A class you'd like to see

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, Sudden Tree hangs around (and so does Sudden Forest, by association). Added two other small abilities, Flower Body (as funny as it would be for him to create a Sudden Tree underneath himself to avoid being hit, then realise he's stuck up there) and Briar Storm (as Sudden Thorn would no longer ever be used otherwise, and is still just "a little free damage each round, that won't even be making hard Concentration checks for Wizards").
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Mask_De_H wrote: Hey Frank, so the Mechanus Knight can't auto-TWF with his cogs right? Can they do so with a Cog and something else with the Two Weapon Fighting feat? It seems weird that making your hand into a drill somehow prevents you from effectively fighting with something in your other hand.
Yes, for absolutely no reason, you cannot TWF with a drill. Maybe it uses a partial hand, maybe it's a stance thing. Make up a reason yourself. You can still have a shield or carry a torch if you are so inclined. Basically the cogs are a hand and a half weapon in all cases.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

the drill is too demanding on your steam/clockwork programming to allow you to swing another weapon at the same time, but your hand and arm still work, so you can carry objects, and vaguely use a shield, but you don't have the left over processing to manage a full weapon.

How's that?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ibanez
NPC

Post by ibanez »

How is the dire syringe balanced with power attack?
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I'd like to see a Tome Frenzied Berzerker prestige class.
<something clever>
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

ditto, that and Berserk (the norse "rage like ability" class from Deities and Demigods). I'd like to some day be able to play one of my favourite standard characters in Tome, and he had both classes.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Prak_Anima wrote:ditto, that and Berserk (the norse "rage like ability" class from Deities and Demigods). I'd like to some day be able to play one of my favourite standard characters in Tome, and he had both classes.
Here's my attempt. Not quite complete, and a but more focused on flavor than balance. I also wish that the beast totem did more as appropriate to the specific creature, but that's tough to balance. Oh well...

Berserker
I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
Those who wade out into battle?
Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
They bear bloody shields.
Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.

Berserkers are warriors who have had their souls chipped away by the horrors of constant combat. A berserker fills that hole with the spirit of a dead creature whose hide she wears. This grants great power, as the strength and fury of a dead beast and a wounded soldier combine. It also leads to great difficulty in other parts of life, as the berserker is subject to sudden mood swings and animalistic urges that should not exist within a person.

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus: +4.
Feats: Blitz or Deadful Demeanor.
Skills: Intimidate 4 ranks.

Hit die: 1d12.
Base attack bonus: good.
Saves: good fortitude, poor reflex, and poor will.
Skills (4 + Int per level): Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

1: Beast Totem, Berserk
2: Sticks and Stones, Berserk Dice +1d6
3: Call the Fallen, Ghost Hunter
4: Fear no Flame, Berserk Dice +1d6
5: Beyond Death, Danger Sense

Armor and Weapon Proficiency: Berserkers are proficient with any armor crafted from the body of a (formerly) living creature. This includes (but is not limited to) leather, animal spirit, bone, hide, dragonscale, and demon hide armors.

Berserkers are also proficient with shields and all simple and martial weapons.

Beast Totem: A berserker can draw the spirit of a deceased creature from a piece of equipment she wears. This requires a 24-hour ritual of fasting and sleeplessness. The equpment in question must be made from a dead creature and its face must be visible. When the ritual is complete, the incorporeal form of the spirit (scaled to be aesthetically balanced) surrounds the berserker. The resulting unearthy aura grants a competence bonus to Intimidate.

Berserk: When dealing melee damage to a foe or when taking damage, a Barbarian may choose to go berserk as an immediate action. While berserk, the berserker is immune to mind-affecting and fear effects. She also gains a bite attack, which has a magical enhancement bonus. Going berserk can be combined with flying into a barbarian rage as a single action.
While berserk, a berserker cannot cast spells, activate magic items, use spell-like abilities, or drop her weapons or shield. Berserking lasts until she has neither struck an enemy for three consecutive rounds nor suffered damage from an enemy for three consecutive rounds. She may voluntarily stop berserking as a full-round action.

Sticks and Stones: 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but swords will never hurt me.' A berserker has DR/bludeoning equal to his class level divided by 2 (round up).

