The appropriate amount of sexual content in D&D.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I find scars on most fantasy characters to be rather cliche.

-Crissa
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I've been of the idea that I well, I add in major injuries, or really, just "injuries" in general to a character's profile.

A RoW barbarian that (ab)uses Blitz is going to be one badass looking person. They're fully functioning as a person, no maimed limbs, or spongey head; but their skin is like a patterned surface in scars. Honestly, that just makes sense. If you get cut the heck out in every fight, you should probably be covered in scars.

Regenerate being used to clean skin, and restore it to it's original state, however, is something that I'm fine with. Not every character concept can "accept" the premise "keep every injury as a scar"; and that's fine. A pretty-boy adventurer with a ragged black scar that runs from their shaved scalp down to their waist isn't a bad thing. Neither is a female adventurer who has lots of reasons for a nose broken multiple times, and looking like they've had to crawl out of the ass-end of a battalion of Gruumsh's orcs on Acheron, looking like they've been dragged through a field of spinning morningstars and axes.

It should also be noted that... almost every time that a PC dies, or gets very close to death, there's a learning experience. Each scar, could in some way, be viewed as a badge of learning some sort of lesson.

This idea is even used in more modern fiction, in William Gibson's Idoru, one of the characters, a Tazmanian ex-con who saved the life of a rockstar at a prison concert, has a very nasty scar. His one side of his face is covered in smooth scar tissue, and his ear is missing. When he's nervous, he rubs the remains of his missing ear. When the protagonist asks him why he hasn't got it fixed, (with the sort of Cyberpunk tech that the later Gibson books now have (he's writing 'closer' to the present now, funny enough)) the Rockstar's bodyguard responds something regarding to how he lost the ear due to a fault in memory; and maintains the scar to maintain memory.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

CA wrote:He might not have any harpy scars, but he'd have a purple worm scar from a week ago, a couple old cauterized stab wounds from salamanders he fought last month, maybe a missing eye or ear for when the evil Duke Badinov hewed him down as a callow youth which motivated him to protect the weak and small.
I don't get it. Do healing spells not work?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Where does it say healing magic doesn't allow scarring to take place?

I might be wrong because my memory isn't perfect, but I don't recall anything that says anything either way. Which means it's DM's call.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

CA wrote:I might be wrong because my memory isn't perfect, but I don't recall anything that says anything either way. Which means it's DM's call.
Exactly. The only reason a character would have scars is either because the DM says the players gain scars whenever they get injured, or because the character wants them.

I gotta say... I'm not really interested in playing in a world where all the interesting guys look like walking piles of scar tissue. Thanks, but no thanks.

:tongue:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey, Deadpool's a sexy beast.

anyway, I give characters scars when it fits. My favourite is covered with them in a picture I did of him specifically to show off his scarred body, each with a label as to what it's from.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Maj wrote:
CA wrote:I might be wrong because my memory isn't perfect, but I don't recall anything that says anything either way. Which means it's DM's call.
Exactly. The only reason a character would have scars is either because the DM says the players gain scars whenever they get injured, or because the character wants them.

I gotta say... I'm not really interested in playing in a world where all the interesting guys look like walking piles of scar tissue. Thanks, but no thanks.

:tongue:
I guess I can understand that. It's probably because I'm biased by my own experiences, as in I've lived a relatively safe live for the past 30 years and have half a dozen or so scars, permanent injuries, bone spurs, and whatnot. I don't see how someone who beats dragons to death to take their stuff doesn't look like motile hamburger.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Catharz wrote:But isn't the greater warrior the one who can defeat an owlbear without getting scarred?
Ehhh.... it's not that.

It's more like,

"Remember the time, when we were a bunch of level 6's; and we faced off against a hill giant and his pack of pet Dire Wolves? That was intense. One guy got smacked with a rock while we were water-walking towards the Giant from our hired boat; and fell into the drink.

Then, an other guy ran into the giants next rock to be thrown, and melded with it, to start swining at the giant, and keeping it from throwing rocks. Then one guy charged it, and he was already injured from the wolves, and the giant got him square in the side of the head? He collapsed and his brains were all over the damned place. We killed the giant, healed the guy who got his head caved in, and then patched up everyone else."

