What books are you reading now?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

You would need to copy it from Sandersons HP and convert it for the nook.
Not exactly hard since (the nook can read txt or pdf files right?), just saying.

The best argument for an ebook reader is IMHO for hard cases like me: I dont need the huge space for physical books...
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Korwin wrote:The best argument for an ebook reader is IMHO for hard cases like me: I dont need the huge space for physical books...
B-but it makes you look smart! Chicks dig guys with huge racks!

Anyway, I just had a long holliday, which gave me time for some good, old fashioned book reading.

I read Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk, and I've gotta say: Holy fuck! There I was, trying to get accustumed to the crazy-ass engrish the book's written in, and then the main character suddenly paints an american flag with rape then wipes his dick in the bible.
I don't think I've ever been physically stunned by a book before, but after reading that I had to sit still for a couple of minutes while giant fucking anvils crashlanded around me.

I also read the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, and I was impressed. I quite liked the story, and it's nice to read some genuinely progressive fantasy fiction every now and then.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Wyzzard wrote:I also read the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan, and I was impressed. I quite liked the story, and it's nice to read some genuinely progressive fantasy fiction every now and then.
That... is not exactly what I would call progressive at all.

EDIT: Also, people are stupid in that book for plot reasons, and it pisses me off.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Wyzzard
Apprentice

Post by Wyzzard »

Kaelik wrote:That... is not exactly what I would call progressive at all.
Well, maybe it's just me then. I don't read a whole lot of fantasy, so I'm pleasantly surprised when what I do read doesn't turn out crazy like Sword of Truth or LoTR. Or Harry Potter for that matter.

What specifically pissed you off?
Kaelik wrote:EDIT: Also, people are stupid in that book for plot reasons, and it pisses me off.
Yeah, I won't argue with the plot-induced stupidity, but I don't mind any more. Again, my base for comparison probably sucks.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I finished The Road recently and I'm reading Ekhart Tolle's The Power of Now on and off; I'm doing so because I hit the first real step in "enlightenment" recently and it explains most of the things that have been happening as a result. On a related note I'm more of an atheist or agnostic, what ever you call it when you completely cease to care about life after death, than a Christian now.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Korwin wrote:You would need to copy it from Sandersons HP and convert it for the nook.
Not exactly hard since (the nook can read txt or pdf files right?), just saying.

The best argument for an ebook reader is IMHO for hard cases like me: I dont need the huge space for physical books...
Yes, the nook can read txt and pdf. ...what format is it in now?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Posted in plain text on his Blog (Link See above post).
So copy and paste into an txt file and Sync. to your reader...
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

eesh. Yeah, that'd work. I thought maybe he'd sent people a pdf or something.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

At the moment I'm reading A Storm of Swords from George R.R. Martin, the third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, in my fourth or fifth read-through. I'm having this probably vain hope that he will have his fifth book ready soon, since the filming of the first season of the TV adaption on HBO seems to have given him a motivation boost to finally finish book five.

Man, one wonders what exactly happened to make him slow down to such a crawl. I heard the first three books came out pretty fast?
Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

At the USO I picked up some Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovitch. I read her first when I still worked at the bookstore, and they're still good.

I also picked up some lousy book about a drug addicted ghostbusting witch and another about a werewolf detective.

The novelization of Infinite Crisis had it's moments, like Animal Man's lunch and Power Girl's doorknobs.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

magnuskn wrote:Man, one wonders what exactly happened to make him slow down to such a crawl. I heard the first three books came out pretty fast?
Yeah, book 2 came out two years after book 1, and book 3 came out two years after that. Then there was a 5 year wait for book 4, and it's been almost five years again since.

There are a lot of theories about why he slowed to a crawl. Some think his other activities picked up and ate into his time. Some think he's written himself into a corner and is tying himself in knots to get out. If you asked me, I'd say that he reached the level of success where his publishers can't enforce deadlines and, without that pressure to produce, the momentum died.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
magnuskn wrote:Man, one wonders what exactly happened to make him slow down to such a crawl. I heard the first three books came out pretty fast?
Yeah, book 2 came out two years after book 1, and book 3 came out two years after that. Then there was a 5 year wait for book 4, and it's been almost five years again since.

There are a lot of theories about why he slowed to a crawl. Some think his other activities picked up and ate into his time. Some think he's written himself into a corner and is tying himself in knots to get out. If you asked me, I'd say that he reached the level of success where his publishers can't enforce deadlines and, without that pressure to produce, the momentum died.
Well, things I heard were along the lines that he decided to not do a time-skip between books three and four, which forced him to toss much of what he had written until then. Why he couldn't do the time-skip is a bit beyond me, apparently he thought that there was a female viewpoint which "had to be written". I certainly hope it ain't Brienne, because her part was the most pointless of AFFC. Also not doing the time-skip puts the kibosh on doing romances for many of the characters, because you can not really do that with ten year olds ( one would hope ).

Also he alludes to some "Mereenese Knot" he has to unravel, which goes in your direction of him having written himself into a corner somewhere in the book. And there are his side activities, including the other fiction he writes, etc.

Well, I can only hope that the prospect of the TV series catching up to his books will give him the impetus to work forward.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Hmm, yes I've been waiting for the next Game of Thrones novel for so long that I don't know if I'll even care when it comes out. Then again fiction hasn't been doing it for me in the last couple months.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

He's got tons already written. It's just not 'the next book' so he's had to go back and rewrite.

Basically, if you want any more of it, you hafta sit in on a reading...

-Crissa
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

I just bought "Sh*t My Dad Says", by Justin Halpern...while his dad is undeniably kind of an asshole, the book is filled with hilarious stuff.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

PoliteNewb wrote:I just bought "Sh*t My Dad Says", by Justin Halpern...while his dad is undeniably kind of an asshole, the book is filled with hilarious stuff.
Supposedly a sit-com is in the works. William Shatner is playing the dad.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I don't think that would be as funny.

-Crissa
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Of course it wouldn't. But network tv isn't concerned with funny, they're concerned with money. As long as they make more off of this than they spend, it'll stick around a while

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I deal with 11-year-olds all day
When did Texas lower the drinking age? :p

But on-topic, I just finished reading Mockingjay, the just-released finale of The Hunger Games trilogy.

Surprisingly deep for young-adult lit, and I consider it a sort of spiritual successor to John Christopher's Tripods trilogy which I read as a young tween.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I just noticed yesterday that my roommate has a Tripods book, would you say it's worth a look, Josh?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It's a bit ubermench and harsh, but sure.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Calibron wrote:I just noticed yesterday that my roommate has a Tripods book, would you say it's worth a look, Josh?
I voraciously read the Tripods books when I was in 5th grade.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I think I read it in third or fourth... 50's editions of stuff at grandparent's house.

-Crissa
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I voraciously read the Tripods books when I was in 5th grade.
Plus or minus two grade levels, this is true for most of my generation.

I suspect I would be disappointed were I to reread them now, but they were great "young adult" fiction, at least before I discovered Barsoom and Dangerous Visions.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

We read Barsoom in class. I really didn't find the attraction.

-Crissa