Embezzlement in Catalyst

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Panzerfaust 150
NPC

Post by Panzerfaust 150 »

http://catalystgamelabs.com/2010/04/21/ ... bs-update/

And the shuffling of the deck chairs continues.

I don't buy it for a minute. Hi, I'm new. I mostly plan to lurk, but I thought I'd at least contribute some to the discussion.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Welcome aboard Panzerfaust, thanks for the link.

I'm curious what Catalyst's current strategy is. I think it's a good idea for them to placate their freelancers, because if they want to work with them in the future they kind of need to. But why not hit the magic button and start a new company or allude to bigger changes to come? Basically do they think that this company is going to weather the storm or do they want to postpone declaring the inevitable for some reason?
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

Panzerfaust 150 wrote:http://catalystgamelabs.com/2010/04/21/ ... bs-update/

I don't buy it for a minute. Hi, I'm new. I mostly plan to lurk, but I thought I'd at least contribute some to the discussion.
That last paragraph is quite something:
Finally, as some of you may have noticed, we’ve just changed the legal text and logos on all our appropriate sites that reference Shadowrun and BattleTech from WizKids to The Topps Company, Inc., per their direction. We’ve been in contact with Topps for weeks regarding these situations. We are currently in negotiations to re-secure the Shadowrun and BattleTech licenses.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Is this different from a previous iteration?

http://www.shadowrun4.com/legal.shtml

I didn't notice the Topps logo before in the lower left-hand corner of the main page:
http://www.shadowrun4.com
...but I don't know if that's because I just didn't notice it, or because it's a change.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Stahlseele wrote:It was simple enough for me to understand at least conceptually.
Don't make him start with the complicated medical sciency stuff again, i usually can't follow with that <.<;,
Too late!

A neuron isn't exactly digital or analog in th way w normally think of the subject, because it doesn't store a value of 0 or 1. All it does is send a value of 1 or not send a value at all. A neuron is at any moment either firing or not firing, but information is created by the arrangement of neurons (which is way beyond analog) and the rate at which the neurons fire, which has everything to do with their physical and chemical environment and is really complex.

But here's the thing: a neuron still only fires or doesn't fire. And they don't fire by having to pass direct current from one end to the other. They fire by flipping voltage gated ion channels due to the depolarization of any part of the neuron, which in turn causes the ions outside the cell to flood in to the next segment (depolarizing it), which opens the next set of voltage gated ion channels and so on all the way down to the end. Triggering a neuron to the "on" state while it is off is a simple matter of causing a 20 millivolt depolarization at any point along the entire length of the neuron. Preventing a neuron from successfully firing entails merely a similarly sized hyperpolarization at any point along the same neuron.

There's been some ranting about Ohm's Law, but that honestly doesn't really hit very hard, since we're talking about using X-Rays, Radio-Waves and other "lesser known rays" to transmit signal from the projector to the target, the total resistance encountered is actually very low - and not amazingly distance dependent. We're talking about inducing very tiny electrical changes in very small areas. The actual energy involved is much less than the fluctuations in a human's own magnetic fields. If this shit worked at all, Technomancers would be totally reasonable.

Of course, this is fantasy science. It wouldn't actually work like that. Yes, you can externally signal the auditory nerve and the optic nerve to represent any sight or sound, and put people into a Lawnmower Man or Tron-like universe. But there's no reason to do that. The number of neurons involved in sensation is very much more than would be required to send someone into seizure. Realistically speaking, incapacitating or killing someone is much much easier than getting any usable information out of their head or projecting any sensory information at all.

However, game mechanically, we put all kinds of limits on Black Hammer, because that stuff is story ending. In reality this shit wouldn't work like Lawnmower Man, Tron, The Matrix, or any Gibson story. It would work like that episode of Fringe where the neurologist chick had a light show that made humans go blank for an hour. But we choose to make things more exciting, with virtual fencing like in Snowcrash. You know, because it's a game, that makes stories.

