[PrC] Game Hunter

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

no, I just have random knowledge that will never help me in real life.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Alright, added the Winged Mount, Montaur Hide Coat, Phantom Shrooms, Steamed Phase Spider Legs, Amorphous Stew, Purple Gauntlet, Weakness Whip and Rust Armor.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Prak_Anima wrote:no, I just have random knowledge that will never help me in real life.
In India, they have classes in school dedicated to bullshit like this. They call it G.K or general knowledge.

My head is still full of random things like Mahakala is the dinosaur named after a Buddhist deity.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Added Conductive Vines, Shocker, Lightning Dagger, Ultimate Trophy of Ultimate Destiny, Staff of Living Oak, Umber Armor, Unisword, Cold Wolf Cloan and Big Cold Cloak. Also tried to buff up the Steamed Drider Legs.
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I've finally finished the first Monster Manual and am moving into the second.

Added Cloak of the Night Hunter, Wyvern Sting, Sonic Cannon, Head of the Hive, Wind Walkers, Blood Fur Vest, Skeletal Extraction and Brax Horned Helm.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Added It's A Bird It's A Plane, Glide Cowl, Darktor Octopus, Screech, Face Taker, Portal To Abyss, Bad Acid Trip, Frost Scale Jacket, Drolem, Grav Hat, Floating Brain, Hellfire Armour and Fluffy Devourer of Children.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

A few issues with the new set of trophies:

Bad Acid Trip:
Oh god. Precognition is difficult to work in D&D. It's interesting, though.

Floating Hat:
Grell Bonnet. That's just... it's gotta look dumb. Really, though that's just description, I'd change it to say two tentacles wrap around your shoulders and torso. The thing you have to remember is that (most) people want their characters to look cool. Bonnets are almost never cool, unless you're swearing by a pretty floral one to end someone.

Roc Plane is rather cool though, I like that one.

Another Idea:
THE Nice Hat
Death/(1) Entropic Reaper
You have defeated Death. And won his hat. It's a very nice hat, and give you a bonus to Intimidate, Bluff and Diplomacy checks equal to your class level. Further more, you are immune to death effects, and 75% of the time critical hits don't effect you.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Is the Entropic Reaper an undead?

Also, the Grell's trophy is supposed to look stupid because I think the Grell is a stupid looking creature.
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Sat May 29, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Added Mobil Underwater Fortress, Meenlock Antidote, Haunted Moonstone, Lunar Thinking Cap, Mushroom Wands, Enslaver Mask and Wortling Factor.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, entropic reaper's an undead. it's from Libris Mortis
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

I've been avoiding using undead; no souls. Those with souls (Like lich and however you feel like interpretting other creatures) can have their base creature used. Creatures that ARE souls count for ghost touch.
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

it's more that Death is a spiritual concept represented by the stats of an undead creature. Also you're not binding him, but rather he gives you his hat. I didn't say that though, come to think of it. I don't know, random idea inspired by Girl Genius.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

You know why this class is completely fucking retarded? You get powers based on what you kill, not your actual power (level) and based on the variety of corpses you get your hands on your power level goes up completely uncapped.

If you want a "wear a monster to get it's powers" class we already have one. Look at Frank's totemist. Notice how it's actually tied in with the level system and doesn't require stupid shit to be level appropriate and doesn't let give you massive retarded powerups for the rest of your career for a single level dip? Yeah, that.

This class is retarded from the very idea you designed it around. Rewrite it completely and don't do batshit uncapped powerups next time.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Please change the name.

Game Hunter sounds like Frank on an acid trip stalking into a hobbyship and belligerently demanding a pristine copy of the D&D box set. Alternatively, all of the above except that he's looking for some shit no one's ever heard of.

Like The Wrath of Xaxx Second Edition Reprint 4 Errata 2.

We don't hate straight up rip-offs around here. Just call it Monster Hunter and be done.
Last edited by Aktariel on Sun May 30, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<something clever>
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Animals you hunt are called game. Taking trophies is emblematic of Big Game hunters. I have no objections to the name.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

Koumei: So, I should cap how many trophies can be made?
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

God_of_Awesome wrote:Koumei: So, I should cap how many trophies can be made?
I'm not a lesbian from australia, but yes. One per level of the class. Maybe less. Run some SGT with optimal picks with five items and see how it does. Then run some SGT with only half that. If there's a big difference in success rate, you need to make it so that the class doesn't require world specific encounters to keep it's power at the right level (see: rewrite the whole thing from scratch).

Basically, any bonus that is optional should be very niche use and any bonus that is assumed should be fuck easy to have. Your class needs shit like this:

Skin of the red wyrm
Prerequisite: Red dragon skin.
Effect: You are immune to the breath weapon of red dragons.
Special: Kill a different dragon, get a different color dragon to be immune to the breath weapon.

See, being really scary to orcs or dragons or whatever you hunt should make you better against those things, not encourage you to just decorate yourself like a tacky christmas tree.
Last edited by ubernoob on Sun May 30, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.