[Tome] My try at Tome feats

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

Or explicitly limit Mindsight to close range.
fatmonkey13
1st Level

Post by fatmonkey13 »

What if it got sending at a standard, move, or swift action instead of long range telepathy?

Also I am working on another one:

Blink
Benefit by ranks in Jump:
0 Blink (Su): Once per round, as a full round action you may teleport up to you move as a standard action. You are not impared from taking other actions after a Blink.
4 You may now use Blink as a standard action.
9 You may now use Blink as a move action, and move up to twice your base movement.
14 You may now use Blink as a swift action, and move up to medium range (100' + 10' per rank in Jump)
19 You may now use Blinks as a free action, and move up to long range (400' + 100' per rank in Jump)
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

shirak wrote: The original Mindsight in Calamari Cooking did not allow pin pointing of location. Now knowing which square a creature is in is pretty cool at 11th level for a Rogue or similar. Knowing exact locations is a bit too much methinks.
Mindsight
A creature that has this feat possesses innate telepathic ability
that allows it to precisely pinpoint other thinking beings
within range of its telepathy. The creature perceives where the
others are and how powerful their intellects are.
Prerequisite: Telepathy special quality.
Benefit: A creature that has this feat can detect and pinpoint
beings that are not mindless (anything with an Intelligence
score of 1 or higher) within range of its telepathy.
This works
much like blindsense—the creature knows what square each
thinking being is in, but it does not see the being, and the
being still has total concealment unless the creature can see
it by some other means.
The creature also perceives several observable characteristics
about each being detected with mindsight, including the
being’s type and Intelligence score. The creature need not take
any additional or special actions to gain this information; it is
as obvious to mindsight as the being’s race and clothing would
be to eyesight.
Normal: Telepathy offers no special ability to sense other
minds. The creature has to know that a being is there to communicate
with it telepathically.
Kaelik wrote:Are you idiots coming up with ridiculous telepathy ranges aware of the fact that you are also giving mindsight with the same feat? Retards.

One thing that I never want to happen as player or DM is "I teleport to the city." "Okay, you detect five thousand humanoids with Ints from 8-12. 36 Int 20 humanoids. And 5 int 14 monstrous humanoids. Also another 13 Int 26 humanoids, one dragon with 23 int, and 6 outsiders with ints ranging from 14-20."

Only add direction to all that as well.

200ft telepathy is the maximum.
Are you idiots coming up with ridiculous telepathyvision ranges aware of the fact that you are also giving mindsight with the same featletting people see? Retards.

One thing that I never want to happen as player or DM is "I teleport to the city." "Okay, you detect five thousand humanoids with Ints from 8-12dressed in brown wool pants with grey cotton tops, straw hats, and white hair. 36 Int 20purple velvet-wearing humanoids. And 5 int 14bear hide garbed monstrous humanoids. Also another 13 Int 26magical forcefield plate mail-wearing humanoids, one dragon with 23 int a magic crown, and 6 outsiders with ints ranging from 14-20 trumpets that turn into greatswords and big feathered wings."

Only add direction to all that as well.

200ft vision is the maximum.

And, yes, Mindsight can detect through opaque objects, which lets you detect significantly more creatures in some circumstances. Vision, however, has much greater range.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

fatmonkey13
1st Level

Post by fatmonkey13 »

I see both points for the range, and in my own game would keep it longer, as a near epic character being able to sense everyone in a small city, and talk to them at once is not too powerful (considered that some other guy is using gate to summon demons, and some ass shrunk a few objects he wants to drop on the city, also there is a dust devil that has disintegrate at will as a breath weapon...)
Last edited by fatmonkey13 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

It's not a question of power but of retard level bookkeeping.
Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

I'm not going to say that 1000' mindsight is a good idea ('cause it's not), but the problems can be mitigated if you really, really want it. Four words: "make a spot check".
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

fatmonkey13 wrote:Blink
0 Blink (Su): Once per round, as a full round action you may teleport up to you move as a standard action. You are not impared from taking other actions after a Blink.
4 You may now use Blink as a standard action.
9 You may now use Blink as a move action, and move up to twice your base movement.
14 You may now use Blink as a swift action, and move up to medium range (100' + 10' per rank in Jump)
19 You may now use Blinks as a free action, and move up to long range (400' + 100' per rank in Jump)
What on earth does "as a full round action you may teleport up to you move as a standard action" mean?

