Metamagic Progression

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Metamagic Progression

Post by God_of_Awesome »

What is the progression rate of Metamagic feats?
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

No established one.

Generally done based on spell levels, as much as that asses Sorcerers.

I try to go for 0/1/3/6/8 or 9?

Levels 1/1/5/11/15 or 17.

As opposed to 1/1/6/11/16 for Fighters and skills?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Kaelik wrote:No established one.

Yeah, I like caster levels better.
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Scaling to spell level is there for a reason - scalarity to caster level is up-and-out broken, for reasons ranging from Child Necromancer to Karma Beads. So honestly, stick to spell level.

Ideally, I would say 0/1/3/6/9 as a suitable metric.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

God_of_Awesome wrote:

Caster levels are easier to cheese, and therefore, you are retarded for wanting scale anything by them.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

I scale metamagic feats off of the "magic-y" skills, which are basically modified versions of Spellcraft, Arcana, Religion, and the Planes.

This means that "metamagic feats" per se do not exist, but it allows sorcerers and medium casters like bards to not be screwed over too much.

This has the added benefit of making those skills useful for things other than monster trivia.
Last edited by Blicero on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
maddd0g
1st Level

Post by maddd0g »

Blicero wrote:I scale metamagic feats off of the "magic-y" skills, which are basically modified versions of Spellcraft, Arcana, Religion, and the Planes.

This means that "metamagic feats" per se do not exist, but it allows sorcerers and medium casters like bards to not be screwed over too much.

This has the added benefit of making those skills useful for things other than monster trivia.
Seems reasonable to me.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

maddd0g wrote:
Blicero wrote:I scale metamagic feats off of the "magic-y" skills, which are basically modified versions of Spellcraft, Arcana, Religion, and the Planes.

Seems reasonable to me.
Except it makes abilities that say 'your x level spells get y' somewhat invalid.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Kaelik wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote:

Caster levels are easier to cheese, and therefore, you are retarded for wanting scale anything by them.
How? Are their items that boost caster level significantly because otherwise I can't think of a way for a Level 3 Cleric and Level 3 Wizard and Level 3 Mystic Theurge is a Level 9 Caster no matter how you look at it.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

There is one *right in the DMG* that gives a +1 bonus to caster level.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Then the simplest way to fix that is: Progresses with your base caster level or Progresses with caster level as granted by your classes or Progresses with caster level minus items.

Seriously, not that hard to go 'Level granted caster levels only'
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Spell level... or Class levels in casting classes; or Spellcraft/Concentration/Knowledge Ranks.

Things that are actually locked in, and not able to get broken.

You could seriously have
Charge up Casting

"Give me some time to... POWER UP!"

You cast spells better, if you're focusing ahead of time.

You may extend the casting of a spell in order to place a Metamagic Feat you know on a spell you are casting. Every round that you make a successful Defensive casting check is one additional spell level that you don't have add to the spell before you cast it.

If used to cast spells with a duration larger than instantaneous, each spell effect takes up a single magic item slot, as per Book of Gear; to a maximum of 8 spells (and no magic items).

sort of an on the spot deal; you spend a round, and get a minor metamagic feat; or a couple, and add a bigger metamagic feat.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

There's no good reason to fix it to anything but Hit Dice (and skill ranks count, basically). Fixing to spell level kicks Sorcerers in the balls even harder than usual, and kicks people who cast off any slower progression harder than that.

Testicles will be coming out of characters' mouths, is what I'm saying.

Scaling to caster level is also bad. Even if you lawyer up and cut out the caster-level-boosting nonsense, you have still punished people for not compulsively keeping their caster level maxed... which is already its own sufficient punishment. There's no need to go the extra mile.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Base Attack Bonus for the Combat feats, notice how it bones the rogues and casters? Same principle for using spell level with the Metamagic feats.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

There are lots of items. There are lots of class features. There are lots of feats. There are lots of things. That's why I just said "it is easier to cheese" because it is easier to cheese.

1) Rings, Ioun Stones, Beads of Karma.

2) Child Necromancer, Divine whatever that uses turning checks, various domain abilities and +1 feats.

3) Sublime Chord, Ur-Priest, Wild Mage, Chameleon PrC, Ultimate Magus, ect.

