[Question] Kid-safe Anime

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Mango?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

That's this guy And he's probably not kid-safe.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Now that I'm reminded... Cooking Master Boy may be good.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Maj wrote:Mango?
Mango == manga, just as animu == anime. It's one of those stupid memes that just caught on, and although I should be ashamed, I'm not.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Ahh... Well, it's not gonna catch on in my house so long as I see it. Mango = a tropical fruit, and the proper response to the word is to repeat it as a question.

Thanks, Nicki Minaj.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The only time I saw Mango used that way was by Rayne in the Least I Could Do webcomic.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I would say the correct response is to go "Yes please, OM NOM NOM NOM", but I don't particularly like mangoes. I could probably list a dozen fruits I prefer to them. Speaking of which, Summer is approaching... delicious stonefruit season...

Back on topic:

Sakura Wars is a good anime for children. It is vaguely a mecha anime, in that it has (steam-powered) mecha in it, but it's not your Gundam "Blam blam EXPLODE!" show.

Also, and I might get shot* for this, a lot of the Magical Girlfriend series are pretty good for girls: girls tend to be the ones with the powers, and so it's kind of empowering. Compare with Naruto "Girls don't get to do anything useful you stupid bitch!" and say, Oh My Goddess, Steel Angel Kurumi** or Rosario to Vampire** are really good for girls who are still finding their way in the world. I may be biased though, as a girl who likes girls.

Oh! If you can find it, Chu-Bra (that I know of, you'd have to download it with fansubs). Which is an anime about underwear, but not in the same way that Ikkitousen and Rosario+Vampire are about underwear. It helps teach girls about the right kinds of underwear for comfort/not looking like a whore, and getting comfortable with their bodies and so on. It is not as pervy as I first hoped people will first assume, and would have been really handy in my developing years.

*Or people will say mean things to me. On the Internet.

**Probably not for younger audiences. Kurumi is a bit on the pervy side, and the creator was clearly a breast man (although come to think of it, it's no "worse" than say, Ranma 1/2), and Rosario to Vampire is a show about underwear, also it has a vampire in it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Sakura Wars is pretty good for kids. Basically Zoids, but with Steam-powered mecha and Japanese opera singing.

The rest though... ehehe. I will concede some Magic Girlfriend series are good, but the ones mentioned so far may not be ideal for a 4-5 year old.

Ultramaniac, despite the name, is a pretty good magic girl series that actually avoids most of the objectionable stuff commonly found in anime. So it may be a good option.

If you're looking for a girl power series though, I would suggest You're Under Arrest. It features two female cops as the leads.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Zinegata wrote: The rest though... ehehe. I will concede some Magic Girlfriend series are good, but the ones mentioned so far may not be ideal for a 4-5 year old.
I did point out that I wouldn't recommend Kurumi and Rosario to younger audiences (sexual references, nudity/underwear in large amounts, >implications that rubbing boobs in someone's face is an acceptable form of greeting*). But there's nothing wrong with Oh My Goddess, or say, Chobits or similar.

Although now that I think about it, I'm thinking "Mahoromatic? No, not appropriate. Koi Koi 7? Same. UFO Princess Valkyrie? Same." so I suppose the majority of Magical Girlfriend shows aren't so great for younger crowds.

Oh! I don't know how I forgot this one, but Sgt. Keroro/Sergeant Frog is awesome, and appropriate for anyone.

*Only older people, say 18 or so, should be encouraged to do this.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I know. I was trying to segue to talking about Ultramaniac, which is a decent Magic Girlfriend show suitable for kids.

Edit: Akazukin Cha Cha is another fun magic girl series for kids.

Oh My Goddess is great, and is tame enough for kids.

Chobits though... ergh... I'd put it more on the "Standard Magical Girlfriend Anime".

Keroro is funny, but I'd avoid showing it around native Koreans and Chinese. It has some episodes that are somewhat pro-WW2 Japan which doesn't go over wll with those audiences, and it's rather controversial in Korea and mainland China.

(But then again, China bans C&C: Generals too)
Last edited by Zinegata on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wesley Street
Knight

Post by Wesley Street »

The kids at my wife's school love 'One Piece' and 'Naruto'.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

In a few days, we'll be finishing up Book 3 of Avatar* and so I think I'll start with either "Sakura wars" or "Magic knight rayearth."

I'll go on netflix's watch instantly** tonight and see if these or any other show might be available like that.

*I just saw the wiki page for "Avatar: the legend of korra." and a bit fanboy psyched about it. Although a little sad that no show is ever dead these days. Everything has to somehow be continued at some point.

** I love this service so much as a dad. Any computer that I'm at with a broadband connection, and i can introduce my kid to all the shiite that I loved as a kid or do love as an
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

All right, my wife is being a little bit of a stickler.

She doesn't like watching bad dubs.

So out of the many kid friendly shows suggested, anybody know of one that has a decent english dub.

While I don't like a lot of bad dubs, I've learned to live with them. The kid isn't old enough to watch a fansub. She can read but not that fast.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Cowboy Bebop and Ranma 1/2 have good dubs.

