or not we're determined or free doesn't change the fact that morality only exists if we are free. If we're actually determined, then choice (and thus morality) is only an illusion. This won't change our behavior (if we're determined, nothing can change our behavior), and we'll continue to live as though we were free and our choices had moral weight. Despite the fact that neither the choices nor the moral weight actually exist.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

NativeJovian wrote:
Kaelik wrote:So you are just retarded? You can't see how knowledge of the police coming to arrest me might prevent me from murdering someone?
The fact that you can think "hey, if I get caught I'll go to jail, so I better not" implies choice, and thus free will. If you're determined to kill someone, then you'll kill them. Period. You can't not kill them. That's what "determined" (vs. "free") means. So no, if you're determined, knowledge that the police will arrest you if you kill someone will not deter you from murdering someone, at all, ever.
1) So you are just retarded. Okay.

2) Deterministic != Determined.

Iff X, then Y.
X.
Therefore Y.

Is Deterministic.

Iff X, then Y.
~X.
Therefore ~Y.

Is also deterministic.

So X (being punished for your actions) is totally fucking important.

3) "If I get caught, I will go to jail. So I better not kill them." Is in fact not free will. Unless you think my Computer has free will.

I can make a program:

Action=X

If getCaught(X) == "Yes"
Break
Else
perform.Action

def getCaught:

Code: Select all

Seriously. Biological Computer. One of the inputs into biological computer is perceived likelihood of getting caught.

Thus, in an entirely deterministic universe, laws against murder make murder less common than the same universe without those laws.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

NativeJovian wrote:If morality -- our understanding of the world and its consequences and "right" vs "wrong" and all that -- can affect future actions (or, as you put it, "future events already account for morality"), then we have free will, because we can decide to act differently based on the moral implications of our actions. I can decide not to steal because stealing is wrong. That's free will.
Um, what?

That's completely different from how you were using the term "free will" until now. Also, it's a definition of "free will" which trivially exists, because we're having this discussion right now. It's defined as "the ability to choose". As noted before, this means that my laptop has free will.

It also has nothing to do with the discussion whether an omnipotent, omniscient creator being is still fully responsible for your choice, because morality as we understand it is part of the system.
NativeJovian wrote:I'm not talking about moral discussions, I'm talking about moral actions. An action can only be moral or immoral if it's freely undertaken. If you have no choice about it, then you can't be praised or blamed for it. Not legitimately, anyway. If our actions are predetermined, then we have no choice about them. We can't not do them. Thus, no morality.

We can talk about morality all we like (obviously; it's what we're doing right now), regardless of whether or not our actions are predetermined. But if they are, then neither of us has ever done anything we were morally responsible for, because we had no choice in anything we've done.
Uhm. No. That's wholly an artifact of how you're using "morality", and not of how anyone has ever reasonably used morality. All the worthwhile (I'm using this in a definitional sense) moral systems do not care whether there's predestination (a term which I'll be using, rather than using free will, since you're hopelessly confused about the latter).

Utilitarianism depends on your actions and their consequences. Kantian philosophy depends on your intent (which can be derived from looking at your neurons closely enough). Both of these are part of the physical universe and don't care about predestination. The same goes for any moral system where we, as humans, in time, can feasibly assess the morality of an action, within some bounds, at some present or future point in time.

Predestination does not preclude humans from being moral agents unless you're specifically taking an out-of-universe (and out-of-time) perspective, which is utterly worthless for anybody. It's akin to bringing nihilism into the picture - nothing matters, and nothing lasts.

That much is true in as much as how it affects our actual lives (which is exactly what I was saying with the Matrix comparison, which you dismissed as meaningless), but that doesn't change the fact that if we actually are predetermined (which we can't know if we are or not), then we cannot be considered in a moral light (because there was no choice, and thus no morality).
I didn't call the Matrix comparison meaningless, or if I did that was a communication failure on my part. I meant to call the distinction between predestination and no predestination meaningless. Which it is.

