"He hears you when you say his name..."

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

"He hears you when you say his name..."

Post by fbmf »

I once saw some PrC somewhere that allowed the ability to automatically know when someone spoke your name. As long as you were on the same Plane as the speaker, distance and/or normal hearing range was not a factor.

In a Tome game, what would that be worth? At what level would that be an appropriate effect for a feat or whatever to grant?

Game On,
fbmf
K
King

Post by K »

It's from Dragon Magazine, and I want to say.... "Eldritch Master"? "Edritch" something, at least.

It allowed you to hear your name, and seven words after that. Basically it's like a free one-way Sending, so I'd rate it as a flavor ability one gets around 7th-9th level.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

I think a truenamer PrC got this, and that there was a bloodline ability in Birthright (AD&D) which did the same thing.

If there's the potential to seriously distract a PC (a hundred kobolds yelling his name simultaneously) this almost has a negative value.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, I'd be interested in someone getting a buff from people saying his name, to duplicate a scene in Doctor Who.

While an inaccurate duplicate, it'd work.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Hey I remember that class. The name ability was its only saving grace, as the rest of it sucked ass.

Just make it a feat or something. Level 9 spells seems right.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
BearsAreBrown
Master

Post by BearsAreBrown »

Truenamer class gets it as a capstone with the added ability of a free teleport. Ears of the Mage from Dragon 359 tells you if someone said the name within CL * 10 miles and who/where that person is. Requires level 14.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

For a minute there I thought this was gonna be a thread about Beetlejuice. I'm leaving disappointed.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I was reminded of Hastur, as well as the saying:

"Speak of the Devil (and the Devil will appear)"

In Chinese, it is "Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao arrives", and in Russian "Mention a wolf and wolves will come".

Kind of interesting how the phrase appeared everywhere.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Koumei wrote:I was reminded of Hastur, as well as the saying:

"Speak of the Devil (and the Devil will appear)"

In Chinese, it is "Speak of Cao Cao, and Cao Cao arrives", and in Russian "Mention a wolf and wolves will come".

Kind of interesting how the phrase appeared everywhere.
Just the general superstition of "calling something by name calls it", but yes, it is interesting that it is that widespread, and that almost the exact same phrase shows up across cultures like that.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

The "Grither"

Post by Midnight_v »

It is funny and oddly this comes up around christmas, I rember this old episode of I think the show was called "Monsters" and it had this one episode with this thing that was like ... I don't know it was tied into santa claus mythology the way they explained it, still couldn't say its name or it would come "the Grither" scared the hell out of me as a kid :ugone2far: .
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Tales from the Darkside, Season 3, Episode 11: "Seasons of Belief"

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vmIBbjv6A

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi2uKYsk0c
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

And looking through this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_of_the_devil

...I see all kinds of cool stuff.

The Swedish version has trolls. Pretty much everyone else is the devil or dogs or wolves (or Cao Cao)... except the Yiddish version, which is pure awesome for being the only humorous one:

"A shod m'hot nisht geredt fun moshiach" which translates to "We should have talked about the Messiah."
Xenologer
1st Level

Post by Xenologer »

BearsAreBrown wrote:Truenamer class gets it as a capstone with the added ability of a free teleport.
Now I want to build Candlejack in
Last edited by Xenologer on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Little is as dangerous as thousands of frog-zealots, willing to die for their misguided king and alleged messiah." -Rice Boy
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

mean_liar wrote: The Swedish version has trolls.
Speak of the troll and lol i troll u
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Midnight_v
Knight-Baron

Post by Midnight_v »

mean_liar wrote:Tales from the Darkside, Season 3, Episode 11: "Seasons of Belief"

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1vmIBbjv6A

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqi2uKYsk0c
:mrgreen: Holy snap! Thanks for that... I think... :sad: nightmare fuel for fun and laughs
Don't hate the world you see, create the world you want....
Dear Midnight, you have actually made me sad. I took a day off of posting yesterday because of actual sadness you made me feel in my heart for you.
...If only you'd have stopped forever...
Princess
Journeyman

Post by Princess »

Ears of the Mage feat from 359 DrM