Berserk Dice: A berserker adds her berserk dice to damage dealt by her melee attacks while berserking.

Fear no Flame: In fits of madness, berserkers have been known to hold torches to their flesh and choke down burning coals to fuel the fire in their hearts. Perhaps as a cause or effect, they gain fire resistance equal to their character level.

Call the Fallen: A berserker can use her connection with her beast totem to communicate with spirits. The works as the speak with dead spell with the following exceptions: the communication is nonverbal, and therefore does not require language or that the corpse has a mouth, and the target must have died a violent death.

Ghost Hunter: The combat feat. If the berserker already has this feat, she can choose another combat feat in its place.

Beyond Death: Sounds good, doesn't it?

Danger Sense: Ther berserker's beast totem is always looking out for her, and grants her the Danger Sense combat feat. If the berserker already has this feat, she can select another combat feat instead.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

I think the DR should have the option to just improve barbarian rage DR since most people entering this class will have barbarian levels anyways. Tracking multiple DRs is a little bit of a hassle.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:I think the DR should have the option to just improve barbarian rage DR since most people entering this class will have barbarian levels anyways. Tracking multiple DRs is a little bit of a hassle.
In Tome games it'll just stack with rage DR, except it works outside of rage (and not against bludgeoning weapons). I see your point, and I considered it when I wrote the class, but I don't think it's a serious enough detriment to change. Show me I'm wrong. :)
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
ubernoob wrote:I think the DR should have the option to just improve barbarian rage DR since most people entering this class will have barbarian levels anyways. Tracking multiple DRs is a little bit of a hassle.
In Tome games it'll just stack with rage DR, except it works outside of rage (and not against bludgeoning weapons). I see your point, and I considered it when I wrote the class, but I don't think it's a serious enough detriment to change. Show me I'm wrong. :)
Well, I know it would stack in a tome game, but it's a different type, so you have to keep the values separate. I guess the easy solution is to change it to DR/- so that it can just be added without referencing rage.

I'm arguing to save time on accounting. DR 3 is pretty much a drop in the bucket, so there's no balance considerations.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
Well, I know it would stack in a tome game, but it's a different type, so you have to keep the values separate. I guess the easy solution is to change it to DR/- so that it can just be added without referencing rage.
I'm not sure how that makes it easier. You still end up with different values in and out of rage.
ubernoob wrote:I'm arguing to save time on accounting. DR 3 is pretty much a drop in the bucket, so there's no balance considerations.
There are still balance considerations. You can pick up DR from magic items, classes, armors, feats, and races, all of which can stack.

Fundamentally, though, you're right. The issue is two-pronged: Is DR/bludgeoning interesting enough to outweigh the hassle if it being different from DR/-? And is the DR enough to bother keeping track of when you get attacked? DR 3 isn't much; maybe I should increase it to class level.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:
ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote: In Tome games it'll just stack with rage DR, except it works outside of rage (and not against bludgeoning weapons). I see your point, and I considered it when I wrote the class, but I don't think it's a serious enough detriment to change. Show me I'm wrong. :)
I'm not sure how that makes it easier. You still end up with different values in and out of rage.
ubernoob wrote:I'm arguing to save time on accounting. DR 3 is pretty much a drop in the bucket, so there's no balance considerations.
There are still balance considerations. You can pick up DR from magic items, classes, armors, feats, and races, all of which can stack.

Fundamentally, though, you're right. The issue is two-pronged: Is DR/bludgeoning interesting enough to outweigh the hassle if it being different from DR/-? And is the DR enough to bother keeping track of when you get attacked? DR 3 isn't much; maybe I should increase it to class level.
Or even better:
Make it DR/- WHILE in berserk. That way you can just mentally note it in the "Benefits of rage and berserk" without caring about it otherwise.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote:
ubernoob wrote:Well, I know it would stack in a tome game, but it's a different type, so you have to keep the values separate. I guess the easy solution is to change it to DR/- so that it can just be added without referencing rage.