There are probably literal hundreds of ways to increase CL. You are dum, stop being dumb.

Further, I would add that you are dumb for wanting to use CL because:

1) CL varies over time.
2) CL has different values for the same character.
3) You would have to invent a different number, that is not CL but is sort of similar to it, in order to even have an actual number to base the feats on. And inventing a new number is fucking stupid, just scale it based on CL who fucking cares if you are that fucking stupid you can't remember what spells someone has.

And worst of all, your actual stupid example:

Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 3 has a CL of fucking 6 and 6 (they are two separate numbers, what if he were a Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Arcane PrC 1? Would his CL be 13 or 14?) not 9 anyway.

So triple fuck you.

Everytime you say something stupid, I assume you've hit bottom and can't go any lower, but then you polymorph into an Earth Elemental just so you can use Earthglide to prove me wrong.

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

virgileso wrote:Base Attack Bonus for the Combat feats, notice how it bones the rogues and casters? Same principle for using spell level with the Metamagic feats.
BAB was specifically being made more valuable because it is overcosted. The full casters don't need the help.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Okay, if a Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 3 has a CL of 6 and... 6 again.

Are you saying Mystic Theurge double itself and splits of from the rest like an ameoba?

Seriously, is there some obscure rule or an interpretation I'm getting wrong? In all honesty, Kaelik, I trust your judgement and would like this explained to me. Because if you can actually explain it to me instead of calling me names, perhaps I can make an informed decision and thus stop pissing you off.

Another thing, Sorcerers are screwed by 1 level. In all honesty, is that that big a problem?
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Okay, if a Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 3 has a CL of 6 and... 6 again.

Are you saying Mystic Theurge double itself and splits of from the rest like an ameoba?

Seriously, is there some obscure rule or an interpretation I'm getting wrong? In all honesty, Kaelik, I trust your judgement and would like this explained to me. Because if you can actually explain it to me instead of calling me names, perhaps I can make an informed decision and thus stop pissing you off.
??? WHababmanadnada?

Now you Shapechange into a Zodar so you can wish yourself deeper into the earth. WTF.

Why would you even for one single second contemplate basing feat scaling off of caster level if you don't even FUCKING KNOW THE RULES FOR CASTER LEVEL!

NO! I'm not going to baby sit your stupid failures anymore. I'm done.

Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Could scaling to caster level be solved by adding: scales to CL, up to a maximum of your HD?
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Alright, I talked this over with someone who is not an asshole and you are, as I expected and stated, right, Kaelik.

So, I revise my statement: Metamagic feats should scale to the number of levels you have in caster classes.

No goddamn feats, items or SHIT is gonna change that a Fighter 1 / Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 3 has 9 levels that are in caster classes, including prestige classes. If you a child necromancer or whatever that fucking feat says, you still have 9 levels that are caster classes even if your CASTER LEVEL is 10 or fucking something.

Caster levels should be the same thing, by logic, but WOTC screwed the pooch with that one as they did with everything having to do with mages in 3.5.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Akula wrote:Could scaling to caster level be solved by adding: scales to CL, up to a maximum of your HD?
If you do that, just make it equal your HD. It's easy as hell to get a caster level of your hit dice anyway.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I still have to ask why 'spell levels you can cast' is not a suitable metric.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Would it do any particular harm if a character's caster level was always equal to their hitdice? Regardless of what class configuration they happen to pick?

Does the fact that more levels are required for more spell slots keep things working properly even when a Sorc1/Pal8 can shoot a few 5d4+5 Magic Missile spells or whatever?
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Lokathor wrote:Would it do any particular harm if a character's caster level was always equal to their hitdice? Regardless of what class configuration they happen to pick?

Does the fact that more levels are required for more spell slots keep things working properly even when a Sorc1/Pal8 can shoot a few 5d4+5 Magic Missile spells or whatever?
Frankly, no, except you should have said 'character level' where you said 'hit dice'.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Sinister: Well, Sorcerer does get kicked in the balls a little but I had a better reason that I frankly forgot because I take internet insult to heart so between crying from Kaelik's witty remarks and trying to tell my ass from a hole in the ground, I forgot it.

So I remark Spell Levels might be a good metric.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17