Class features as a resource

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Anguirus
Journeyman

Class features as a resource

Post by Anguirus »

What would you feel about a game where it was possible to trade class features and abilities like a resource (and this is supported by fluff) but the setting is such that you can't simply get whatever class feature you wanted at the market? Are there such games out there? Are they any good?
Sighs and leers and crocodile tears.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Shadowrun and Dungeons and Dragons. Especially 3rd Edition D&D.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

D&D 3.x makes characters rely on magic items to such an extent that they might as well be CFs. For this reason I often treat magic items as a TM or something from a flavour perspective, as most people want to play characters who are individually competent rather than magic item whores, while conveniently ignoring stuff like sundering that rarely comes up in actual gameplay anyway. In any case, the idea's totally workable. In any incarnation. Personally I'd want something where you'd need more experience/<insert arbitrary "power level" here> in order to "equip" higher quality and greater quantity abilities, though a more free-reign system could work too. You'd just have to make sure it doesn't just boil down to the GM arbitrarily deciding who has what abilities. Because that's dumb.
Anguirus
Journeyman

Post by Anguirus »

I hadn't considered magic items as an example of power (combat utility) as a transferable resource. That's a really good example, thank you. I need to think about this a little more.
Sighs and leers and crocodile tears.