Or even better:
Make it DR/- WHILE in berserk. That way you can just mentally note it in the "Benefits of rage and berserk" without caring about it otherwise.
At that point I should get rid of berserking and give them barbarian rage.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: At that point I should get rid of berserking and give them barbarian rage.
Considering that "Berserker" has the EXACT FUCKING SAME conceptual space as "Barbarian" I completely agree. I mean, immunity to fear is nice and flavorful, but that's not a big jump from "Can make fort saves in place of will saves and gets +HUGE (seriously, bard song, heroism, rage, etc) bonus to saves against fear."

So yeah, it's more a problem with the request than your design.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

ubernoob wrote:
CatharzGodfoot wrote: At that point I should get rid of berserking and give them barbarian rage.
Considering that "Berserker" has the EXACT FUCKING SAME conceptual space as "Barbarian" I completely agree. I mean, immunity to fear is nice and flavorful, but that's not a big jump from "Can make fort saves in place of will saves and gets +HUGE (seriously, bard song, heroism, rage, etc) bonus to saves against fear."

So yeah, it's more a problem with the request than your design.
Well, the berserker is basically a guy that puts on a wolf pelt or a bear pelt (and if you want to expand it to things like Aztecs and a certain crazy Greek, jaguar and lion pelts) and hulks out, possibly adopting some animal characteristics in the process. So basically it can be anything from a 'bear warrior' or loup garou to a vanilla raging barbarian.

In this class I was trying to play up the 'animal spirit' aspect rather than physical transformation, and combine it with some specific legends (like eating coals). I think that's still totally doable, regardless of whether you make it what amounts to an extension to the barbarian class or make it it's own thing. The Tome barbarian is basically a great big club. Ideally this makes it a more of a 'swiss army club'.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I was thinking "Frenzied Berserker" in the "hulks out with EVEN MOAR rage and might kill his friends he's so crazy" way rather than the "puts on bear skins and hulks out differently" way.

Couple of thoughts:

a) Some sort of Beastlands Ferocity + Delay Death combo going on, where you don't fucking die until you come out of your frenzy.

b) Power Attack is an attack option now, but would it be terrible to still give some sort of improved return on it?

c) Pounce? Leaping Charge? Something?
Last edited by Aktariel on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
<something clever>
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Aktariel wrote:I was thinking "Frenzied Berserker" in the "hulks out with EVEN MOAR rage and might kill his friends he's so crazy" way rather than the "puts on bear skins and hulks out differently" way.
That's a frenzied berserker, not a berserker. This was to fulfill Prak's request for a rehash of the Deities & Demigods berserker.

The frenzied berserker concept is, basically, retarded. In a cooperative game it's almost impossible to balance the risk of having a character fly off the handle and kill other PCs. If she's powerful enough to justify keeping in the party even though she might accidentally kill the party cleric, she's going to overshadow all the other characters. Which pisses them off because (1) they feel small in the pants and (2) they could die at any moment to friendly fire.

The Tome barbarian is probably about as close as you'll get to the Frenzied Berserker. You could probably come up with a PrC that turned the barbarian into more of a tank and call that a frenzied berserker (what with ranting at people and refusing to die), but you really can't have 'involuntary' player killing.
-Anatole France

Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

For Valor
Knight-Baron

Post by For Valor »

[quote="Aktariel]
a) Some sort of Beastlands Ferocity + Delay Death combo going on, where you don't fucking die until you come out of your frenzy.
[/quote]
I can imagine, after a fight...
"Dude, I'm at -30 hit points, I'll die if I get out of rage!"
"Alright, I'll stab you in the face every three rounds. Someone get a CLW wand out..."
Mask wrote:And for the love of all that is good and unholy, just get a fucking hippogrif mount and pretend its a flying worg.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Actually, he's got Fast Healing since presumably he's also a Barbarian, so he just needs the face stabbing every so often.

Hell, a ring of beastland ferocity + delay death might be an acceptable item; that and a barbarian and a buck fifty will get you a frenzied berserker and a cup of coffee.
Last edited by Aktariel on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
<something clever>
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, the idea of playing a Barbarian/Berserk/Frenzied Berserker is that you have three completely separate abilities which give +4, +6, and +6 bonuses to strength, which all stack, and you can enter all three at once, and one feat boosts your uses of all three.