-Username17
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

mean_liar wrote:Is this different from a previous iteration?

http://www.shadowrun4.com/legal.shtml

I didn't notice the Topps logo before in the lower left-hand corner of the main page:
http://www.shadowrun4.com
...but I don't know if that's because I just didn't notice it, or because it's a change.
That was totally brand new, yeah. Also, when they first put it up, the Topps logo was still a link to WizKids!

As for the "65 payments" thing, that counts each payment for each book separately. So we aren't talking about paying off 65 creditors, we are talking about putting out all of the payments to creative staff on five books (one in production and four that were already printed and sold for 30 days or more). It's not exactly a moment of triumph here - they finally managed to do something they were contractually obligated to do months ago, they are still deeply in debt, and they are still habitually failing to pay their debts.

Let's take the case of WildFire, which I'm fairly impartial about because I honestly don't give a rat's ass about CthulhuTech. We go back in time to the beginning of the year, when they were supposed to get their royalty checks for the books Catalyst printed and sold on their behalf. That money did not come. Keep in mind that this wasn't some flat fee or something, this was money from the books that Catalyst printed and sold, which means that all they had to do was hand over part of the money that was handed to them by the distributors to WildFire. And instead, the money just... didn't show up.

WildFire asks for it in increasingly insistent tones, and of course rumors of the embezzlement are ringing loudly in their ears. When the check doesn't get written and then doesn't get written again (or perhaps gets written and bounces, I'm not sure which category WildFire was falling into at that point), they put their foot down. They put their foot down in February, so Catalyst has already been sitting on their money for months.

And what do they do to put the foot down? They deny Catalyst the right to print additional books and get them to agree to sell off remaining stock to pay off the debt. And yes, Catalyst continues to sell CthulhuTech books. And yet... none of that money goes to WildFire. Catalyst pockets every cent. March comes around, the embezzlement numbers go viral, and WildFire turns up the heat even more.

What do they do to turn up the heat even more? They deny Catalyst the rights to sell any of the books and offer to take Cthulhutech books in lieu of owed money. Catalyst agrees to send them the materials and WildFire sits back down and waits for payment. And yet... when the remaining books arrive, it's not enough to cover the debt. Catalyst had in fact sold more or printed less than they claimed, which means that WildFire had been lied to again and shortchanged again by Catalyst. By mid-April they had no more leverage left on Catalyst and were still owed tens of thousands of dollars.

So they went to court. Posthuman Studios and Topps Inc. are both also owed Royalties, but both companies have been keeping it closer to their chest what lines of bullshit they have been fed by the Colemans over the last year (and in Topps' case, three years). Right now, WildFire is in line to get money court ordered into their pockets and Topps is not. But Topps does not make over two hundred million dollars a year because it allows people to fuck with it.

Remember, they agreed in principle to pay for the books that got holds placed on them when I first broke the story in March. Meaning that I strongly suspect that they are paying it now because they finally suckered someone else into giving them a loan. Paying for the new book is just bizarre. I think it's some sort of weird guilt trip to try to convince Topps that they would have less money coming in if they killed the golden goose by cutting them off in May.

-Username17
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

FrankTrollman wrote:Also, when they first put it up, the Topps logo was still a link to WizKids!
The Topps logo image is still named bottom_wizkids.png.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Starmaker wrote:The Topps logo image is still named bottom_wizkids.png.
That's a common lazy website designer tactic; scale a new image down to the size of the one to be replaced and give the file an identical name. It's a bad coding practice but not unusual.
Fuchs
Duke

Post by Fuchs »

I guess copy/paste is too much work?
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

FrankTrollman wrote: However, game mechanically, we put all kinds of limits on Black Hammer, because that stuff is story ending. In reality this shit wouldn't work like Lawnmower Man, Tron, The Matrix, or any Gibson story. It would work like that episode of Fringe where the neurologist chick had a light show that made humans go blank for an hour. But we choose to make things more exciting, with virtual fencing like in Snowcrash. You know, because it's a game, that makes stories.