And as I've repeatedly been saying, choice doesn't fucking depend on whether future events are predestined. Choice is the ability to make a decision. It's a function of high-complexity systems. Stop conflating choice with non-predetermination.
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Kaelik wrote:Thus, in an entirely deterministic universe, laws against murder make murder less common than the same universe without those laws.
In an entirely deterministic universe, no other universe is possible. Really. If everything follows from the original inputs (be that the Big Bang or God's creation of the universe or whatever), then there can never be any possibility of something happening other than what happened. To talk about different entirely deterministic universes is like talking about a universe where 2 + 2 = 5. In order for two universes to be both different from each other and entirely deterministic, you have to either change the very beginning (big bang/god/whatever) or change the laws of physics. If our universe is entirely deterministic, then to talk about the past as if it could have been different (ie "if there were no laws against murder") is meaningless.
Quantumboost wrote:It also has nothing to do with the discussion whether an omnipotent, omniscient creator being is still fully responsible for your choice, because morality as we understand it is part of the system.
Well, seeing as we can't even agree what "morality" or "free will" means, I have no idea what you actually mean by this statement.
Quantumboost wrote:Uhm. No. That's wholly an artifact of how you're using "morality", and not of how anyone has ever reasonably used morality. All the worthwhile (I'm using this in a definitional sense) moral systems do not care whether there's predestination (a term which I'll be using, rather than using free will, since you're hopelessly confused about the latter).
That's just begging the question. "Proper moral systems don't care about predestination because any moral system that does care about predestination isn't a proper system."
Quantumboost wrote:Utilitarianism depends on your actions and their consequences.
And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Utilitarianism doesn't care about intent, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, utilitarianism cannot judge them.
Quantumboost wrote:Kantian philosophy depends on your intent
And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Kantian philosophy doesn't care about results, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, Kantian philosophy cannot judge them.
Quantumboost wrote:(which can be derived from looking at your neurons closely enough).
Whether you can determine thoughts from the physical state of your brain is an open question. While it's certainly true that the physical state of your brain affects your thoughts, the reverse is also true. For example, releasing serotonin into your brain makes you think happy thoughts, but thinking happy thoughts also releases serotonin into your brain. Serotonin in brain = happy thoughts, but that doesn't imply direct cause and effect. Yes, I realize that this example is oversimplified to the point of inaccuracy. I'm using it to illustrate a point, not teach neuroscience.
Quantumboost wrote:Both of these are part of the physical universe and don't care about predestination.
Except for the fact that neither system holds you responsible for things you have no control over, and in a predetermined universe, you have no control over your actions.
Quantumboost wrote:The same goes for any moral system where we, as humans, in time, can feasibly assess the morality of an action, within some bounds, at some present or future point in time.
What? One of the criticisms of utilitarianism is that you can't feasibly assess the morality of an action. Killing a child would seem to cause more harm than good, but if that child was Adolf Hilter or Joseph Stalin, it would actually cause more good than harm. Of course, we couldn't know that, but that doesn't change the facts. Kantian philosophy has similar issues; we can never really know someone's intent, so we can't feasibly assess the morality of their actions. Neither moral system you use as an example fits the definition of moral systems you like.
Quantumboost wrote:Predestination does not preclude humans from being moral agents unless you're specifically taking an out-of-universe (and out-of-time) perspective, which is utterly worthless for anybody.
I completely and utterly fail to see the leap of logic that leads you to this statement. Utilitarianism condemns those who are responsible for causing harm (regardless of whether they intended to or not). Kantian ethics condemn those who choose to cause harm (whether they successfully accomplish that goal or not). But in a predetermined universe, you're not responsible for your own actions (you couldn't have done otherwise), and you cannot make any choices (there's never any alternative for you to choose).
Quantumboost wrote:I didn't call the Matrix comparison meaningless, or if I did that was a communication failure on my part. I meant to call the distinction between predestination and no predestination meaningless. Which it is.
How so? In a predetermined universe, we have no free will, we cannot choose our actions, and we are no responsible for the things that we do. The fact that we can't tell whether our universe is predetermined or not doesn't change the fact that there's a huge difference between a predetermined universe and a free universe.
Quantumboost wrote:And as I've repeatedly been saying, choice doesn't fucking depend on whether future events are predestined. Choice is the ability to make a decision. It's a function of high-complexity systems. Stop conflating choice with non-predetermination.
Choice is, in short, the ability to do otherwise. In a predetermined universe, you can never do otherwise. You have no choice. You will always do what you were predetermined to do. In a free universe, you could do otherwise. I could decide to drink Pepsi, or I could decide to drink Coke. My will determines which brand of soda I drink, not the mechanical interactions of the material universe.

Selecting a particular action based on a set of input values and a set of rules is not "choice" in the sense of free will. Your laptop can take a set of rules (a program) and some variables (inputs) and come up with an action from them, but that's not a choice because it couldn't have done otherwise. With the same program and the same inputs, the laptop will produce the same action every time. It has no free will. In a predetermined universe, you can take a set of rules (the laws of physics) and some variables (the situation as it relates to whatever you're considering -- which can be the big bang and the entire universe, if you want to go that far), and you will get a result from that. In a deterministic universe, the result from a given situation will be the same every time. You cannot do anything other than what you are predetermined to do.

Now, there's nothing wrong with believing that this is true. You can believe that the universe is predetermined and free will is an illusion and we're all just meat machines with consciousness as a strange byproduct of the electrochemical interactions of our brains. But if you believe that, then you cannot assign moral value to the actions of people, because they are not responsible for their own actions. What they do is merely the interactions of subatomic particles whizzing through the universe that happen to have interesting macro-level effects. A person deciding to give money to charity is no different than a planet revolving around a star -- they're both simply expressions of the laws of physics and the situation that that particular collection of matter and energy finds itself in. There's nothing "good" or "evil" about such interactions -- it simply is.
Last edited by NativeJovian on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

NativeJovian wrote:That's just begging the question. "Proper moral systems don't care about predestination because any moral system that does care about predestination isn't a proper system."
I didn't say proper. I said worthwhile. As in worth my while. And I very explicitly said that that was exactly what I was doing. Seriously, what is your point?
And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Utilitarianism doesn't care about intent, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, utilitarianism cannot judge them.
And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Kantian philosophy doesn't care about results, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, Kantian philosophy cannot judge them.
Okay, "control" and "responsibility" now, along with "choice" and "free will". Both of which I consider perfectly legitimate to in the context of a deterministic system.