So your basic tactic to go fucking Cuchullain on your enemies, going into combat and getting so god damned pissed that your muscles rip your skin and you throw enemies as actual weapons.

This doesn't quite work in Tome, but I do like the concept of Frenzy in a "I get so goddamned angry, I have to continually seek enemies and not look at my allies in combat, lest I kill them, and I've got a fucking magic torc that will end my fury if I'm about to attack one"

But then I like dumb concepts.

Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

There is one thing I want to see, a good inquisitor writeup. The way I see it, the class should have smite chaos and the rest is up for grabs.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

In a sentence or so, what is this hypothetical inquisitor supposed to do? Is it connected to divine magic/churches or just supernatural Order or possibly any sort of institution?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Something like this?

The Inquisitor

"A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time."

Inquisitors blah blah hate Chaos etc. etc. burn witches banish demons and so on and so forth complete dicks yawn next.

The role of the Inquisitor in a game is to use [Fear] effects, lock enemies down with action-denial and similar, as well as to beat the bejesus out of Chaotic enemies. They are also good at getting answers, even if the answers aren't actually true.

Starting Characters:
Starting Age: as Cleric or whatever
Starting Wealth: as Paladong
Alignments: any non-Chaotic Any
Races: Humans and Elves are most common, followed by intrinsically Lawful Evil races.
Ability Scores: Wisdom is important, and Strength and Constitution would also do you well. Charisma has some use.

Basic Information:[/b]
Hit Dice: d8
BAB: Medium
Good Saves: Will
Skill Points: 4+Int

Class Skills: Appraise, Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge (Any), Listen, Perform (Oratory), Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival

Proficiencies: Light and Medium Armour, Shields (but not Tower Shields), Simple and Martial Weapons and the Man-Catcher

Level:Special:1st/day2nd/day3rd/day4th/day5th/day
01Smite Chaos, Halt, Detection1----
02Zealous Conviction2----
03Seize the Truth, Living Captives3----
04Sickening Smite, Terror Beyond Death40---
05Zealous Fervour, Mark of Justice41---
06Hold Person, Slayer, Discern Lies42---
07Mettle, Eyebite, Domain43---
08Horrific Smite, Burning Conviction440--
09Punish the Corrupt441--
10Zealous Lunacy, Burn the Witch442--
11Divine Pronouncement443--
12Armour of Contempt4440-
13Hearing Voices, Words of Torture4441-
14Terrible Smite, Slayer4442-
15Hold Monster, Banishing Smite4443-
16Dictum, Forcecage44440
17Defy Witches, Domain44441
18Imprisonment44442
19Deadly Smite44443
20Exterminatus44444

Class Features:

Smite Chaos (Su): the Inquisitor can declare any melee attack to be a Smite. If the opponent is Chaotic in alignment or has the [Chaotic] subtype, the Inquisitor may add his Charisma bonus to hit, and his Class Level or Wisdom modifier (whichever is higher) to the base damage. This ability may be used once per round, but even on charge attacks or attacks of opportunity.

The bonus to hit may be converted into damage via Power Attack, but cannot be Expertised into more Armour Class. It isn't called "Run away from Chaos like a little girl".

Halt (Sp): the Inquisitor may cast "Halt" at will, with a Save DC of 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus.

Spellcasting: the Inquisitor can cast Divine Spells. He knows every spell on the Inquisitor list (see below), but has a limited number he can cast per day. The Save DC for any spell is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus. Bonus Spells depend on his Wisdom score. Spells must be prepared ahead of time, like a Cleric.

Detection (Sp): at will, the Inquisitor may cast Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Detect Magic, Detect Poison or Detect Undead.

Zealous Conviction (Ex): a second level Inquisitor believes so firmly in himself that he cannot be convinced he is wrong. He may add his Class Level to Sense Motive checks, and is considered to be interacting with illusions (and thus able to attempt a Disbelief save) simply by seeing them.

Seize the Truth (Ex): at third level, the Inquisitor learns how to bully the truth out of people with pure fear. If he converses with/shouts at someone for a full minute, he may make an Intimidate check opposed by their modified level check (d20+HD+Charisma+bonuses vs Fear). If successful, they will truthfully tell him everything they know about the subject he questions them about. If he utilises actual torture, he gains a +4 Profane bonus to this check.

