General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

well, at least something . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Troll
NPC

Post by Troll »

I'm sorry, could I ask for a little refresher? Which bond?

I'm almost up to date on all the legal crap at CGL but not completely.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

CGL wanted each of the three main prosecutor to pay 25k up front for their troubles of going to court against them . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Oh no. It was $75k each. Item number 28.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Any speculation on why they pulled it?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

My guess is because after two weeks the judge hadn't signed off on it, but I really have no idea one way or t'other.
rojo
NPC

Post by rojo »

Ancient History wrote:My guess is because after two weeks the judge hadn't signed off on it, but I really have no idea one way or t'other.
Ancient-
I read over the last couple of postings on that link. I didn't find anything that said it had been withdrawn. After reading it, it looks like the response was due this last Weds and the hearing on the bonds was next Weds. Is it just not posted yet? Or I might have just missed it!

Rojo

(Did the judge have to sign the order to have the hearing, maybe that is what I missed?)
Last edited by rojo on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

RECAP hasn't posted the latest version of the docket report yet. The motion was withdrawn on the 15th.
rojo
NPC

Post by rojo »

Thanks-
I was reading everything I hadn't look at yet and didn't find it.
Rojo
Ancient History wrote:RECAP hasn't posted the latest version of the docket report yet. The motion was withdrawn on the 15th.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ancient History wrote:Oh no. It was $75k each. Item number 28.
Ah, okay, numbers are not my friends <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

In general, when those motions are filed, they have no weight at all. It's literally just some lawyer trying to get a judge to issue a decree by oh-so-subtly suggesting one by writing all the legalese out and leaving space for the judge to sign it. If the judge signs it, the result is exactly as if the judge had written the whole damn thing himself. If the judge does not sign it, there is no impact whatsoever. It's just idle speculation of what the judge might want to say unless and until it actually gets a signature.

A seventy five thousand dollar bond for court costs on a twenty thousand dollar loan is pretty much laughable. If CGL could rack up that kind of court costs they could have just paid their fucking debts. Even with all the money Loren ran off with, the company as a whole is still only a couple hundred thousand in the hole. The entire concept of the bond was laughable, and I still don't understand why they didn't go for something more plausible like five thousand dollars.

-Username17
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Either they have a crap lawyer (which is possible, I mean christ, the lawyer had to get into an argument over the timing of his filings so he wasn't late), or they were hoping to scare the shit out of the plaintiffs and are just harassing them.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Probably both.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Wageslave
NPC

Post by Wageslave »

I'm with Stahlseele on that one, although I'm leaning more to it being an intimidation tactic.
...why yes, I am an Asshole
Centurion13
Journeyman

Post by Centurion13 »

By gum, I just discovered this. Old news to the rest of you, but this sounds soooooo...familiar. Especially the part where the guy discovers more and more ways to milk the cow and never gets caught.

Until he does.

But by then it is too late to recover the lost funds.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/07/game-co ... yal-family

Cent13
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Interesting read.

The main difference in this case is the complete and total lack of criminal prosecution. : /

Edit: Also, remorse.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
theye1
Apprentice

Post by theye1 »

In all seriousness, it's quite common for victims of Fraud to still be friends and even defend the people who stole from them. It's sadly human nature.

edit: I personally find it disturbing that Coleman has no apparent remorse for things he has done, and they still stand by him.
Last edited by theye1 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

So I gotta ask... what is it about gaming companies and embezzlement? It's like a forbidden mixture of peanut butter and chocolate.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

@TheFlatline:

It is that gaming companies usually begin as small business evolving out of a hobby, and they do not have a very good grounding in the business side of things. At least that's my take on it.
theye1 wrote:In all seriousness, it's quite common for victims of Fraud to still be friends and even defend the people who stole from them. It's sadly human nature.

edit: I personally find it disturbing that Coleman has no apparent remorse for things he has done, and they still stand by him.
Well that was really not the case in the article linked to. Their friendship is ruined forever by the, you know, decade of grand larceny.

Anyway, I think I have less issue with anyone forgiving Coleman than I do for Coleman MAKING NO FORM OF APOLOGY.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

From Coleman's perspective, why should he feel remorse? He's getting away with it so far, piles of people have defended his honour, and it's looking like he's keeping the license.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Apologizing would involve at some public or private level admitting what he did. Which could be bad for him, since confessing to your crimes is the first thing any lawyer will tell you not to do.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

TheFlatline wrote:So I gotta ask... what is it about gaming companies and embezzlement? It's like a forbidden mixture of peanut butter and chocolate.
They usually lack the staff and/or foresight to have the person writing the checks be different from the person keeping the books.

Non-business folk just call all of that, "accounting" and give it to one person.
Clutch9800
Master

Decipher and FASA

Post by Clutch9800 »

Remember that Decipher was very close to buying FASA back in 1999-2000.

The deal fell through when Decipher began to unravel.

I can remember when Decipher was a big time player.

Clutch
BeeRockxs
1st Level

Post by BeeRockxs »

Ancient History wrote:Apologizing would involve at some public or private level admitting what he did. Which could be bad for him, since confessing to your crimes is the first thing any lawyer will tell you not to do.
No one here knows if LLC apologized to the other owners of CGL.