PROTIP: "Labeling" is for retards.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic Robot
Prince

PROTIP: "Labeling" is for retards.

Post by Psychic Robot »

Look, asshats, let's get one thing straight. When you call someone homophobic, racist, sexist, bigoted, misogynist, or any other sort of terminology that labels someone as being part of a socially unacceptable group, you're not saying anything. You aren't contributing to a conversation. You're name-calling. The reason you call someone something is to discredit them, even if certain members of this forum don't think so.

Here's how name-calling works.
Guy: This nerdy girl I once dated was a fucking headcase. It's been my experience with a lot of gamer girls, actually.

Girl: That's sexist.
Now, at this point, Guy is faced with being labeled by some retarded chick. Guy immediately leaps to defend his honor, claiming that he isn't sexist or what he said wasn't sexist. This allows Girl to divert the discussion from the topic of nerdy girls have a proclivity to craziness and instead on Guy's personal character. She has successfully silenced his opinion.

On the other hand, if Guy does not bother to defend himself and instead attempts to maintain the current conversation, Girl can point to his posts and demonstrate that he's a sexist. Being surrounded by people who have been indoctrinated into a politically-correct environment, they will dismiss Guy's claims as being invalid because they are typical of a chauvinist. Girl has successfully silenced Guy's opinion yet again.

And this behavior happens all the fucking time, especially around here. So cut that shit out.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

PROTIP: Political Correctness is the only reason we're not labeling people as "[EDITED]" and "[EDITED]".

You can bitch about labels, and you are making good points, but your barb about political correctness was only thrown in to piss people off so you could go bitch about how mistreated conservatives are.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Seriously PR, remember that time when you threw a tantrum and left the Den? Can we go back to that time?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:You can bitch about labels, and you are making good points, but your barb about political correctness was only thrown in to piss people off so you could go bitch about how mistreated conservatives are.
Ah, the irony...
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Guy: This nerdy girl I once dated was a fucking headcase. It's been my experience with a lot of gamer girls, actually.

Girl: That's sexist.

Better Response: Gee, you sure have poor taste in who you date.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

No political correctness?

Girl: That's because YOU'RE GAY!!! LOLOLOLOL
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

> 'I hate all those fucking stupid bitches who keep calling me sexist! What gives them the right?'
Koumei wrote:Seriously PR, remember that time when you threw a tantrum and left the Den? Can we go back to that time?
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:PROTIP: Political Correctness is the only reason we're not labeling people as "[EDITED]" and "[EDITED]".

You can bitch about labels, and you are making good points, but your barb about political correctness was only thrown in to piss people off so you could go bitch about how mistreated conservatives are.
Politeness is why I don't call people [EDITED] and [EDITED]. Same reason I don't call fat people landwhales to their faces. But go on about how I'm playing some conservative trap card.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

"Oh boo-hoo! I said something for no reason other than to piss people off and I got called on it. Boo-hoo-hoo!"
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

While I absolutely agree with Koumei, Count & Carthaz, be smarter.

Seriously, PR is sticking up for Ganbare. He's not defending anything he's said at all. He's insulting Crissa, who you guys also think is wrong.

I don't care about PC whining, or whining about PC, or upsidedown pineapples, but when PR says something about how Crissa is wrong to call Ganbare Gincun and Virgil and maddog sexist for something, at least muster the intellectual fortitude to accuse him of trying to perpetuate an environment of conservative assholery like you did in the first place Count, instead of accusing him of defending himself when he's actually defending stuff that other people who are not him and who he actually hates said.
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Kaelik wrote: at least muster the intellectual fortitude to accuse him of trying to perpetuate an environment of conservative assholery like you did in the first place Count, instead of accusing him of defending himself when he's actually defending stuff that other people who are not him and who he actually hates said.
I'm... having trouble figuring that out. I'm not insulting your language skills, I'm pleading a lack of language skills on my side.

Mind explaining a bit?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

X said Y.

Z criticized Y and X for saying Y.

A claims that Z is wrong, and criticizes the criticism.

Appropriate response: Criticize A for something unrelated.
Appropriate response: Criticize A and claim that Z is correct.

Inappropriate response: Criticize A for just being upset that Z called him on Y.

You: "Oh boo-hoo! I said something for no reason other than to piss people off and I got called on it. Boo-hoo-hoo!"

PR didn't say it. He didn't say anything to piss people off, and he didn't get called on anything.

Carthaz: 'I hate all those fucking stupid bitches who keep calling me sexist! What gives them the right?'

PR didn't call anyone a fucking stupid bitch, nor did any people, stupid fucking bitches or not, call him sexist. Clearly he's not pissed that anyone called him sexist. He's upset that inaccurate claims of sexism occurred.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

PR has a strawman argument. Because that's not what happened at all. Then, he did use the 'political correctness' in a derogatory, and in a later post, says he does the same thing via politeness. Apparently, politeness is self-correction he approves of or participates in or something while political correctness is politeness he doesn't approve of or something.

Hence the argument that calling people out on their lack of politeness or self-awareness being rude.

I mean, how horrible that you might have to face other people who take your actions at face value, and those actions may be shared with, or defining points of something disapproved of in general. Gosh!

-Crissa
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Kaelik wrote:X said Y.

Z criticized Y and X for saying Y.

A claims that Z is wrong, and criticizes the criticism.

Appropriate response: Criticize A for something unrelated.
Appropriate response: Criticize A and claim that Z is correct.

Inappropriate response: Criticize A for just being upset that Z called him on Y.

You: "Oh boo-hoo! I said something for no reason other than to piss people off and I got called on it. Boo-hoo-hoo!"

PR didn't say it. He didn't say anything to piss people off, and he didn't get called on anything.

Carthaz: 'I hate all those fucking stupid bitches who keep calling me sexist! What gives them the right?'

PR didn't call anyone a fucking stupid bitch, nor did any people, stupid fucking bitches or not, call him sexist. Clearly he's not pissed that anyone called him sexist. He's upset that inaccurate claims of sexism occurred.
Ah, I understand now.

I seem to be communicating poorly today then.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I hate to say it, but Kaelik is right here.

-Crissa