Artists for the Monster Manual

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Artists for the Monster Manual

Post by Dr_Noface »

I'd love to see Mike Mignola (of Hellboy fame) contribute a few monsters to the Monster Manual. What about you guys?
malak
Master

Post by malak »

I'd like to see some aberrant monsters by HR Giger.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

I love the Hellboy-verse of comics and I love Mignola. But his heavy, shadowy ink style isn't particularly appropriate to a Monster Manual. Maybe for a WoD book or an elder evils supplement but not D&D.

While they don't have to be in color, a Monster Manual illustration needs to be clear enough that a Dungeon Master can describe it to his players without difficulty or guesswork. "Uh... and... uh, it's got tentacles for whiskers? And frog eyes, I think."

Clean, clear and with ambient lighting. Like a nature study. That's the MM way.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

As I mentioned in another thread, I like Tony DiTerlizzi's work. Part of that might be nostalgia since I started playing with 2E, and his work was my favorite.

Wayne Reynolds is another favorite of mine. I especially like his stuff after 3.0, when he learned how to draw feet. :p
Last edited by RobbyPants on Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Wayne Barlowe.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Masamune Shirow :awesome:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Wesley Street wrote:I love the Hellboy-verse of comics and I love Mignola. But his heavy, shadowy ink style isn't particularly appropriate to a Monster Manual. Maybe for a WoD book or an elder evils supplement but not D&D.

While they don't have to be in color, a Monster Manual illustration needs to be clear enough that a Dungeon Master can describe it to his players without difficulty or guesswork. "Uh... and... uh, it's got tentacles for whiskers? And frog eyes, I think."

Clean, clear and with ambient lighting. Like a nature study. That's the MM way.
Seriously? I'll agree that for a MM, Mignola's style isn't necessarily the best, but there's art in Eberron and one or two other books that I could have sworn was Mignola working with a brighter palet, until I looked at the artist credits and saw him no where on there.

Hell, limit him to a certain proportion of dark to light, if you have to, but I think it'd be great to see some of his stuff in D&D. And I very much agree on the Giger aberration thing, too.

I'd love to see more Wayne Reynolds, and some Barlowe would be awesome. But someone needs to send Wayne England and Jeremy Jarvis back to Art school... England does good structures, that's about it. His weapons look too bland and similar, and his creatures have no necks. Jarvis' art is just to flat.

I'd love to see some of Post's or Brom's better stuff. Hell, they've both done stuff for MtG, so I doubt they'd have much problem on D&D. Baxa has good stuff, he just needs to stop drawing things that look like they're composed of worms and puzzle pieces (unless the depicted thing is...).

Hell, Magic the Gathering has beautiful work by a lot of artists, so there's definitely some fodder there.

Ursela Vernon would be awesome to see in a MM. Hell, if you went all out and did the manual as more of a field journal, layout-wise, she could be given free reign on some monsters, and the entry could have a large, full colour semi-realistic illustration of the creature, and then some random doodles and sketches in borders that let her just play around a bit.

And... well, shameless plug for the boyfriend of an acquaintance, throw some work this way to Guardianofire on devart:
He's done great "realistic" pokemon drawings, so I'd love to see what he does with a Chasme or the Tarrasque.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

Kentauro Miura can do some pretty cool monsters, and you'd get some cred for including a japanese artist from the current teen crowd.

Of course given what current teens want you're probably going to end up with Tite Kubo or that guy who does Naruto doing those designs.
Doom
Duke

Post by Doom »

Boris Vallejo, so that every picture, even the ones of ochre jellies and such, can have scantily clad women in them. ;)
Kaelik, to Tzor wrote: And you aren't shot in the face?
Frank Trollman wrote:A government is also immortal ...On the plus side, once the United Kingdom is no longer united, the United States of America will be the oldest country in the world. USA!
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

Prak_Anima wrote:Seriously? I'll agree that for a MM, Mignola's style isn't necessarily the best, but there's art in Eberron and one or two other books that I could have sworn was Mignola working with a brighter palet, until I looked at the artist credits and saw him no where on there.
A Mignola-clone, or any other popular artist with a distinctive style, is fine for spot illustrations in a splat book. For a Monster Manual, the art needs to be clean and bright. It's a technical rendering that conveys what the creature actually looks like.

If full color isn't an option, the Shadowrun 1st ed. critter books are a good visual guide. Large images, clean layouts, very solid ink work.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Vnonymous wrote: Of course given what current teens want you're probably going to end up with Tite Kubo
Pro: Not many backgrounds to draw!

Con: You might get monsters in outfits so outrageous that they would make the barbarians in Mad Max and Fist of the North Star laugh at them.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Gustave Doré
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

Paul Bonner, most definetly.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

hogarth wrote:Gustave Doré
In that case, Giovanni Battista Piranesi.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

James Christiansen
Last edited by Maj on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Did he do monster-type artwork? Google mostly turns up architectural engravings.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'd love to see some of Post's or Brom's better stuff. Hell, they've both done stuff for MtG, so I doubt they'd have much problem on D&D.
You know Brom was the house artist for Dark Sun, and setting elements were created by having Brom draw something funky and them making stats for it?
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

hogarth wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Did he do monster-type artwork? Google mostly turns up architectural engravings.
No, he didn't--but he's a great artist, and he would be able to draw dungeon scenes like nobody's business.

Goya would be a great monster artist, tough.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Red_Rob wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:I'd love to see some of Post's or Brom's better stuff. Hell, they've both done stuff for MtG, so I doubt they'd have much problem on D&D.
You know Brom was the house artist for Dark Sun, and setting elements were created by having Brom draw something funky and them making stats for it?
This is pretty much the perfect way to design monsters once you've gone through all the stuff inspired by the source material, in my mind.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

I wonder if they did the same with Diterlizzi and Planescape..
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

UmaroVI
Journeyman

Post by UmaroVI »

Prak_Anima wrote:
Red_Rob wrote:
This is pretty much the perfect way to design monsters once you've gone through all the stuff inspired by the source material, in my mind.
I like to do that when creating characters (although it has to be in a system with sufficiently flexible character creation that you can do it without crippling yourself). Start with an awesome picture, then make a character to fit it.