Scottish Dwarves?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, it'd mean they're really good at agriculture, this could take the form of cultivating large forests full of trees they like to eat, clearing out toxic plants, and ensuring hardy growth of things that they and all of the other herbivores in the forest can eat. One way you could conceivably tell if elves have claimed a forest is by the conspicuous lack of poison ivy and pine trees, and an over abundance of nut bearing trees, fruit trees, and any tree with large, plentiful leaves.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

That makes a lot of sense...and makes a nice place to hold an adventure in. Say the PC's chase some monster in there and fire up some killing, and the elves show up and are like "WTF dude, this is were we eat and shit and you're just shooting fireballs and acid globs and spells of Poison Elf Food. Gah! Going to have to go kung-fu on you if you don't appease us. *Assumes Horse Stance*"
And lightning split the sky like a mile tall electrostatic spark, booming like thousands of cubic feet of air undergoing thermal expansion.

I could form a lucid, logical, and wise argument to refute your statement, but instead I'm going to take the moral low-ground and call your mother a whore.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Judging__Eagle wrote:I personally am going with "eats leaves of trees, or grass".
How about, "Eats, shoots, and leaves."

That seems to accurately sum up the elven situation.

:biggrin:
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Haw, haw, ViTM. Haw, haw.

That's viable, but only as a non-elf joke, about elves.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Pine trees are nut bearing trees.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ok, good point. I don't know how edible the needles are, but I imagine that, if you're specifically picking the trees you culitivate, pine trees aren't high on the list.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Pine trees generally grow where others do not. And no, you don't eat pine needles, that's where it stores the most sap and we get turpentine from. But some conifers have edible bark or roots. You can also make clothes and armor and boats and baskets from the bark and fibers; and they grow where hemp or cotton cannot.

-Crissa

PS, the war on the pinyon pine in the American SW has reduced the supply of pine nuts in the US to the point that we no longer have that sort of industry.
Last edited by Crissa on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ah, ok. So they're not necessarily a food tree for elves, but elves could use them in other ways. Didn't think about that.

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

This thread is great if you assume "agrinja" means "agriculture ninja"
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I know, I read it as 'agri-ninja' the first time I saw it.

-Crissa
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

A "scotch dwarf" would be when you roll a dwarf in sausage meat and then deep fry it. It's more likely than you think.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:A "scotch dwarf" would be when you roll a dwarf in sausage meat and then deep fry it. It's more likely than you think.
I suppose they -are- almost the right shape....Though I imagine dwarves as having the same problem bears do. Delicious, but stringy as all hell.
And lightning split the sky like a mile tall electrostatic spark, booming like thousands of cubic feet of air undergoing thermal expansion.

I could form a lucid, logical, and wise argument to refute your statement, but instead I'm going to take the moral low-ground and call your mother a whore.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

A Scotch Dwarf is your usual run of the Mill Dwarf filled with Scotch.
Hence your usual run of the Mill Dwarf ^^
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
K
King

Post by K »

Stahlseele wrote:A Scotch Dwarf is your usual run of the Mill Dwarf filled with Scotch.
Am I the only one that thinks of butterscotch dwarves?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

K wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:A Scotch Dwarf is your usual run of the Mill Dwarf filled with Scotch.
Am I the only one that thinks of butterscotch dwarves?
seeing how i don't even know what that might be, probably.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

Orion wrote:This thread is great if you assume "agrinja" means "agriculture ninja"
Crissa wrote:I know, I read it as 'agri-ninja' the first time I saw it.

-Crissa
Random throwaway name for a demon from the Belgariad. Which book, I forget. Important at all? Not really, name just stuck with me as kinda cool. Agri-ninja kind of amuses me if only because I'm picturing someone doing a whole lot of asskicking with a hoe, or a rake, or maybe even one of those metal spikes with the forked end you use to pull tough weeds...

CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Agrinja wrote:...one of those metal spikes with the forked end you use to pull tough weeds...
It's called a "lawn weasel".
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Agrinja wrote:Agri-ninja kind of amuses me if only because I'm picturing someone doing a whole lot of asskicking with a hoe, or a rake, or maybe even one of those metal spikes with the forked end you use to pull tough weeds...
Or maybe one of those modified rice-threshing tools, what were they called? Nuncha-something? ;)
Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

I always thought those were some kind of modified horse bit?

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

no, basically you'd be a ninja who almost exclusively used Okinawan weaponry.

...which my college district offers as a class... I've been meaning to take it...

Agrinja
1st Level

Post by Agrinja »

....Where are you going to school? That sounds pretty kickass!

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Los Rios Community College District in Sacramento.

The problem is they keep offering it at like 730am... only.