A character who never screws up is sort of lame imo. Scars represent when a character was badly injured. If every fight, then end up covered in cuts and gouges, but they also live through every fight, and can kill almost anything they could be expected to face in a one on one fight, is skill still of concern?

Of course, every opportunity for scars is an other opportunity to find a way to prevent further scars. The low level barbarian who uses Blitz will pick up things to give them more survivablity; usually Damage Reduction or HP. Scrolls of Stoneskin, Adamantine Armour, even feats like Great Fortitude or Survivor Against the Odds.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is a good point, most of the hardcore badasses of popular fiction are covered with scars, Batman, Vash, Hartigan, Constantine, Cassandra Cain, etc.

Scars mean that you've seen the shit. They're an ever present visual aid and silent testimony to your story. Think about the difference between "Yeah, I was in the concentration camps" and "Yeah, I was there, the Krauts gave me this to remember them by *shows number tattooed on himself*" or the difference between a guy just talking about a narrow escape from a shark, and that same guy pulling up his pant leg to reveal the chunk of missing flesh in his calf.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Okay, I'm putting a stop to this grognard wanking, because I hate grognards.
Prak wrote:This is a good point, most of the hardcore badasses of popular fiction are covered with scars, Batman, Vash, Hartigan, Constantine, Cassandra Cain, etc.
Uh, yeah, THAT'S not true.

This whole conversation just reminds me of grognard wishful thinking, trying to stick their realism dick in places where it doesn't belong. With few exceptions, most heroes in fiction do not have more than just light, fashionable scars, if at all.

Everyone ooos and aaas at Squall's scar, but if Seifer had cut off a chunk of his nose then his fangirl base would be nowhere near as big. Zuko is prime fangirl bait, but if his burn torched his ear AND his nose he'd stop looking 'cool' and start looking 'gross'. People think that Nick Fury and Snake's (both from EFnY and MG) eyepatches look frickin' sweet, but they'd change their tunes if instead they had half-functioning eyes with melted flesh around the sockets.

There is a reason why depictions of fictional heroes don't actually have the kinds of leftover injuries/scars you'd see in real life, if they have them at all.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
DMReckless
Journeyman

Post by DMReckless »

I ran a character once who insisted on healing naturally after fights he wanted to keep the scars from.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I agree with Lago; Av and Prak are merely fetishizing the concept of scarred beauty due to the fact that it is counterculture. Doing the exact opposite of what is the norm is just as shallow as slavishly adhering to the norm.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Okay, I'm putting a stop to this grognard wanking, because I hate grognards.
Prak wrote:This is a good point, most of the hardcore badasses of popular fiction are covered with scars, Batman, Vash, Hartigan, Constantine, Cassandra Cain, etc.
Yes, it is:
Dark Knight
[imghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ghxEhv0vVxs/SIXns9d8w6I/AAAAAAAAAVk/8eH114nwTOM/s400/03.jpg[/img]
Alex Ross illustration
It's proving damn near impossible to find a picture online which shows Cassandra's scars, since, apparently, they're almost never actually drawn unless she's partially or fully undressed (tvtropes)

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Okay, I'm putting a stop to this grognard wanking, because I hate grognards.

This whole conversation just reminds me of grognard wishful thinking, trying to stick their realism dick in places where it doesn't belong. With few exceptions, most heroes in fiction do not have more than just light, fashionable scars, if at all.

Everyone ooos and aaas at Squall's scar, but if Seifer had cut off a chunk of his nose then his fangirl base would be nowhere near as big. Zuko is prime fangirl bait, but if his burn torched his ear AND his nose he'd stop looking 'cool' and start looking 'gross'. People think that Nick Fury and Snake's (both from EFnY and MG) eyepatches look frickin' sweet, but they'd change their tunes if instead they had half-functioning eyes with melted flesh around the sockets.

There is a reason why depictions of fictional heroes don't actually have the kinds of leftover injuries/scars you'd see in real life, if they have them at all.
That does bring up some good arguments. The only really heavily scarred hero I can think of are Deadpool and Jonah Hex. Probably more exist, but you're right that most people have small, minor scars in media.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mask_De_H wrote:I agree with Lago; Av and Prak are merely fetishizing the concept of scarred beauty due to the fact that it is counterculture. Doing the exact opposite of what is the norm is just as shallow as slavishly adhering to the norm.
Well, you're wrong, but you can believe whatever you want. Scars have meaning, and the revulsion most people have to them is silly.