I'm pretty sure we have completely irreconcilable differences in terminology now.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

NativeJovian wrote:In an entirely deterministic universe, no other universe is possible. Really. If everything follows from the original inputs (be that the Big Bang or God's creation of the universe or whatever), then there can never be any possibility of something happening other than what happened. To talk about different entirely deterministic universes is like talking about a universe where 2 + 2 = 5. In order for two universes to be both different from each other and entirely deterministic, you have to either change the very beginning (big bang/god/whatever) or change the laws of physics. If our universe is entirely deterministic, then to talk about the past as if it could have been different (ie "if there were no laws against murder") is meaningless.
No. It is not meaningless. Yes, a universe with the exact same inputs and exact same physical laws would produce the exact same result every fucking time. That is a tautology, because there are no magic extra-planar souls attached to people that operate outside the confines of reality but magically change it.

However, discussing a hypothetical universe where the inputs were such that humans never developed a prescription against murder, but in all other ways (laws and other inputs) it was exactly the same, talking about the hypothetical difference demonstrates why the fact that we are the way we are is a function of rules. And such a discussion constitutes an input into the system.
NativeJovian wrote:And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Utilitarianism doesn't care about intent, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, utilitarianism cannot judge them.
WTF do you think "you" means. If you did not exist, then those actions would not occur. Therefore, you are a necessary input to certain outcomes. Removing your input might result in a better outcome, or changing the inputs into you, ect. Thus, it can totally judge those actions that came about because of you, and decide if they are good or not. Just like it can judge the actions of a comet hitting earth and decide if they are good or not.
NativeJovian wrote:And yet it still doesn't judge you over things you have no control over. Kantian philosophy doesn't care about results, but it does care about responsibility. If we are predetermined, we have no control over our actions (we can't do anything other than what we are predetermined to do). If we have no control over an action, then we are not responsible for it. Thus, if our actions are predetermined, Kantian philosophy cannot judge them.
No, it judges based on your intent. And your intent exists completely independent of magic space wills that reside in other universes and work our bodies like puppets. If your brain has specific set up, that we call intent, then it totally does have that intent, regardless of if it has it because your brain is a computer, or because the magic space will puppetted it into that configuration.

You are judged based on your brain configuration, and the outside reflections of said configuration. No need for a magic space puppeteer.
NativeJovian wrote:Whether you can determine thoughts from the physical state of your brain is an open question.
No it's not. Your thoughts are a physical state of your brain. And your rambling about chemicals being influenced by wiring and wiring being influenced by chemicals where you ignore the fact that wiring is also a physical brain state is fucking retarded.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

This is not official gibberish, but yesterday I told one of my classmates he was full of shit.

the reason? He went on a sexist rant for about 15 minutes and I wanted him to STFU.

How bad does it have to be when *I* don't want to hear it?
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Pretty bad, I'd say.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Oh, lots of gibberish here. It's a survey of GOP county leaders given essay questions by this guy.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NativeJovian
Journeyman

Post by NativeJovian »

Quantumboost wrote:I'm pretty sure we have completely irreconcilable differences in terminology now.
Pretty much.
Kaelik wrote:However, discussing a hypothetical universe where the inputs were such that humans never developed a prescription against murder, but in all other ways (laws and other inputs) it was exactly the same, talking about the hypothetical difference demonstrates why the fact that we are the way we are is a function of rules. And such a discussion constitutes an input into the system.
No, it doesn't, because both the laws of our universe and their initial inputs (big bang, God, whatever) are unchangable, and thus the entire system is set in stone. You cannot change anything about what has happened, is happening, or will happen, ever. So what's the point of discussing a hypothetical universe where things are different? The only "input" in this system is the conditions at the beginning of the universe and the laws governing the system. Discussing hypothetical realities isn't an input to the system; it's simply a result of the original inputs.
Kaelik wrote:WTF do you think "you" means.
One's consciousness, their will, the experience of being an independent and free being. If that's merely a deterministic outcome of the initial conditions of the universe and the laws of physics, then it's not a cause of anything, it's merely an effect. If "you" can't cause anything, then "you" can't be responsible for anything. If the universe is deterministic, then we can't even do anything -- we're just along for the ride in a predetermined reality.

You're talking about a deterministic universe as if there are inputs at any given time. There aren't. In a deterministic universe, the only input into the system is the conditions at the beginning of the universe and the laws of physics. Everything besides that -- including your actions and mine -- are inevitable and unavoidable effects of those initial inputs. They are effects, not causes.