There is a 10% chance, however, that they will simply tell him what they think he wants to hear, to get them out of further interrogation. This improves to 50% if he utilises actual torture.

Living Captives (Su): the Inquisitor often needs to bring people in alive. Alive, but not necessarily unharmed. Starting at third level, he may elect for any of his attacks, even spells, to deal purely non-lethal damage.

Sickening Smite (Su): starting at level four, the Inquisitor's Smite is painful and violent to creatures of Chaos. If any amount of damage gets past any DR and the target receives the bonus damage, they must make a Fortitude save or be Sickened for one minute. If they fail this save while already Sickened, they become Nauseated for one round. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Charisma Bonus.

Terror Beyond Death (Su): starting at level four, even the undead fear the Inquisitor. He may use Intimidate and [Fear] effects against them, however the effects are slightly different on them:
  • A simple penalty or the Shaken condition: affected by Halt Undead for one round (no save)
  • Frightened or Panicked condition: effectively Turned for one round per Inquisitor level
  • Cowering condition: effectively Rebuked for one round per Inquisitor level
  • Comatose condition or slain: Destroyed
  • Charmed or Dominated condition: effectively Commanded for one round per Inquisitor level
  • Bonuses somehow granted: effectively Bolstered for one round per Inquisitor level
Zealous Fervour (Ex): a fifth level Inquisitor is beyond concerns for personal safety. He becomes immune to [Fear] effects, and when charging may elect to double the damage dealt (aside from extra dice, as with a Critical hit). However, if he does this, all enemies deal double damage against him in a similar manner until his next turn.

Mark of Justice (Sp): at level five, the Inquisitor gains the ability to cast Mark of Justice once per day. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus.

Slayer: at levels six and fourteen, the Inquisitor wins a bonus feat. This may be any of the following: Mage Slayer, Giant Slayer, Ghost Hunter, Vampire Hunter, Faerie Stabber, Demon Hunter, Plant Killer, Dragon Slayer, Doppelganger Hunter, Angel Slayer and Seafood Chef.

Furthermore, the creatures the chosen feat applies to is treated as being [Chaotic] for the purpose of being affected by his Smite:
Feat:Smite Applies to:
Mage SlayerAnyone who can cast Spells
Giant SlayerGiants, creatures at least one size category larger than you
Ghost Hunter[Incorporeal] Undead
Vampire Hunter[Unliving] Undead
Faerie StabberFey
Demon Hunter[Evil] Outsiders
Plant KillerPlants
Dragon SlayerDragons
Doppelganger Hunter[Shapechanger]s
Angel Slayer[Good] Outsiders
Seafood ChefAberrations

Hold Person (Sp): at level six, the Inquisitor may cast Hold Person at will, but may only affect one target at a time. At level fifteen, he may cast Hold Monster at will, and may affect as many people at a time as he wishes (but still one target per casting). The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus.

Mettle (Ex): at level seven, the Inquisitor gains Mettle.

Eyebite (Sp): at level seven, the Inquisitor may cast Eyebite at will, but if he casts it while someone is still affected by it, the duration immediately ends for the target currently affected. He may elect to deliver a greater effect than normal when using it - treating the target's hit dice as the next stage lower - but doing so causes intense stress to the Inquisitor, granting him a Morale Penalty to Armour Class and Fortitude and Reflex Saves equal to his Charisma Bonus (minimum 1) until he next rests.

Domain (Ex): at levels seven and seventeen, the Inquisitor gains access to a Domain like a Cleric does. The Domain Spells are added to his Spell List and Spells Known, but he doesn't get special Domain Slots - he has to prepare them in his normal slots. He does not gain access to the Domain Power.

Horrific Smite (Su): at level eight, the Inquisitor's Smite attacks become truly horrifying. All enemies within 20 feet who can see the Inquisitor, when he delivers a Smite that successfully hits, must make a Will Save or be Shakened for 1 minute. If already Shakened when they fail the save, they Cower for 1 round instead. Non-Chaotic creatures who see this receive a +4 Mustache bonus to the saving throw, and the target of the Smite is not subject to this [Fear] effect, instead being subject to the Smite itself. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Charisma Bonus.