-Username17
This. Also, since when did rpg books become peer reviewed journals. Anybody arguing about "teh sciceence" should be forced to play starwars instead of shadowrun, because in starwars people track speed using only units of distance an no units of time.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

You shouldn't be here J. W.

I don't think this is your kind of place.

Clutch
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Mr. Trollman,

Can I ask you a personal question?

Word 'round the campfire has it that you are a medical student in Prague.

What is your nationality? The reason I ask is because your American English is flawless. Right down to the slang.

Clutch
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Clutch9800 wrote:Mr. Trollman,

What is your nationality? The reason I ask is because your American English is flawless. Right down to the slang.

Clutch
I think he's from the US and just moved there. But I'm not sure.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

FrankTrollman wrote:...Topps does not make over two hundred million dollars a year because it allows people to fuck with it.
I wouldn't be so sure about this.

As an organization I think Topps could drop a hammer on someone, but they're not a hivemind. The Shadowrun line falls into someone's portfolio and that person is managing it according to their personal skill and responsibilities, and it's entirely possible that they have not been watching their SR-associated revenue closely or effectively because it's outside their ordinary revenue stream.

So for that hammer to fall, it has to escape the orbit of whoever was charged with watching it in the first place, then to that guy's supervisor, and through that stage to one or two more internal processes, and THEN it would go to legal. So if Topps hasn't really gotten wind of this until now, then the "Topps takes a shit on CGL" event could still conceivably be at least six months away.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Except they have to renew the license to print the damn books in May. So while real legal action may be some time coming, they'll be shitting on CGL much sooner than six months.

I guess if they lose the license CGL could just continue as normal, until a new company got rolling. It would only be one more illegal and slimy thing on their record.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Clutch9800 wrote:Mr. Trollman,

Clutch
I am originally from California. I am a medical student in Prague, I have a Canadian girlfriend; but I'll be returning to North America in July to visit family for a few months.

But yes, I do speak English as a fucking native. Complete with the ability to add swear-word empathics into sentences in the grammatically appropriate places. Mluvím &#269;eské nedob&#345;e. Byl jsem v praze p&#345;ed t&#345;i roky, a u&#269;il se jsem jayzk jen trošku. Lek je první.

-Username17
Panzerfaust 150
NPC

Post by Panzerfaust 150 »

Clutch9800 wrote:

Clutch
Just a private person now, and as I said, I mostly plan to play nice and lurk. Aren't you doing the same?
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Panzerfaust 150 wrote:
Clutch9800 wrote:

Clutch
Just a private person now, and as I said, I mostly plan to play nice and lurk. Aren't you doing the same?
Just funnin ya.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Should better introductions be in order here?
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Nah,

Panzer and I are just a couple of guys trying to make it in the White Mans world.

Clutch
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pretty clearly they used to be involved in Shadowrun and CGL in some sense or another.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Czech to English translation wrote:I speak Czech ill. I was in Prague three years ago, and I learned a little jayzk. The drug is the first.
-Crissa
duo31
Apprentice

Post by duo31 »

So what books are being held up / may not see print?

I'm still upset about corp war not being released.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Kaelik wrote:Pretty clearly they used to be involved in Shadowrun and CGL in some sense or another.
There used to be a Clutch that ran Fanpro's convention demo teams, at least for Battletech. For those not in the know Fanpro used to run Catalyst's properties before their was a Catalyst.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Crissa wrote:
Czech to English translation wrote:I speak Czech ill. I was in Prague three years ago, and I learned a little jayzk. The drug is the first.
-Crissa
I'm guessing 'jayzk' means 'language', or, in this particular case, 'of the language'. Not sure what the fuck the whole 'drug is the first' thing is all about, though.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.