Okay, you probably want to call it something other than blink since it already exists and is one of the more awesome spells. Long range is 400' + 40'/whatever. I would really just pick one of the two things you're doing with the 14 and 19 versions. Either it becomes a swift and then a free action or it stays a move action but the range increases.
fatmonkey13
1st Level

Post by fatmonkey13 »

The choice of Blink was because that is the name of the ability blink dogs have wich allows them to teleport up to long range as free action 1/round.

How about this:

Telejump [skill (Sense Motive)] (added in Rev.10)
0 Telejump (Su): Once per round, as a full round action you may teleport up to you base movement speed. You are not impared from taking other actions after a Telejump.
4 You may now use Telejump as a standard action.
9 You may now use Telejump as a move action, and move up to twice your base movement.
14 You may now use Telejump as a swift action, and move up to long range (400' + 100' per rank in Jump)
19 You may now use Telejump as a free action.
Last edited by fatmonkey13 on Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Dammit Vebyast, now I have to find all the Waldo Items!
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

Catharz, the full version of Mindsight you quoted specifies that you pinpoint locations down to the square so a creature hidden/invisible/whatever still has full concealment. And that is good.
fatmonkey13 wrote:I see both points for the range, and in my own game would keep it longer, as a near epic character being able to sense everyone in a small city, and talk to them at once is not too powerful (considered that some other guy is using gate to summon demons, and some ass shrunk a few objects he wants to drop on the city, also there is a dust devil that has disintegrate at will as a breath weapon...)
I don't see the problem. You'll simply get told of the important/interesting stuff like the Dragon. Nobody cares about the 5000+ peasants anyway.

Though I can see the problem with walking in the palace and asking the King, "Why is your adviser Undead?", the same can be said about Mindsight regardless of distance. I don't even know why you learn the type of creatures. I can see learning Intelligence but how can you tell the difference between a guy and his cat and not a guy and his catgirl?
fatmonkey13 wrote:Telejump
This should really not be based off of Sense Motive. Tumble or Escape Artist are my suggestions.

Also you should specify you are talking about Land speed (or not). I'd simply make it Close range myself.

Finally, on sending. Getting it as a spell-like at any level gives you the awesome ability of making somebody hear 25 words. Sure, you can keep your quest giver updated on your adventures and annoy your enemies by spamming them but seriously, who cares?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Red_Rob wrote:Dammit Vebyast, now I have to find all the Waldo Items!
I can't help but feel that white-out plus a Where's Waldo/Wally book would make an awesome gift for someone.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

shirak wrote:Catharz, the full version of Mindsight you quoted specifies that you pinpoint locations down to the square so a creature hidden/invisible/whatever still has full concealment. And that is good.
That's what "pinpoint" means in D&D: you know what square something is in.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Vebyast
Knight-Baron

Post by Vebyast »

Koumei wrote:
I can't help but feel that white-out plus a Where's Waldo/Wally book would make an awesome gift for someone.
As separate items, or with the white-out already applied?
DSMatticus wrote:There are two things you can learn from the Gaming Den:
1) Good design practices.
2) How to be a zookeeper for hyper-intelligent shit-flinging apes.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Vebyast wrote:
Koumei wrote:
As separate items, or with the white-out already applied?
I'm pretty sure the latter.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:That's what "pinpoint" means in D&D: you know what square something is in.
I didn't know there was a technical definition of "pinpoint" in D&D. Huh.