Burning Conviction (Su): the eighth-level Inquisitor is very angry, and scares people so hard they die from it. Any time he successfully Demoralises a foe, they suffer Fire damage equal to his Intimidate check. He may spend a prepared spell when doing this (not an action), and in doing so deals additional damage:
  • First Level: +2d6
  • Second Level:+4d6
  • Third Level: +6d6
  • Fourth Level: +8d6
  • Fifth Level: +10d6
Punish the Corrupt (Sp): a ninth level Inquisitor may cast Wrack at will. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus. Remember that this only affects Humanoid targets.

Zealous Lunacy (Ex): by tenth level, the Inquisitor is a few exploding lightbulbs short of a deathmatch, if you know what I mean. A number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (minimum 1), he may ignore requirements and Smite a foe with the benefits and abilities, regardless of their alignment or subtypes. He also becomes immune to Confusion (and any ability that causes Confusion), as well as ability damage/drain to mental ability scores. However he takes a -$Texas penalty on Diplomacy checks.

Burn the Witch (Su): at tenth level, the Inquisitor may make a standard melee attack (which may also be a Smite if applicable) as a Standard action which is particularly unpleasant to "witches". If the target is able to cast Spells or Spell-Like Abilities, they take 1d6 additional Fire damage per Class Level, and must pass a Reflex Save or catch fire. This will even work on himself, or other Inquisitors, due to their spells and Spell-Like Abilities. Such is their hypocrisy. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Charisma Bonus.

If the target is viable for his Smite attack (whether he Smites them or not), then it is Axiomatic Fire damage, which works exactly the same except ignores Immunity/Resistance to Fire damage.

Divine Pronouncement (Sp): an eleventh-level Inquisitor is able to cast Fear at will, but anyone affected by it is immediately released from the effects if he casts it again before the duration expires. Those who fail their saves are wracked by such horror that they are also Blinded for the duration. Additionally, this ability always has a Verbal component and can never be silenced - if he is unable to speak or in a zone of Silence, he cannot use this ability. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus.

Armour of Contempt (Su): a twelfth level Inquisitor can force attacks aside simply through sheer willpower and hatred. He may make Will saves in place of Fortitude saves, and is immune to [Death] effects. In short, he wouldn't die even if you killed him.

Hearing Voices (Sp): at level thirteen, the Inquisitor's spiral of madness worsens and he hears voices, generally his own beliefs reinforcing themselves. However once per day he may cast Contact Other Plane, without any risk, but with a 10% chance that he simply gets the answer he wants to hear, from himself.

Words of Torture (Su): with just a Standard Action, the thirteenth-level Inquisitor may shout at someone in a sufficiently scary manner. He makes a Demoralise attempt at them, and if it succeeds, it doesn't have the usual effects. Instead, the target has two choices:
  • Immediately drop what they are holding and spend one turn taking no action other than confessing and truthfully answering a single question.
  • Suffer 1d4 damage per hit die the Inquisitor has.
Each turn the Inquisitor may use this again, and if the same target is affected each turn and chooses the second option, the damage gets worse and worse: on the second consecutive turn, it becomes 1d6 per level. On the third consecutive turn, it becomes 1d8 per level. On the fourth consecutive turn, it becomes 1d10 per level. On the fifth consecutive turn and thereafter, it becomes 1d12 per level.

Terrible Smite (Su): a level fourteen Inquisitor who successfully deals damage with a Smite attack, providing the target does receive the bonus damage, is wounded so horribly that they take 4 points of Strength and Constitution damage. This damage occurs after saving throws are attempted for features such as Sickening or Deadly Smite.

Banishing Smite (Su): at level fifteen, the Inquisitor becomes adept at sending Outsiders back where they came from. Any Smite attack, even if the target is not valid for Smite (by not being Chaotic or [Chaotic]), causes a Banishment effect on the target. If the target is native to the current plane, this still has no special effect. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Charisma Bonus.

