Facebook and information

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Facebook and information

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Posted to my Facebook about a week ago wrote: Check it out: "FACEBOOKERS: Facebook is at it again....violating your personal information. As of today, there is a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." Go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites and un...check "Allow". Please copy and paste if you value what little is left of your privacy!
As I recall, the directions for shutting this off weren't exactly correct, but close enough that I was able to figure it out.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Sun May 02, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Anything you do on facebook should be considered freely available to the web. If you care about anyone seeing something you do on facebook, don't do it. Those fuckers care less about privacy than anyone else I know of, including the British government.
Murtak
Jacob_Orlove
Knight

Post by Jacob_Orlove »

fbmf wrote:As I recall, the directions for shutting this off weren't exactly correct, but close enough that I was able to figure it out.

Game On,
fbmf
Here's some quotes directly from facebook:
If you opt out, your public Facebook information can still be shared by your friends to these partner sites unless you block the application.
So, what's public Facebook information, you ask?
Publicly available information includes your name, profile picture, gender, current city, networks, friend list, and Pages. This information makes it easier for friends, family, and other people you know to connect with you.
Fun fact, they recently converted pretty much everything into Pages. Was that an underhanded way to make more of people's information public?

And how do you block the applications? It took some digging even when I knew where the link was, but here:
Linky link
You can opt-out of instant personalization by disallowing it here. By clicking "No Thanks" on the Facebook notification on partner sites, partners will delete your data. To prevent your friends from sharing any of your information with an instant personalization partner, block the application: Microsoft Docs.com, Pandora, Yelp.
The bottom line is that you really shouldn't have any information on facebook that you don't want to share with the entire internet.
Last edited by Jacob_Orlove on Sun May 02, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Glad I'm a fairly open person then...
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Wait. Wait.

People are putting their information up on a site for the explicit purpose of sharing that information with other people, and then they are surprised when that information is not private?

:spit:
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

I thought the concern people are having isn't that their information isn't private completely hidden from the rest of the world, but that the control that they have over who has access to that information is in a continually dwindling spiral.

It's not surprising but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother people.
Last edited by Jilocasin on Sun May 02, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Uh, what is privacy, if not the ability to control what others know about you?
Murtak
IGTN
Knight-Baron

Post by IGTN »

Here's a timeline of the changes to their privacy policy.

Also, you can put information up under one privacy policy, and then they change things and reveal it, or add a new feature to automatically share it that you have to then turn off.
"No, you can't burn the inn down. It's made of solid fire."
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

That's not much of a privacy policy. I doubt it would stand under court scrutiny, honestly, their changes being not according to the prior privacy policy.

Courts, even conservative ones, take a dim view of opt-out.

-Crissa
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

NineInchNall wrote:Wait. Wait.

People are putting their information up on a site for the explicit purpose of sharing that information with other people, and then they are surprised when that information is not private?

:spit:
What Facebook does is basically take an existing feature which, since it has been implemented, has protected your data and suddenly turn off the protection, usually silently. They have done this repeatedly now and when confronted about it don't even pretend it was a mistake. Pretty much Facebook's stance is "this is our data, not your data. We only protected your data so we could bait you into entering it".

Why anyone would want to use that site is beyond me.
Murtak
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I didn't read IGTN's link today, but the timeline got another link elsewhere.

Why, because sometimes... Wait. when has this ever happened before?

-Crissa
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Can we coin a new term for the Den? Let's call people who never properly read other people's posts a Crissa.

Because a lot of that has been happening lately and "Crissa" is a more concise term than"Someone who never properly reads other people's posts."
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Uh...

I'd say that there are other people who have both repeatedly, and consistently, misread, misunderstood, and then argued stridently on the 'facts' that they 'read' in a post. :roll:

Instead, of you know, asking about what they didn't understand in that person's post. Usually, you're more likely to agree when you understand, than when you don't have a flying fuck of a clue as to what is going on. :rofl:

Honestly though, I don't know what I'd call what Crissa did. It's odd, in that her link and IGTN's are the same, but it's not like she copypastad IGTN's link and then said it was her link. Past records have never had her doing that, so this is just a fluke.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah hell, if you're going to ignore long posts, then at least don't argue about them without skimming for salient information... (which is, really, what I do... very seldom do I actually read posts in their entirety.)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Zinegata wrote:Can we coin a new term for the Den? Let's call people who never properly read other people's posts a Crissa.

Because a lot of that has been happening lately and "Crissa" is a more concise term than"Someone who never properly reads other people's posts."
Why would we call someone who properly reads others' posts a "Crissa"?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Zinegata wrote:Can we coin a new term for the Den? Let's call people who never properly read other people's posts a Crissa.

Why would we call someone who properly reads others' posts a "Crissa"?
Very funny.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Judging__Eagle wrote:Uh...

I'd say that there are other people who have both repeatedly, and consistently, misread, misunderstood, and then argued stridently on the 'facts' that they 'read' in a post. :roll:
Yeah. But Crissa does it a lot. You don't have much experience with her, do you? :P

For instance:

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=51170&start=75
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Crissa wrote:No, it's not founded in the greek for uterus. It's founded in the English for 'woman who doth protest too much'.

That's why you should probably not claim things aren't sexist without asking why. Just because you get along just fine being a second-class citizen without ever wondering why, does not mean it doesn't bother other people.

-Crissa
Um, your own link says 'This theory is the source of the name, which stems from the Greek word for uterus, hystera (ὑστέρα).'
Maybe we should change the definition to someone who shoots themselves in the foot with their own link?
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed May 05, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.