General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

shadzar
Prince

I don't want to buy 3rd edition so stop trying to sell it to

Post by shadzar »

me.

Got it?

There is nothing you can do to get me to buy into anything from 3rd. It is a bloated pile of shit with needless amounts of "rules" and lists of things that people are too stupid to think on their own for.

Now you have a thread here about it, so can direct all attempts here and I will not return to this thread. Hopefully it will keep you idiots that keep trying to sell me on 3rd (or 4th) from clogging up other threads with your sales pitches.

Now feel free to discuss why you blindly bought a shitty game because the people that made Magic the Gathering told you to.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

There's already a topic for this:
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50416

No need to repost a topic that's still on the first page.
TOZ
Duke

Re: I don't want to buy 3rd edition so stop trying to sell i

Post by TOZ »

shadzar wrote:Got it?
'Kay.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Re: I don't want to buy 3rd edition so stop trying to sell i

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

I'd post in the other thread, but for this particular point:
shadzar wrote:There is nothing you can do to get me to buy into anything from 3rd. It is a bloated pile of shit with needless amounts of "rules" and lists of things that people are too stupid to think on their own for.
Anything? That's like saying there's nothing worthwhile in WoD, CthulhuTech, or even 1E. What about modules? What about books like Beyond Countless Doorways? What about the idea of a [I can't even think of an appropriate expletive adjective at this moment] SRD?

I may not have much regard for 2E, but that doesn't keep me from lifting ideas for class features, magic items, and in rare cases mechanical morale rules. It certainly doesn't stop me from using books like Faces of Evil.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

shadzar wrote:Got it?
Not a problem, so long as you understand that I would rather not shit for a week than play 2E. Proselytizing 2E by implying that the ability to do more math somehow makes a person a better roleplayer, that people who prefer 3E are too stupid to think on their own, and that THAC0 is something we should hold in high regard will not net you anything (but scorn).
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Maj wrote: Proselytizing 2E by implying that the ability to do more math somehow makes a person a better roleplayer,
How can doing more arithmetic make you a better roleplayer when min-maxxing or examining the mechanics makes you a worse one?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

It's not clear, hence the stupidity of the argument.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Ok, shadzar, congratulations. I didn't even do this to Elennsar or Roy, and in fact, have only done it to two people ever, but now you're the third. Welcome to ignore world. I hope you like it there.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Mister_Sinister wrote:Ok, shadzar, congratulations. I didn't even do this to Elennsar or Roy, and in fact, have only done it to two people ever, but now you're the third. Welcome to ignore world. I hope you like it there.
Ah, so you are in the useless pile. I was wondering about that. No matter.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Well, as long as were on the subject, nothing you guys say to me will ever make me scoff at 4th Edition. I don't play it myself but I will not look at 4ed Players and thing 'Oh you poor deluded fools.'

Just my two cents.

I might play it myself, actually, if only to emulate a fantasy table-top version of Team Fortress Two, which would rock.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Nothing in 3rd edition is better than 2nd? Literally nothing?

Oh come on, you have to give me the saves! The saves in 2nd didn't even make sense! the rulebook even listed the 5(!) nonsensical saves then had a section saying "sometimes a stat check will be used as a save. Occasionally. If, y'know, you feel like it."

The worst thing is that the example it gave was a block of stone falling on a character, and said "he needs speedy reactions to get out of the way, so a Dexterity ability check should be rolled to see if he avoids the trap." WHAT! Nearly everything in the preceding list of saves needs "speedy reactions" to get out of the way! Then, in the very next paragraph it states "Dexterity, if high enough, can give a character a slightly higher chance of avoiding the effects of fireballs, lightning bolts, crushing boulders, and other attacks where nimbleness may be a help."

So which is it? Do i use a dex check, or a save modified by Dex? That can be a massive difference in probability of success. A level 1 character can have an 18 Dex but to get a 3+ save you need to be around level 16.

I can't believe even you think this is better than the "Fortitude for resist with toughness, Willpower to resist mentally and Reflex to dodge" system of 3rd. Even in my current 2nd Edition campaign (played almost straight for the nostalgia kick) we caved and used the new save system.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Well, as long as were on the subject, nothing you guys say to me will ever make me scoff at 4th Edition. I don't play it myself but I will not look at 4ed Players and thing 'Oh you poor deluded fools.'
As someone who ran a lot of 4E games (I'm running two right now; one online and one offline) I do have to say that 4E works in the same way that Mutants and Masterminds d20 works--if you play the game the designers intended and don't try to do things like deviate from or game the system then you can have a good degree of fun.

Now I bubble with hatred and call it a bad game because even with this limitation M&M still represented a swatch of games I wanted to play. 4E doesn't play as anything other than a Diablo dungeon crawler where you don't really advance in power or scope. But the people I run a game with actually want to play that kind of game so I can't really call them stupid--not the same way I call people who like 3.5E better than 3.0E stupid, because those revisions try to emulate the same kind of game only one is empirically inferior.

Savvy?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Roy wrote:Ah, so you are in the useless pile. I was wondering about that. No matter.
Would you care to elaborate, Roy? If you interpreted my statement to be a stain on your character, I assure you it isn't. It just seems to be a popular thing around here to put you on ignore, and I was just remarking that, unlike everyone else, I have never done that (and by that, I meant I don't use the ignore function like some kind of CPR device).
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Maj wrote: Proselytizing 2E by implying that the ability to do more math somehow makes a person a better roleplayer,
How can doing more arithmetic make you a better roleplayer when min-maxxing or examining the mechanics makes you a worse one?
That's exactly my point. In the THAC0 thread, I saw lots of stupid people not being able to subtract somehow being made relevant to the fact that this is supposed to be a game where you pretend to be someone else, not a game where you demonstrate your mathematical prowess.

I play the occasional game with a guy who sounds a lot like shadzar - he hates 3.0 because it's "too easy" and "anyone can play." Yet when you bust out a cleric archer his mind boggles because you're not healing the party (The DM wouldn't let me name her Imnotabandaid much to my dismay) - you're too busy kicking ass. Somehow, the idea of being able to do obscure math makes players of 2E better, but min/maxxers suck for trying to spank the game.

I don't understand that at all.
God of Awesome wrote:I don't play it myself but I will not look at 4ed Players and thing 'Oh you poor deluded fools.'
4th is just not my kind of game. I'm not a fan of computer RPGs, and 4th just feels too much like that for my taste. But there are a lot of people out there who are into that sort of thing. That's great.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Red_Rob wrote: So which is it? Do i use a dex check, or a save modified by Dex? That can be a massive difference in probability of success. A level 1 character can have an 18 Dex but to get a 3+ save you need to be around level 16.
Yeah. 2nd edition saves were completely ridiculous.