Dictum (Sp): at level sixteen, the Inquisitor may cast Dictum once per day.

Forcecage (Sp): a sixteenth level Inquisitor may cast Forcecage at will, but may not have more than one instance of it active at a single time.

Defy Witches (Su): a seventeenth level Inquisitor is used to being targeted by baleful spells, and has learned to deal with it. Any time the Inquisitor has been subject to an effect for at least one full round, if that effect could be removed by Break Enchantment, it immediately ends.

Imprisonment (Sp): at level eighteen, the Inquisitor may cast Imprisonment once per day. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Wisdom Bonus.

Deadly Smite (Su): a nineteenth level Inquisitor delivers deadly blows. Any foe who is successfully damaged by the Smite attack (and who receives the extra damage) must make a Fortitude save or die. This is not a [Death] effect, it just fucking kills people. The Inquisitor must decide whether the Smite is Sickening or Deadly, it cannot be both at the same time. The Save DC is 10 + half his hit dice + his Charisma Bonus.

Exterminatus (Su): at level twenty, every attack the Inquisitor makes is a Smite, with no limit, and he can simply treat everyone in the world as being Chaotic - the full benefits apply to everyone.

Inquisitor Spell List:
1st Level:
Protection Against Alignment, Bane, Cause Fear, Command, Comprehend Languages, Doom, Shield of Faith, Endure Elements, Magic Weapon, Impede, Omen of Peril, Detect Weaponry, Exorcism, Detect Taint, Conviction, Resist Planar Alignment, Scholar's Touch, Blade of Blood, Aid, Align Weapon, Find Traps, Shatter, Shield Other, Zone of Truth, Bewildering Visions, Lore of the Gods, Deific Vengeance, Manifestation of the Deity

2nd Level:
Divine Presence, Denounce, Brambles, Avoid Planar Effects, Black Karma Curse, Blade Brothers, Mark of Judgment, Share Talents, Bestow Curse, Dispel Magic, Invisibility Purge, Locate Object, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Prayer, Speak With Dead, Chain of Eyes, Spikes, Adoration of the Frightful, Devil's Eye, Resist Taint, Legion's Conviction, Delay Death, Mantle of Alignment, Crown of Smiting, Air Walk, Death Ward

3rd Level:
Dimensional Anchor, Dismissal, Greater Magic Weapon, Sending, Tongues, Sustain, Aligned Aura, Confound, Dampen Magic, Castigate, Recitation, Lower Spell Resistance, Legion's Aid, Atonement, Break Enchantment, Greater Command, Commune, Dispel Alignment, Flame Strike, Plane Shift, Raise Dead, Scrying, Symbol of Pain, True Seeing, Telepathy Block, Bleed, Mark of Sin, Stalwart Pact, Fire in the Blood, Oath of Blood

4th Level:
Banishment, Blade Barrier, Greater Dispel Magic, Find the Path, Forbiddance, Geas/Quest, Planar Ally, Symbol of Fear, Wind Walk, Word of Recall, Weight of Sin, Zealot Pact, Cloak of Hate, Repulsion, Greater Scrying, Symbol of Stunning, Symbol of Weakness, Renewal Pact, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Scry Location, Pact of Return, Call Kolyarut, Planar Bubble, Greater Plane Shift, Pulse of Hate

5th Level:
Bestow Greater Curse, Antimagic Field, Dimensional Lock, Discern Location, Fire Storm, Greater Planar Ally, Shield of Law, Symbol of Death, Symbol of Insanity, Brilliant Blade, Death Pact, Stormrage, Mass Death Ward, Familial Geas, Chain Dispel, Visions of the Future, Etherealness, Implosion, Miracle, Soul Bind, Storm of Vengeance, Righteous Exile, Imprison Soul, Call Marut, Summon Golem
Last edited by Koumei on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:04 am, edited 8 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I'd like to see Frenzied Berserker as simply a part of the Barbarian class, or maybe a few feats. Not a whole class.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The FB is nothing more than "A Barbarian, except MORE". It gets bigger power attack and it gets to attack its friends. I really don't see how that makes it anything special, it's just a higher-level Barbarian played by a fuckwit.