-Username17
Ganbare Gincun
Duke

Post by Ganbare Gincun »

Kids come running for the great taste of Fist Of The North Star. :lol:
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

FrankTrollman wrote:Cowboy Bebop
Kid's shows people. Kid's shows :P

Kimba, Zoids, and Oh My Goddess all have good dubs. The rest I can't say as I've either had the local Tagalog dub or just plain sub.
Last edited by Zinegata on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Anyone know anything about the Read or die series? I watched an episode at a con a long time ago. That's the extent of my knowleldge. I mean I liked the episode but I can't remember anything about it. I know they have English dubs. Just want to know if it is worth it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It's alright. It involves a trio of paper benders mooching off of an author who pines for the protagonist of the Read or Die movie. It's about as kid-safe as Naruto, unless I'm forgetting something.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Cynic wrote:Anyone know anything about the Read or die series? I watched an episode at a con a long time ago. That's the extent of my knowleldge. I mean I liked the episode but I can't remember anything about it. I know they have English dubs. Just want to know if it is worth it.
R.O.D. the TV series (where the lead characters are 3 girls) gets rather convoluted near the end, to the point that even adults may find it hard to follow it.

Otherwise, it's a light, fun series where there isn't a lot of violence or nudity. Certainly nothing happens that is more objectionable than what happens in Naruto.

If you're referring to the OVA (where there is just 1 lead character with glasses), the story is a lot tighter while still being prettyy fun (and kid-safe). It also features George W. Bush wetting his pants.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I also nominate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It has a pretty good dub, the story isn't hard to follow, and as for objectionable content:
Nudity: one episode has male nudity (hot springs)
Service: Yoko is walking fan service, what with her short shorts and bikini top and massive boobs. Whatever though, have you seen a music video in the past 10-15 years?
Violence: mecha blowing each other up, occasionally a punch-up. No actual gore and stuff
Coarse language: the limit is "damn", "what a load of crap!" and "JUST WHO IN THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?"
Drug use: none
Sex scenes: none
Sexual references: occasional talk about Yoko's boobs

So it's pretty safe, and is awesome.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Cynic wrote:As I've done before, I have another question about a list of anime/animation that a 4-5 year old can watch.

As a reference point, she's seen all the Miyazaki films (Kiki's delivery service, Howl's moving castle, Castle in the sky), quite a few of the Disney movies (Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Sword in the stone), Don Bluth movies (secret of nimh, all dogs go to heaven), and a few of the Pixar flicks.

Oh, she also absolutely loves "Avatar: The last airbender." We're in the third season now and slowly coming towards the end and wondering what to show her next.

Her attention span is getting longer and longer. With all this info, could I get a few suggestions for animated shows or even manga/comics to view/watch.

She would be the one reading at this point. She's going through 3-4 books a day as well. So (aside from being a beaming father) what can I show her?

We're trying the first volume of the Inuyasha manga on her as I write this.

Some of the suggestions I was thinking about were Future Boy Conan, Astroboy, The little fairy sugar (or something like that), and maybe Doraemon. I've never seen the last one but have heard it's pretty tame and also fun.

~
Cynic
You sound like an awesome parent. :thumb:

Avatar: The Last Airbender is hard to top... that show is just pure gold.

Anywho, what about Fullmetal Alchemist? I'm not sure whether you would find that appropriate. There is certainly some heavier themes and some violence in it where body parts are lost (For example, the main characters at the very beginning of the series when they try to resurrect their mother).

Probably not much worse content-wise than Inuyasha beheading demons and such, though the plot is more mature. The story may be difficult to follow for a 5 year old, but then again, you know what she's capable of better than I do.

Anyways, the dub for FMA isn't too bad. There is a bit of a niggling issue with the way the series was produced, though. The first version diverged from the manga partway through and, while not terrible, certainly doesn't offer the same quality of overall plot that the manga story did. The second version, Brotherhood, skims over the first half of the story that the other version covered loyally to the manga very fast (and not very adequately) in the first several episodes, then goes on into the markedly superior manga version of the second half of the story.
Wesley Street wrote:The kids at my wife's school love 'One Piece' and 'Naruto'.
One Piece, at least, is one of the better long-running shonen anime (though I seem to recall it having a poor dub). And it actually seems to get better later in the series.
Cynic wrote: Anyone know anything about the Read or die series? I watched an episode at a con a long time ago. That's the extent of my knowleldge. I mean I liked the episode but I can't remember anything about it. I know they have English dubs. Just want to know if it is worth it.
I only watched the original miniseries.
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PaizoFanboy
NPC

Post by PaizoFanboy »

Two other suggestions for kid safe anime:

A Little Snow Fairy Sugar. Was localized by Geneon prior to it's demise so a dub (by Bang Zoom) exists for it. You can check out the trailer here.

King of the Braves GaoGaiGar. Shares much of the same spirit as Gurren Lagaan (plus they share some of the Japanese VA's too) but is much more kid friendly. Also was localized by MediaBlasters (although it's part dubbed- up to the 25th episode). You can check out the trailer here.