...but then, if precivilization standards of mate selection applied these days I'd be neck deep in pussy...

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:

That does bring up some good arguments. The only really heavily scarred hero I can think of are Deadpool and Jonah Hex. Probably more exist, but you're right that most people have small, minor scars in media.
four of the five I mentioned don't. Batman's even often described, in grittier works, as having skin like a roadmap, Vash's are shown in one episode and they are extensive and hideous, Hartigan practically looks like hamburger, and Cassandra Cain, apparently, has scars all over her body due to her father's "pain resistance" training. The key thing is that Batman's scars are all below the neck, Vahs's major ones are all below the neck (iirc, he has a minor one on his face), and the artists just don't show Cassandra's because she's supposed to be pretty. She has them, we just don't see them.

edit: Here, this seems to show some of Cassandra's scars:
Last edited by Prak on Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

RE: Cassandra picture. That's supposed to be scarring? She looks more like she got scuffed up playing soccer or amateur wrestling. That's not a fucking scar.
PA wrote:Batman's even often described, in grittier works, as having skin like a roadmap
Okay. Name a Batman cartoon or a Batman movie where Batman looks like this underneath his armor.

For someone with Batman's lifestyle, he has skin like a baby. This is intentional.
PA wrote:Vahs's major ones are all below the neck (iirc, he has a minor one on his face)
PA wrote:It's proving damn near impossible to find a picture online which shows Cassandra's scars, since, apparently, they're almost never actually drawn unless she's partially or fully undressed (tvtropes)
She has them, we just don't see them.
Vash's scars are not very visible because of that stupid red coat before. I also found that 'reveal' of what his body really looks like intensely stupid instead of cool. I mean, really, steel plating on the pecs? There are some things you should port over and some you should just leave in the manga.

GEE, I WONDER WHY.
PA wrote:Scars have meaning, and the revulsion most people have to them is silly.
No, it's just silly macho fetishism. You may as well ask people why they don't find holes in nice suits or shoes with the soles coming off cool--after all, worn clothes have meaning and have more character than some off-the-shelf CK brand you buy in Neiman Marcus! Why, these pair of dress shoes have been with me since the junior prom, I don't understand why you're saying they look like hobo shoes and should get new ones. They still keep my feet dry and safe. :cry:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

....you should see the clothes I wear. It's a damned good thing I know how to sew.

Hell, my favourite sweatshirt is about halfway to it's sleeves disintegrating...

But no, it's not some silly macho fetish thing, not for me anyway, I just don't see anything wrong with scars. Of course I don't see anything wrong with cannibalism either, so maybe I'm just bizarre and socially maladjusted.
Last edited by Prak on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Judging Eagle wrote:It's more like,

"Remember the time, when we were a bunch of level 6's; and we faced off against a hill giant and his pack of pet Dire Wolves? That was intense...
As far as my selective memory can recall, scars in stories have pretty deep meanings to the characters. Their scars are representative of some emotionally related, horrible trauma the character endured.

That's not the same thing as getting a scar in your fairly regular D&D battle.

If you say that healing magic doesn't prevent scars, then you're going to end up with characters who have a lot of markings that don't mean much. It's the ability to have scars only sometimes - even in the stories - that gives meaning to the characters' scars.
Last edited by Maj on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
8headeddragon
Apprentice

Post by 8headeddragon »

This is becoming every thread on permanently blind PCs ever.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Prak_Anima wrote:I just don't see anything wrong with scars. Of course I don't see anything wrong with cannibalism either, so maybe I'm just bizarre and socially maladjusted.
I think you are, yeah.

Scars reduce prettiness.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Scars reduce prettiness.
But they increase manliness.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Psychic Robot wrote:
Scars reduce prettiness.
But they increase manliness.
Or the pity factor.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

and some people don't care about being pretty.

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I personally love the scars I have on my arms, chest, and back. Legs, I'd rather avoid them. Face, I'd definitely rather avoid them. On the torso and arms, scars are manly and don't detract from attractiveness much while giving an excuse to tell that girl a story of one time you were hardcore after you took your shirt off because you wanted to show off your abs. Scars on the face are just unattractive.

At least, that's been my experience.